How to protect PC from power issues?

grangervoldemort

I live in the UK.

Home has been rewired by my dad and an uncle. Neither of whom are electricians.

When the downstairs light in the kitchen below my room is switched on (it's on the same wiring as my bedroom sockets), my PC speakers (Logitech Z5500) make a little sound. Seems to be a possible spike when the light is switched on?

What can I do/buy to protect my PC from any possible damage caused by little spikes that would get through a surge protector, as they are small, but that overtime will damage the PSU and components?

I have had many issues for over a decade with my PC's I build that all seem to have been power related. Recently my GPU died after some nscreen flickering (dead RAM the PC repair guy told me who I gave the GPU for testing too, and he said probably a power issue with the PSU and or home wiring), fan controller died.

Today my PC refused to go into sleep mode and stayed on despite showing me the login screen after I pressed sleep (tried a few times).

This paragraph is from a post last year on here in Dec 2018 by myself: '' I am thinking of getting rid of this TX650W I have right now because as of today my Fan controller died and I also experienced other weird things like a disconnect then connect sound in Windows 10... at the same time the screen flickered, my GPU defaulted back to Auto by itself and the CPU fan shot up to max speed like it does on system boot temporarily. I think it may be the PSU.''

What other power issues could cause damage to the PC that I need to protect it from? I know of brown outs or something like that and ermmm that's all I remember.

I need someone with electronics knowledge to answer this please.

Thanks.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Samsung Green 8GB DDR3 C11 1600Mhz 30nm
- Gigabyte HD 7870 OC Windforce 3x 2GB

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- TP-Link Wireless N Adapter TL-WDN4800
- Bluetooth Adapter - TRUST 17772

- OS Drive Crucial MX500 500GB

- Samsung BluRay ODD

Lian Li SATA power switch BZ-H06B
BitFenix Recon Internet-Connected Fan Controller
Zalman CNPS9500AT with Zalman ZM-CS5B CNPS Clip Support

1 hour ago, dev1234567890 said:

Get a UPS and plug everything into that.

Cyberpower or APC if you can get them in the UK.

....that is only for a total loss of power. It's not going to resolve the issues I suspect which is power issues as stated above. Not total loss of power. 

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

7 hours ago, dev1234567890 said:

It will provide a regulated output with no spikes, drops or issues no matter whats happening on the other side.

Please provide a link to one that would do that available here in the UK. Why do I need a ups? How is a backup battery going to do all that? 

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

23 hours ago, grangervoldemort said:

I live in the UK.

When the downstairs light in the kitchen below my room is switched on (it's on the same wiring as my bedroom sockets), my PC speakers (Logitech Z5500) make a little sound. Seems to be a possible spike when the light is switched on?

What can I do/buy to protect my PC from any possible damage caused by little spikes that would get through a surge protector, as they are small, but that overtime will damage the PSU and components?

I have had many issues for over a decade with my PC's I build that all seem to have been power related. Recently my GPU died after some nscreen flickering (dead RAM the PC repair guy told me who I gave the GPU for testing too, and he said probably a power issue with the PSU and or home wiring), fan controller died.

Today my PC refused to go into sleep mode and stayed on despite showing me the login screen after I pressed sleep (tried a few times).

This paragraph is from a post last year on here in Dec 2018 by myself: '' I am thinking of getting rid of this TX650W I have right now because as of today my Fan controller died and I also experienced other weird things like a disconnect then connect sound in Windows 10... at the same time the screen flickered, my GPU defaulted back to Auto by itself and the CPU fan shot up to max speed like it does on system boot temporarily. I think it may be the PSU.''

What other power issues could cause damage to the PC that I need to protect it from? I know of brown outs or something like that and ermmm that's all I remember.

I need someone with electronics knowledge to answer this please.

Thanks.

For the problem of your computer going to login screen no matter what you do reset shut down it has to do with your windows 10 fast start up, if you turn that off your computer will work perfectly again I always have it turned off cause it always puts me in a like a cycle and doesn’t shut off.

My PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor (4.4Ghz), MOBO: GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Gaming 7 WiFi (AMD Ryzen AM4/ X470/ Intel Wave 2 WiFi/M.2), RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15, GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD Graphics Cards, STORAGE: 120GB CRUCIAL SSD, 1TB WD BLUE, COOLER: Cooler Master 212 EVO RGB Black Edition, FANS: 4 x MasterFan MF120R RGB (2 Front, 1 Back, 1 Top), 1 x Noctua NF-P12 Redux 1700 RPM(Back off Cooler), PC CASE: Cooler Master MB500 case, PSU: EVGA 750 BQ.

My Kids PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 (95watt @3.5Ghz @1.40V), MOBO: ASUS M2A-VM, RAM: Kingston 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800MHz, GPU: nVidia GT 710 2GB DDR3 (OC’ed Clock to 1300Mhz and Memory to 950Mhz), STORAGE: 250GB HDD, 500GB HDD, COOLER:  Cooler Master 212 EVO, PC CASE: Cooler Master Q300L , FANS: 3 x upHere RED LED Fans (2 Front, 1 Back), PSU: Generic 300 Watt PSU.

Console:  PS4 - vjizzle2384

15 hours ago, grangervoldemort said:

Please provide a link to one that would do that available here in the UK. Why do I need a ups? How is a backup battery going to do all that? 

A UPS or battery backup also helps to clean and regulate power. While it's primary function is, yes, to act as a brief power source after a total loss it also helps to maintain steady clean power limiting spikes, sags, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

You could also look in to a power conditioner, if you don't care about the battery function of a UPS this would be better. I personally have 2 deployed in my house, very happy with them.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

On 8/10/2019 at 6:21 PM, grangervoldemort said:

I live in the UK.

Yikes

This is a dirty power signal, a poor wiring job will certainly do this.

UPS or Power Conditioner, as said above. The latter is the former without a battery.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

I already searched for power conditioners. Here in the UK on the internet there are none. Please provide me with links if you can find some. The first result that comes up is a 35 pound extension socket pile of crap

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

3 hours ago, dev1234567890 said:

You'll have to do some research yourself. Google 'best UPS for small office or home' and read some reviews or watch some youtube videos. They are not only battery backups as you think. If I give you a make and model then you have learnt nothing, I pointed you in the right direction, now go young padawan and explore the possibilities.

Did some research. There's line interactive and online. 

Line interactive seem common but APC don't list what type theirs are. 

The site I'm looking at mentions only power drop protection offered by this. Not LITTLE spikes. 

Will it protect from little power spikes and big ones or do I need an online ups?

Photo provide. 

Online seems the most complete. But those start at 4k each and are rack mounted. 

I don't get why power conditioners aren't just available without the battery aspect. 

IMPORTANT EDIT. Chock this out.

Apparently nothing other than correcting the wiring will resolve it. 

Photo attached. 

15655763263791160514004800652193.jpg

15655770487416654763222439145476.jpg

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

you want a pure sign wave ups. make sure to get one that supports active pfc power supplies.

it will switch on and off depending if the voltage spikes over a certain limit. you also want a Automatic Voltage Regulation (line interactive) to correct minor spikes in voltage without switching to battery. 

the best option would be one that operates in online mode, but those are probably outside your budget and really only implemented in server rooms for electronics really sensitive to power fluctuations.

ups i personally use (line interactive)

https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1500PFCLCD-Sinewave-Outlets-Mini-Tower/dp/B00429N19W

ups online mode

https://www.ballicom.co.uk/cyberpower-smart-app-online-ol1000ertxl2u.p898807.html

expensive designed for datacenters installed in racks

19 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

you want a pure sign wave ups. make sure to get one that supports active pfc power supplies

I edited my last post. Check it out please. Also I came across this in my research, but info is not in any one coherent place. It was a question someone asked corsair and they never replied. 

Apparently pure sinewave destroys psu's. 

Also how can one tell if a psu has that active stuff in it? 

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

Just now, grangervoldemort said:

I edited my last post. Check it out please. Also I came across this in my research, but info is not in any one coherent place. It was a question someone asked corsair and they never replied. 

Currently pure sinewave destroys psu's. 

Also how can one tell if a psu has that active stuff in it? 

you need a ups that supports active pfc, pure signwave will not destroy power supplies

i suggest you read more about active pfc and ups

Please read the second post in attached photo. 

1565577715990579445129048463330.jpg

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

obviously if there is a wiring problem you should get that fixed.

you have a bigger problem as your house could catch on fire.

these are designed to smooth out power from the hydro utilities during brownouts and not meant to correct the problems all the time (outputs pure sign only on battery).

you would need an online mode ups for that.

however, thats just one outlet in the house if you have a serious issue you need an electrician to look at the wiring. however, it sounds like you arnt sure and i wouldnt take the technicans word.

consumer ups isnt really designed to correct poor wiring, it does have line interactive but that kicks in only reaching certain thresholds,note the point of active pfc is to correct minor voltage functions your power supply might be already doing this.

3 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

obviously if there is a wiring problem you should get that fixed.

you have a bigger problem as your house could catch on fire.

these are designed to smooth out power from the hydro utilities during brownouts and not meant to correct the problems all the time. you would need an online mode ups for that.

however, thats just one outlet in the house if you have a serious issue you need an electrician to look at the wiring.

My parents are abusive Indians. They own the house. There's nothing I can do with regards to an electrician. The last time I called an electrician over, he asked my dad to see the wiring certificate for the downstairs business part of the property which my dad claims has been installed by qualified electricians. 

When he asked to see that my dad went psycho. I broke down in tears later in the kitchen in front of the electrican. He was however a dodgy electrician as when I asked him for a quote he said he can't give me one as the price may change as he doesn't know what he will find in terms of wiring behind walls etc. At the time I wanted the new breakers installed. The type where if you touch a live wire, it cuts the power. 

I can't afford an online ups.

I wonder how many people that are replying are qualified electricians and have working knowledge of electrics as I asked in my op.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

2 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

Please read the second post in attached photo. 

lol, I recognise that forum. That's whirlpool... Why did you take a photo of your monitor instead of either linking to the post, copying and pasting the relevant information, or taking a screenshot? :S

The thread is here for anyone that doesn't want to read a photo of a comment on a monitor screen: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/970z21w3#r24238318

If you want to filter the power to your system you will need what is known as an "Online" UPS. These take the mains AC power, convert it to DC current, charge the batteries, then convert the DC current coming out back in to AC current. They're always running through the battery, not just when the power is cut. This will filter out any noise or interference from the mains power. I'm by far not an expert in UPS, so I would recommend doing your own research in to it before buying.

On 8/11/2019 at 8:21 AM, grangervoldemort said:

I live in the UK.

Aren't there laws against doing electrical work if you're not licensed in the UK? Or is it just more of a "If your house burns downs then you're not covered by insurance" type deal?

1 minute ago, grangervoldemort said:

He was however a dodgy electrician as when I asked him for a quote he said he can't give me one as the price may change as he doesn't know what he will find in terms of wiring behind walls etc.

If "dodgy electrician" is one who does not have x-ray vision to see the internal wiring in your walls from the street, then I guess they're all dodgy.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

i am not a certified electrician. I however work in the it field and have a good idea on what you describe.

I imagine any electrician will want to test your outlets and wiring.

the internet will only be able to give you general guidance

15 minutes ago, Spotty said:

lol, I recognise that forum. That's whirlpool... Why did you take a photo of your monitor instead of either linking to the post, copying and pasting the relevant information, or taking a screenshot? :S

The thread is here for anyone that doesn't want to read a photo of a comment on a monitor screen: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/970z21w3#r24238318

If you want to filter the power to your system you will need what is known as an "Online" UPS. These take the mains AC power, convert it to DC current, charge the batteries, then convert the DC current coming out back in to AC current. They're always running through the battery, not just when the power is cut. This will filter out any noise or interference from the mains power. I'm by far not an expert in UPS, so I would recommend doing your own research in to it before buying.

Aren't there laws against doing electrical work if you're not licensed in the UK? Or is it just more of a "If your house burns downs then you're not covered by insurance" type deal?

If "dodgy electrician" is one who does not have x-ray vision to see the internal wiring in your walls from the street, then I guess they're all dodgy.

Because on my laptop I'm not logged in. I can't remember my password right now so easier to take l photo. I'm typing from on phone. 

Can't afford a £4k to £10k online ups.

Had company electricians that supplies electricity come over for a grounding check. They do that for free as that's the companies duty.

They said he sounds dodgy. That a good electrician can obviously provide a quote. 

Also that electrician had no sympathy when I cried. He was indifferent. 

Here in the UK, tradespeople are usually people with criminal pasts and some are still criminals.

They are notorious for being dodgy.

I'm taking a carpenter to court soon after he left me with a non lockable door and damaged my door cosmetically. 

Also they all write 'no job too small' but if it's a small job they're not interested. 

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

8 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

Because on my laptop I'm not logged in. I can't remember my password right now so easier to take l photo. I'm typing from on phone. 

Had company electricians that supplies electricity come over for a grounding check. 

They said he sounds dodgy. That a good electrician can obviously provide a quote. 

Also that electrician had no sympathy when I cried. He was indifferent. 

Here in the UK, tradespeople are usually people with criminal pasts and some are still criminals.

They are notorious for being dodgy.

I'm taking a carpenter to court soon after he left me with a non lockable door and damaged my door cosmetically. 

Also they all write 'no job too small' but if it's a small job they're not interested. 

it would been far better if your father had the work certified during the rough in of the electrical work.

its impossible for any of us to know if it was done properly,

if it was not. its not just your computer thats at risk but your life. electrical fires are fairly common

you focused on protecting your pc, but also think of your life. 

15 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

it would been far better if your father had the work certified during the rough in of the electrical work.

its impossible for any of to know if it was done properly,

if it was not. its not just your computer thats at risk but your life. electrical fires are fairly common 

I'm not even allowed to talk about it. Last time I did I was almost made homeless by him and my stepmother. Any wrong he does I'm not allowed to talk about. Same with the asbestos ceilings. 

If it makes any difference, the house was rewired by my dad and the family friend (we call uncle... It's an Indian thing) 7 years ago or 8 years ago. 

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

you best to get ups and move out than. there is other things you could do but i suspect that would cause further wedge. your issue isnt a technical one but a emotional one.

you know the solution is an electrician needs to look at the wiring. your father is putting everyones life at risk. i suspect you have seen other issues that leads you to believe poor electrical wiring. 

that stuff is behind walls, you can easily fall asleep and something catch on fire. get good smoke detectors

If you house was wired by your uncle and father, who are not electricians, you've got bigger issues that can't be fixed with one simple cheap device.

4 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

you best to get ups and move out than. there is other things you could do but i suspect that would cause further wedge. your issue isnt a technical one but a emotional one.

you know the solution is an electrician needs to look at the wiring. your father is putting everyones life at risk. i suspect you have seen other issues that leads you to believe poor electrical wiring. 

that stuff is behind walls, you can easily fall asleep and something catch on fire. get good smoke detectors

As above, you have bigger issues than your computer to worry about.

In the meantime, you'll have to deal with the problems, but I would at least get a surge protected power block and plug everything into that, for a little bit of protection.