SSD TIER LIST

VEXICUS
1 minute ago, SSD Sean said:

Yeah, but it is not an industry standard term...So, you're saying DLC is a made up term by you forum goers for the real term - MLC? 

Yes, pretty much, as the term MLC can be confusing as it can refer both to multi-level NAND in general (including TLC & QLC) and to 2-level NAND specifically.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

1 minute ago, Juular said:

Yes, pretty much, as the term MLC can be confusing as it can refer both to multi-level NAND in general (including TLC & QLC) and to 2-level NAND specifically.

Are you sure DLC doesn't mean downloadable capacity? I didn't know we all could just go and make up terms all willy-nilly now. 

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

13 minutes ago, SSD Sean said:

What does DLC mean? 

Same as SLC, and TLC.

Changes the prefix for it to mean dual layer cell. Instead of the more widely used Multi layer cell which used to signify 2 layer cells. Except samsung who cucked it with marketing. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Same as SLC, and TLC.

Changes the prefix for it to mean dual layer cell. Instead of the more widely used Multi layer cell which used to signify 2 layer cells. Except samsung who cucked it with marketing. 

So, you're just making up terms now, right?

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

Just now, SSD Sean said:

Are you sure DLC doesn't mean downloadable capacity? I didn't know we all could just go and make up terms all willy nilly now. 

You change a prefix. 

Not the actual term itself. 

Its a far more descriptive term than what MLC is and removes confusion created by the MLC name. 

DLC in terms of games relates to "downloadable content"

2 minutes ago, SSD Sean said:

So, you're just making up terms now, right?

Im changing the prefix of one. 

HLC isnt a thing afaik. But would signify Hexa Layer Cell. 

Is it unused? Yes. Do i care, no. Because its just a better term as long as the context of the convo is known. 

9 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

You change a prefix. 

Not the actual term itself. 

Its a far more descriptive term than what MLC is and removes confusion created by the MLC name. 

DLC in terms of games relates to "downloadable content"

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Im changing the prefix of one. 

HLC isnt a thing afaik. But would signify Hexa Layer Cell. 

Is it unused? Yes. Do i care, no. Because its just a better term as long as the context of the convo is known. 

You made it up LOL. DLC (Dual-Level Cell) is not an industry standard term when referring to flash. Simple. You're just adding more confusion. Simply state 2-bit MLC, 3-bit MLC, or 4-bit MLC if you like, but don't go and confuse people more.  You even admit you're adding confusion. This is hilarious. I thought the goal is to clarify things, not pass false information. 

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

@VEXICUS good to see you're working on this tier list but i don't see the need for color coding controllers, it's pointless. Color coding QLC NAND based and PCIe 4.0 SSDs (assuming they can reach interface speeds) might be more useful. And you're still missing Team MP30\32\33\34, Mushkin Pilot-E, Lexar NM500\600, ADATA SX8100\S40G SSDs. Also, tier C WD Black has SN500 model name which would be more specific (and i don't really see why it's in tier C, it's really almost the same performance wise as SN750, just without the heatsink). Also, Mushkin Helix-L isn't that bad, it's on par with Intel 660p.

Edit: Also, there's ADATA SX6000 Pro brother SSD, XPG S5.

4 minutes ago, Juular said:

@VEXICUS good to see you're working on this tier list but i don't see the need for color coding controllers, it's pointless. Color coding QLC NAND based and PCIe 4.0 SSDs (assuming they can reach interface speeds) might be more useful. And you're still missing Team MP30\32\33\34, Mushkin Pilot-E, Lexar NM500\600, ADATA SX8100\S40G SSDs. Also, tier C WD Black has SN500 model name which would be more specific (and i don't really see why it's in tier C, it's really almost the same performance wise as SN750, just without the heatsink). Also, Mushkin Helix-L isn't that bad, it's on par with Intel 660p.

Edit: Also, there's ADATA SX6000 Pro brother SSD, XPG S5.

There's a few to add to say the least. The list doesn't even have Intel's Optane 905p. 

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

Just now, SSD Sean said:

There's a few to add to say the least. The list doesn't even have Intel's Optane 905p. 

Because it's not consumer SSD.

1 minute ago, Juular said:

Because it's not consumer SSD.

It is entirely so. Just a big price tag. 

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

3 minutes ago, SSD Sean said:

You made it up LOL. DLC is not an industry standard term when referring to flash.

If you call chaning a prefix in a prefix determined naming scheme as "making it up". Sure. 

4 minutes ago, SSD Sean said:

You're just adding more confusion

If you dont have context for the conversation. Yes. 

5 minutes ago, SSD Sean said:

simply state 2-bit MLC or 3-MLC if you like, but don't go and confuse people more. 

Would involve a whole lot more characters. Hence im not doing that as that would invalidate way more common terms such as SLC, TLC, QLC and upcomming PLC. 

Wouldnt be an issue if a certain company didnt decide to mess with calling everything MLC, but here we are. 

Just now, SSD Sean said:

It is entirely so. Just a big price tag. 

Is Epyc 6742 a consumer CPU?

I should probably be added in tho many other drives would take priority. 

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Is Epyc 6742 a consumer CPU?

I should probably be added in tho many other drives would take priority. 

No, it is a server CPU. Targeted at enterprise workloads. They aren't marketing that CPU for gaming, right? Intel is.

The 905p is meant for prosumers - professional consumers - and enthusiasts. Sorry that I have to spell it out for you. 

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

No, it is a server CPU. They aren't marketing that CPU for gaming, right? Intel is. 

Which doesn't make it consumer level with 1.6k$ price tag. I get it, there are people that make Threadripper builds for gaming too but it doesn't make TR a gaming CPU just because it's good at it and you can do it if you're made of money.

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

Which doesn't make it consumer level with 1.6k$ price tag. I get it, there are people that make Threadripper builds for gaming too but it doesn't make TR a gaming CPU just because it's good at it and you can do it if you're made of money.

Please read: 

The 905p is meant for prosumers - professional consumers - and enthusiasts. Desktops and workstations - NOT SERVER WORKLOADS. It is not marketed towards such - their Optane 4800X, on the other hand, is. 

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

Intel is. 

Ive found people testing it for games. 

Not found intel marketing material calling it for gaming.

4 minutes ago, SSD Sean said:

No, it is a server CPU. They aren't marketing that CPU for gaming, right?

Kinda are. Considering they are marketing themselves for cloud gaming solutions. 

And people have tested it for gaming. To use your own words. The pricetag is just very big

1 minute ago, SSD Sean said:

Please read: 

The 905p is meant for prosumers - professional consumers - and enthusiasts. 

Then as far as i can tell. Epyc is also consumer for the same reason. 

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Kinda are. Considering they are marketing themselves for cloud gaming solutions. 

And people have tested it for gaming. To use your own words. The pricetag is just very big

Intel's isn't marketing optane for gaming? Dude... https://newsroom.intel.com/news/blazing-fast-gaming-intels-first-client-optane-ssd/ 

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

LOL, nothing in the same. You are comparing your thoughts and i'm sharing facts. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

that right there is the intel 900p. not the 905p. 

900 Series - 905P is part of it. LOL

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

13 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

that right there is the intel 900p. not the 905p. 

900 Series - 905P is part of it. LOL 

Even then, you still can not deny they are consumer drives as they are designed for: 

"The Intel® Optane™ SSD 905P is designed for the most demanding storage workloads in client systems, delivering high random read/write performance coupled with
low latency and industry-leading endurance.1 Built with Intel® Optane™ technology, a revolutionary class of non-volatile memory, the Intel® Optane™ SSD 905P is empowering professional users, content creators, and enthusiasts to extract greater platform performance."

Please read. I put some important terms in bold for you to google maybe. Please, I am awaiting proof that the 905P is not marketed towards consumers. You have yet to present any evidence while I have presented plenty.

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

10 minutes ago, SSD Sean said:

The 905p is meant for prosumers - professional consumers - and enthusiasts. Desktops and workstations - NOT SERVER WORKLOADS. It is not marketed towards such - their Optane 4800X, on the other hand, is.

If Intel thinks that people would buy 1.6k$ SSD for gaming\workstation it doesn't make it consumer SSD, it's for enthusiasts - sure, for prosumers with lotta money - sure, it's not consumer oriented with this price tag. I can't imagine the workload type that will benefit from Optane in comparison with much cheaper but still ridiculously overpriced Samsung 970 Pro that will be used on any consumer\prosumer\enthusiast PC, it's for server-level database workloads. Perhaps Intel just doesn't think it's good for them to market it for servers with the price tag this low, make it 5x as much and slap another sticker on it, and tada, it's server-level SSD.

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

If Intel thinks that people would buy 1.6k$ SSD for gaming\workstation it doesn't make it consumer SSD, it's for enthusiasts - sure, for prosumers with lotta money - sure, it's not consumer oriented with this price tag. I can't imagine the workload type that will benefit from Optane in comparison with much cheaper but still ridiculously overpriced Samsung 970 Pro.

You are missing the fact that prosumer is professional consumer. Professional consumer is still a consumer. I'm not arguing whether or not it is worth it or not, Denying it as a consumer option because it isn't cheap, doesn't make it any less a consumer product - It is not a server/enterprise product like their P4800x.Why shouldn't prosumers/workstation users be looking at this list? Is this list just made for the poor? No, it entails some of the most expensive SSDs out. 

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)