SSD TIER LIST

VEXICUS

I try to make it simple because consumers generally don't care about details such as the cost per GB or the type of NAND, just give them a SATA 3 SSD and wait, they will most likely end up very happy with the new speeds of their computers. To make it simpler, I suggest people to buy from well-known brands and to buy an SSD that offers 5 years of warranty because no manufacturer is going to risk offering so much time if they were not sure that the SSD will last longer than that, other SSDs that only offer 2-3 years of warranty usually have a higher failure rate than SSDs that offer 5 year warranty. Once you have found this, buy the best offer you can find at that time because prices will change throughout the year and the best time to buy an SSD is when you need an SSD regardless...

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

I use Kingston A400 480gb for one year now, and it works really well, i guess im lucky :D

4 hours ago, edvinasfresh said:

I use Kingston A400 480gb for one year now, and it works really well, i guess im lucky :D

That or you don't use it for professional purposes that require large workloads: video editing/rendering, Photoshop, surveillance video recording...

And use it more for regular use: read documents, watch movies online, play music ...

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

13 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

That or you don't use it for professional purposes that require large workloads: video editing/rendering, Photoshop, surveillance video recording...

And use it more for regular use: read documents, watch movies online, play music ...

True, didn't consider my use. Hopefully it will not die one day ?

I hope it doesn't either! Do a firmware update as it seems to help this device and just do not force it too much...

55 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

I hope it doesn't either! Do a firmware update as it seems to help this device and just do not force it too much...

Thanks! Just downloaded kingston ssd manager, looks like i don't need a firmware update, after 1 year usage ssd wear indicator is at 95%, no issues at all showed.

• 1 month later...

Why exactly is Sabrent in Tier B instead of A considering the Sabrent beats the 970 Pro in some tests and is on par on others?

What is it with LTT Tier lists being so garbage?

On 8/14/2019 at 2:58 PM, edvinasfresh said:

Thanks! Just downloaded kingston ssd manager, looks like i don't need a firmware update, after 1 year usage ssd wear indicator is at 95%, no issues at all showed.

Alright! Then just enjoy it.

• 1 month later...
On 8/9/2019 at 4:17 PM, VEXICUS said:

-snip-

Where is the Western Digital Green NVMe?

Edited by Spotty
snip long quote

5 hours ago, Tenma White said:

Where is the Western Digital Green NVMe?

There is no WD Green NVMe SSD. The WD Green is a SATA SSD. It comes in 2.5" and M.2 form factors.

According to this list it's in Tier E.

Tier E (Avoid These)

• Kingston - A400, SSDNow V300
  • Sandisk - SSD Plus
  • Team Group - L5 Lite, Dark L3, L7 EVO
  • Western Digital - Green

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

On 8/9/2019 at 9:17 AM, VEXICUS said:
  •  

where is the Team Elite GX2 ?

Edited by LogicalDrm

On 11/16/2019 at 11:01 PM, Tenma White said:

where is the Team Elite GX2 ?

Don't take it too seriously, this list is a recommendation list that can be used as a reference not that it exactly has to be like that. There will be missing items of course and with new releases there may be even more, it's a start point thou!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2019 at 11:51 AM, realXClav said:

You literally stole this from Aegis.

I saw that too, but it changes a little thou! Still a start point for someone looking for some reference/info. 

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Tenma White said:

where's the Team Elite GX2?

Tier C.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

1 hour ago, VEXICUS said:

Tier C.

The Silicon Power - Ace a55 512GB costs $70 in my place while the Team Elite GX2 512GB only costs $$50. 
Since both of them are at Tier C I assume I should just get the Team Elite GX2?

On 8/9/2019 at 8:17 AM, VEXICUS said:

Sabrent - Rocket

On 8/9/2019 at 8:17 AM, VEXICUS said:

Corsair - Force MP510

these two use the same controller: Phison E12. why is one places higher than the other? while TLC may differe slightly, they affer the same performance

18 hours ago, VEXICUS said:

Tier C.

The Silicon Power - Ace a55 512GB costs $70 in my place while the Team Elite GX2 512GB only costs $$50. 
Since both of them are at Tier C I assume I should just get the Team Elite GX2?

The list is kinda subjective.  I would just put something like "Most Phison E12 TLC drives" maybe in tier C but all the crappy QLC drives need to drop to the last tier.  They are garbage even the Samsung and 660p drives.  Not saying they will always be garbage but they are at this moment in time.  TLC made huge progress since it was introduced  I wouldn't have touched them when new but they aren't that much worse than MLC now.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

On 12/19/2019 at 1:24 PM, GoldenLag said:

these two use the same controller: Phison E12. why is one places higher than the other? while TLC may differe slightly, they affer the same performance

It's probably that OP have mixed up Rocket 4.0 and regular one (PCI-e 3.0). But this list overall needs to be redone with a meaningful and strict methodology, in current state it's really almost useless, no information as to why SSDs were tiered into one tier and not another, there are questions to why QLC drives are tiered into the same tiers as overall better TLC SSDs, and it misses a lot of good & competitively priced (and not so good and not so competitive like ADATA SU630\635) SSDs also.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

35 minutes ago, Juular said:

It's probably that OP have mixed up Rocket 4.0 and regular one (PCI-e 3.0).

Thats what i suspected, but that is a misstake that should have been corrected by now. 

I dont pay attention to this list as ive got an ok overview of what drives do what myself. But indeed it could need some work. 

At least its better than listebing to linus doing SSD recommendations. 

41 minutes ago, Juular said:

It's probably that OP have mixed up Rocket 4.0 and regular one (PCI-e 3.0). But this list overall needs to be redone with a meaningful and strict methodology, in current state it's really almost useless, no information as to why SSDs were tiered into one tier and not another, there are questions to why QLC drives are tiered into the same tiers as overall better TLC SSDs, and it misses a lot of good & competitively priced (and not so good and not so competitive like ADATA SU630\635) SSDs also.

This list is kinda sorted on the basis of DWPD. 

It is the endurance rating of a drive.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

On 12/20/2019 at 1:41 PM, ewitte said:

crappy QLC drives need to drop to the last tier

On 12/20/2019 at 1:41 PM, ewitte said:

The list is kinda subjective

If you are gonna start with something like that. Please look into how decent these drives actually are. 

Together with SLC cache they are far supirior than many old TLC drives. Not for long write loads, but consumer usecases. 

They should probably he colorcoded to tell people these have reduced endurance, but they are far from crappy

15 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Together with SLC cache they are far supirior than many old TLC drives.

They're better than garbage bin tier TLCs and most (all?) old 2D MLC but aside of that they're not really performing better than TLC SSDs for the same price, ADATA SU630\635, Samsung 860QVO, Intel 660p, Crucial P1, all these drives are rather mundane if compared to smth similarly priced but they have a common significant flaw, sustained write speed are VERY low, like 30-100 MB\s low, and generally their SLC cache aren't very large too (at least for ADATA and Intel ones). Sure, you wouldn't notice that in most situations but they should've at least color coded with a note that they're not very good option if you need to write large amounts of data in one go.

16 minutes ago, VEXICUS said:

This list is kinda sorted on the basis of DWPD.

While it's arguably the most important metric for SATA drives, it's really useless for NVMe ones as all of them have enough endurance to not care about it at all (aside from QLC ones probably), if you need to choose single most important metric for NVMe drives then it's probably sustained write speed at some mark (say after 50Gb written when the drive are 80% full). Tweaktown, THG & some TPU reviews have graphs for sustained write speeds for example if you want data sources.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply