SSD TIER LIST

VEXICUS
8 minutes ago, SSD Sean said:

900 Series - 905P is part of it. LOL 

if you mean Optane 9 series. sure. but the 900 and 905 series are seperate series. 

the 900 series isnt a series. optane 9 is. 

9 minutes ago, SSD Sean said:

Please read. I put some important terms in bold for you to google maybe. Please, I am awaiting proof that the 905P is not marketed towards consumers (consumers can be another term used to describe client, if you didn't know). You have yet to present any evidence while I have presented plenty.

ive not seen it being marketed as a consumer drive. 

as a high end enthusiast drive sure. but its not created to satisfy a consumer market. 

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

if you mean Optane 9 series. sure. but the 900 and 905 series are seperate series. 

the 900 series isnt a series. optane 9 is. 

ive not seen it being marketed as a consumer drive. 

as a high end enthusiast drive sure. but its not created to satisfy a consumer market. 

Here, since you want to deny it, I found a decent link to turn your mind: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/tech-tips-and-tricks/best-ssd-for-gaming.html 

What is the first drive they mention on the list? Please, speak up. Are you capable of disproving me now? 

"Intel® Optane™ SSD 905P Series
If you’re serious about your gaming, this serious, high-performance SSD is for you. In fact, Tom’s Hardware calls it “the fastest SSD ever made”.1 2 And IGN calls it the “best performing SSD going.”3"

Enthusiasts are consumer market targets.... I review SSDs for a living dude.

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

2 minutes ago, SSD Sean said:

Enthusiasts are consumer market targets.... I work in marketing dude. 

At Intel by any chance ?

What's your point anyway ? This SSD stands out both by performance and price off all SSDs in this list, you'll make a separate tier just for it alone ? For what purpose ? People wouldn't buy it, it's pointless to include it here.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

At Intel by any chance ?

What's your point anyway ? This SSD stands out both by performance and price off all SSDs in this list, you'll make a separate tier just for it alone ? For what purpose ? People wouldn't buy it, it's pointless to include it here.

Who said there was a performance and price fall off on the list? It is a tier list of current market options. Ultra High-end included...

LOL, it's not even your list. So, what's the relevancy of you making up requirements on someone else's list now? 

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

6 minutes ago, SSD Sean said:

Here, since you want to deny it, I found a decent link to turn your mind: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/tech-tips-and-tricks/best-ssd-for-gaming.html 

oh, neat. 

still server oriented SSD. hence it not being added in this list that is still rather incomplete on many levels. 

7 minutes ago, SSD Sean said:

Enthusiasts are consumer market targets.... 

its a small part of the consumer market that is often considered its own sector by a lot of people. but yes. "consumer" indeed. 

8 minutes ago, SSD Sean said:

I review SSDs for a living dude.

then you would know how "x layer cell" is a prefix determined naming scheme.  then calling something dual layer cells is perfectly descriptive 

3 minutes ago, SSD Sean said:

So, what's the relevancy of you making up requirements on someone else's list now? 

not requirements, but reasons why it has not been added. 

the list is rather limited and mostly includes SSDs that are more wellknown. 

No, Intel's Optane 905P its not a server oriented SSD. It is an "Ultra High-end" consumer SSD. It is client desktop (gamers) and workstation oriented. It is even stated as such by Intel themselves. I'm just sitting here correcting false information is all. I don't think that is trolling at all. Making up terms and such not based on any fact is more so trolling in my mind...

"Available in three different form factors, with nine different height and weight configurations-something for every gamer"

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

1 minute ago, SSD Sean said:

No, Intel's Optane 905P its not a server oriented SSD. It is client desktop and workstation oriented. It is even stated as such by Intel themselves. 

If Intel will make 10k$ SSD and will market it towards consumer market that would make it consumer oriented SSD too ? No. Because it's not with that price tag, it's not any different with 1.6k$ one. This SSD stands out of all other SSDs because of different memory type, ridiculous price tag and quite big performance difference, it's one of a kind, adding it in this list would make sense only from the completion side of things, just to signify that there are, in fact, faster SSDs than these that are included here, but it's pointless to do that because people that will buy it wouldn't look at this price list and vice versa. But again, it's completely up to OP, please stop flooding the thread.

17 minutes ago, Juular said:

If Intel will make 10k$ SSD and will market it towards consumer market that would make it consumer oriented SSD too ? No. Because it's not with that price tag, it's not any different with 1.6k$ one. This SSD stands out of all other SSDs because of different memory type, ridiculous price tag and quite big performance difference, it's one of a kind, adding it in this list would make sense only from the completion side of things, just to signify that there are, in fact, faster SSDs than these that are included here, but it's pointless to do that because people that will buy it wouldn't look at this price list and vice versa. But again, it's completely up to OP, please stop flooding the thread. 

Actually, yes, it would make it a consumer SSD if they market it as one. Just because only some rich enthusiasts will pay for it doesn't mean it wouldn't be a consumer SSD any less. Not all consumers are at the same income levels. That would be silly of me to think so. Since the OP doesn't care about price, that shouldn't matter anyways. "This guide differentiates SSDs in different tiers based on their DWPD and sustained writes." Based on that fact alone, the Optane 905P should be at or near the top depending on the OP's preference. 

There are a few drives the OP could add to the post's Ultra High-end list too. Like the Seagate FireCuda 520, Team Group Cardea Zero Z440, & Galax - HOF (Gen4). 

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

26 minutes ago, SSD Sean said:

There are a few drives the OP could add to the post's Ultra High-end list too. Like the Seagate FireCuda 520, Team Group Cardea Zero Z440, & Galax - HOF (Gen4). 

Sure, and they're cheaper than Samsung 970 Pro which already costs almost 4 times less than Intel Optane per 1TB version.

12 hours ago, Juular said:

@VEXICUS good to see you're working on this tier list but i don't see the need for color coding controllers, it's pointless. Color coding QLC NAND based and PCIe 4.0 SSDs (assuming they can reach interface speeds) might be more useful. And you're still missing Team MP30\32\33\34, Mushkin Pilot-E, Lexar NM500\600, ADATA SX8100\S40G SSDs. Also, tier C WD Black has SN500 model name which would be more specific (and i don't really see why it's in tier C, it's really almost the same performance wise as SN750, just without the heatsink). Also, Mushkin Helix-L isn't that bad, it's on par with Intel 660p.

Edit: Also, there's ADATA SX6000 Pro brother SSD, XPG S5.

Yeah, I know that I am missing a few SSDs, will be added soon.

We black series has 2 nvme ssds. The regular one and the sn750 IIRC. sn750 has slightly better sustained speeds when compared to the regular model.

I am planning to put and types in brackets besides the SSD names.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

On 11/30/2019 at 11:21 PM, realXClav said:

You literally stole this from Aegis.

Well i dont think so. Can you plz justify why you feel that this list has been copied?

Also this list has literally less than half the number of SSDs that i hv included.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

On 12/27/2019 at 10:41 PM, Juular said:

On 12/27/2019 at 10:12 PM, SSD Sean said:

On 12/27/2019 at 9:50 PM, GoldenLag said:

Trying to update the list based on the recommendations that i received from you guys. Its halfway done now.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Uuuh, honestly, it's too complicated, why do you need to indicate a controller used ? And DRAM cache are irrelevant too as it only affects performance and durability (slightly in both ways if they support HMB) which is the scope of this tier list in the first place, but if you really want i'd rather mark DRAM-less SSDs with asterisk, not the other way around. It's pointless for the end user of this tier list. Other than that it looks good, lots of missing models added and it's somewhat consistent too.

Uuuh, honestly, it's too complicated, why do you need to indicate a controller used ? It's pointless for the end user of this tier list. And DRAM cache are irrelevant too as it only affects performance and durability which is the scope of this tier list in the first place, but if you really want i'd rather mark DRAM-less SSDs with asterisk, not the other way around. Other than that it looks good, lots of missing models added and it's somewhat consistent too.

Planning to add few more SSDs soon.

Added in controllers for reference. DRAM cache does affect performance.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

10 minutes ago, VEXICUS said:

DRAM cache does affect performance.

I mean it does but it's pointless in this tier list as it already tiered on basis of performance and durability, if DRAM-less SSD performs on the level of SSDs that have DRAM cache in the same tier list so why even bother about that ?

I mean, all this color coding, asterisks and controllers all over the place just clutter the tier list. I'd make TLC SSDs white color so they wouldn't stand off, mark DRAM-less SSDs with asterisk if you really want it and omit controllers completely, there's no point in that information.

I agree on the asterisk being for DRAMless SSDs instead of for DRAM based SSDs. Makes more sense in my mind.

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

13 hours ago, SSD Sean said:

I agree on the asterisk being for DRAMless SSDs instead of for DRAM based SSDs. Makes more sense in my mind.

Updated. Also, added in the controller used info besides each ssd.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

On 12/27/2019 at 9:42 AM, Juular said:

Which doesn't make it consumer level with 1.6k$ price tag. I get it, there are people that make Threadripper builds for gaming too but it doesn't make TR a gaming CPU just because it's good at it and you can do it if you're made of money.

TR was pretty prosumer / enthusiast friendly until the 3rd gen...  Its still marked that way you need a lot more cash though.  EPYC is the server line.

I had a 480GB Optane and loved it but being short on money couldn't justify keeping it I was able to get something much bigger for a fraction of the cost.  Considering I now total 8ish TB of SSD storage Optane would have never been sustainable at its price.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

What makes some of these better then others?

Teir list means nothing without supporting data to back it up (speeds, quality etc?)...

·Ï¢årµ§·

i7 4790k · 32GB Kingston HyperX · MSI Gaming 5 · ... · 30" HP ZR30W + 27" Samsung 275T · 2x240GB Intel 530 in Raid 0 + 2x1TB Crucial MX500 · Lain-Li X2000F · Antec Signature SG-850 · BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3 Pro · Logitech Z5500 · Win10pro 64bit

20 minutes ago, IcarusLSC said:

What makes some of these better then others?

Teir list means nothing without supporting data to back it up (speeds, quality etc?)...

Google is your friend. No idea what do you mean by 'quality' but all these SSDs have reviews on them and there a good amount of SSDs that are identical hardware wise so their performance would be rather similar even if you can't find reviews for some exact model.

Google is your friend. No idea what do you mean by 'quality' but all these SSDs have reviews on them and there a good amount of SSDs that are identical hardware wise so their performance would be rather similar even if you can't find reviews for some exact model.

So this list is what the OP 'thinks' is the order they are tiered? I don't see any data on what makes it tier like this other then:

This guide differentiates SSDs in different tiers based on their DWPD, sustained writes, controllers, NAND types and value for money.

...which is useless in itself as all these are tested on different systems, platforms, vastly varying hardware over the years etc etc.

·Ï¢årµ§·

i7 4790k · 32GB Kingston HyperX · MSI Gaming 5 · ... · 30" HP ZR30W + 27" Samsung 275T · 2x240GB Intel 530 in Raid 0 + 2x1TB Crucial MX500 · Lain-Li X2000F · Antec Signature SG-850 · BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3 Pro · Logitech Z5500 · Win10pro 64bit

Just now, IcarusLSC said:

So this list is what the OP 'thinks' is the order they are tiered? I don't see any data on what makes it tier like this other then:

Yes, it is. Tier lists are subjective because there are humans behind them, what a surprise.

What data do you need and how you think it should look ? Like, there's a lot of SSDs, it's already unnecessarily cluttered by controller information IMO, you want it to become a spreadsheet ? There are already : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B27_j9NDPU3cNlj2HKcrfpJKHkOf-Oi1DbuuQva2gT4/edit#gid=0

This is just a tier list, if you need actual data then you need to do some home work yourself, it's not meant to be a knowledge base, just a way to help people to choose SSD themselves if they don't have enough expertise.

1 minute ago, IcarusLSC said:

which is useless in itself as all these are tested on different systems, platforms, vastly varying hardware over the years etc etc.

It's not a rocket surgery, with 90% the same SSD will perform the same on different PCs within 10% margin assuming it's not throttled down by smth (CPU, PCH, thermals, OS). Of course there will be some discrepancies but you can't address that with any review data when you compare different sources, not only with SSDs.

Yup, I was just making sure others knew it was a subjective list as you say yourself.

Good points on the rest, I was looking to far into it then I needed to.

·Ï¢årµ§·

• 2 weeks later...

There are no reviews on Sabrent Rocket QLC yet, how did you tier it ? I wouldn't expect it to be any better than Intel\Micron just because of different controller.

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

There are no reviews on Sabrent Rocket QLC yet, how did you tier it ? I wouldn't expect it to be any better than Intel\Micron just because of different controller.

Based off its controller, warrenty, nand type. Will update it when the reviews come out.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X