Using M.2 as a boot drive in a B450 AM4

I just built a computer for my Dad using a Ryzen 3 2200G with an ASUS TUF B450 Gaming Plus motherboard and a WD Blue M.2 500GB SATA SSD. I was told by someone that I needed to change the bios to 4x multiplier in order to use the M.2 drive as a boot drive. Since it's the only drive in the build that's definitely what I need. Do I really need to do that before installing Windows and if so, how do I go about doing that. Thanks.

The WD blue is just a SATA SSD in m.2 form factor. You shouldn't have to change a thing for it to work like normal.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

The WD blue is just a SATA SSD in m.2 form factor. You shouldn't have to change a thing for it to work like normal.

Thanks for the response, that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.

change what to what?

does that even exist?

all you have to do is turn off pc, install the m.2 and install windows on it

multiplier what? seriously

like @fasauceome said, shouldn't need to do anything.

I bought my current pc as a whole (in parts) and only use M.2 drives. i didn't need to edit a thing, windows recognized both drives from the get go.

(additional information: i have used both the ssd as the NVME drive as a boot drive since one was delivered faster than the other and i couldn't wait. Had no issues installing on either of them)

Gamesystem: X3700, 32GB memory @3200mhz, GTX1080 Hybrid

Unraid system: Epyc 7352, 24/48, 96GB ECC buffered @2666mhz, 2x GT710, GTX1050Ti