Severe 0 day security flaw found in Steam

gueboom

Does GoG galaxy avoid this issue?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 8/9/2019 at 5:45 AM, ravenshrike said:

It was 25 days since the 2nd researcher at HackerOne he contacted submitted a report to Valve. Which is basically 19 business days. He's an irresponsible conspiracy theorist getting pissy about being snubbed by HackerOne and reacting like a 3 year old throwing a tantrum.

Wait so your saying it's ok for stema to go "Nope this isn;t an issue and don't tell anyone about it".

Sorry but no it is not OK for steam to do that. If they refuse to fix it themselves then making it public so they have to is your only recourse at that point. Professional bug hunters have done exactly the same thing.

You cna argue he should have waited longer but steam is the only one in the wrong here as far as i'm concerned.

22 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

Wait so your saying it's ok for stema to go "Nope this isn;t an issue and don't tell anyone about it".

Steam never said anything of the sort. HackerOne did. Steam fixed it within 30 days of being notified by the 2nd researcher from HackerOne that DID forward the issue to them. That there are complete morons at HackerOne, while important to know in the long run and for any of their clients' continued relationship with them, is no excuse for what the whiny conspiracy theorist at the center of this did.

On 8/9/2019 at 12:21 AM, Delicieuxz said:

HackerOne officially handles Valve's Bug Bounty Program: https://hackerone.com/valve

It was 3 weeks after the discovery had been submitted by HackerOne to Valve that HackerOne, for the second time, told the person who discovered it, Vasily Kravets, that the exploit is non-applicable and also told them to not tell anyone else about it. So, HackerOne telling the person who discovered it that the exploit is not relevant and to drop it without telling anybody about it sort of seems like it's Valve saying they aren't doing anything with it and that they want it to remain undetected.

Vasily Kravets questions whether the exploit is a deliberate backdoor:

Ah. Read between the lines. "This exists, but it is not useable, and you *cannot talk to anyone about it*."

There are other reasons gag orders are applied. And it's has 3 letters in it usually, begins with F, and ends with I (Or in the UK, M and 5).

[Edit]

Or it's HackerOne being silly, when they could have said "thanks, can you give us 1/2/3 months on this, we will make a nice blog post about you, and you can get famous for discovering it/etc, once we fix it!"

Like, don't shoot the messenger, you only annoy people.

Steam did fix this issue if you have beta update.

Magical Pineapples

16 hours ago, TechyBen said:

Or it's HackerOne being silly, when they could have said "thanks, can you give us 1/2/3 months on this, we will make a nice blog post about you, and you can get famous for discovering it/etc, once we fix it!"

It's pretty clear that H1's hiring is poor given only one of three techs recognized the issue and notified the proper people about it. That still means that his concerns got through. However, rather than wait to see if Valve did anything within the normal period(90 days minimum) he threw a hissy fit like an immature, spoiled child and released the bug to everyone while screaming about how no one was paying attention to him.

8 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

rather than wait to see if Valve did anything

Valve's response: "Steam dismissed his findings as non applicable. "

He did the right thing and gave them a slap in the face...

Steam Beta got update with "Fixed privilege escalation exploit using symbolic links in Windows registry"

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

12 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Valve's response: "Steam dismissed his findings as non applicable. "

He did the right thing and gave them a slap in the face...

Hmm, which article do I believe more, one by arstechnica, or by a guy who states the following

You didn’t respect my work, and that's the reason why I won’t respect yours

1 minute ago, ravenshrike said:

Hmm, which article do I believe more, one by arstechnica, or by a guy who states the following

Despite this disrespect he still gave them almost two months to rectify the issue so arstechnica just trying to wash them out lol...

21 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

There isn't an issue of which article to believe, because there isn't a contention between the articles and the Ars article author supports Vasily Kravets' decision:

The vulnerability demonstrated here is only 45 days old [Delicieuxz' note: it was actually 54 days old]. Normally, publicly disclosing an exploit this quickly would be a big no-no in the Infosec community—the typical grace period for response is 90 days. In this case, it's difficult to point any blame to the researcher. Upon first reporting the bug via HackerOne, it was rejected as out-of-scope, with «Attacks that require the ability to drop files in arbitrary locations on the user's filesystem» as the reason given.

The attack does not require any file to be dropped anywhere or any special privileges. Although we downloaded regln-x64 to make the proof of concept prettier, I could have accomplished its task—symlinking registry keys—directly inside regedit.exe.

When the researcher argued with HackerOne's staff, a second HackerOne employee eventually reproduced the exploit, confirmed the report, and sent it off to Valve. But a few weeks later, a third HackerOne employee rejected it again. The employee reiterated «Attacks that require the ability to drop files in arbitrary locations on the user's filesystem» and added «Attacks that require physical access to the user’s device» as reasons the vulnerability is supposedly out-of-scope.

The second reason for rejection is no more valid than the first: a malicious "game" developer could easily create a free-to-play "game" that reproduces all the steps of this exploit. Such a bad actor could pop a shell with LOCALSYSTEM privileges and own the user's machine.

With this second rejection, Vasily decided there was no further recourse but public disclosure, and he informed HackerOne that he would disclose after July 30. He alleges that on August 2, yet another HackerOne employee forbid the disclosure of the vulnerability, despite HackerOne having closed it repeatedly as out-of-scope while Valve itself never weighed in one way or the other.

The claims made by HackerOne for rejecting exploit report were false, and so Vasily Kravets could assume nothing other than that the exploit was by design. And for all we know, Valve wouldn't have patched it if Vasily hadn't gone public with it.

This year, Google has publicly reported multiple zero-day exploits in Microsoft software after only a week of not getting a response from Microsoft.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

32 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

This year, Google has publicly reported multiple zero-day exploits in Microsoft software after only a week of not getting a response from Microsoft.

The difference is that Google's 7 day timeline applies to 0 days that are under active exploitation. Per the researcher himself, he found it on his own, not because someone else was already using it.

I hate programming. Mainly because I've got little ability to recognize and store all the information required for the different commands and directories and what not.

And even I can tell, this is serious problem.

Somebody please tell me Steam is patching this.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 minute ago, ravenshrike said:

Already patched in the Beta update.

Good to know.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs