Ryzen 7 3800x Temp/voltage issues

Specs:

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC (x64) Build 17763.615 (1809/RS5)

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x

MOBO: Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming

RAM: Corsair Vengence 32GB, 3200Mhz

GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 Gaming OC

BIOS: 5204

Cooler: NZXT Kraken x52

I am at my wits end with this... I've done everything I could think of, I've even replaced another cooler with the Kraken x52, which is what i'm using now. I am getting ridiculous temps idle, and high load. I also see my core voltage always spiking to 1.45 (doesn't go down) (is this normal??) When running Prime95 or Cinebench, I am immediately spiking to 95c, and my core voltage is dropping to 1.2-1.1v, and i'm seeing my peak speed drop as well.. (see the second pic)

Things I've attempted:

1. Updating the bios, and the chipset to the latest version available (as per this post: https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2019/07/30/community-update-5-let-s-talk-clocks-voltages-and-destiny-2 )

2. Set my power plan to Ryzen Balanced

3. Reset the bios by pulling the battery.

I'm also getting this strange thing, if I set my RAM timings by using the XMP profile, my computer doesn't want to boot. I have to set it to below 3200Mhz, and then restart, and go back into bios and set it up to 3200Mhz for it to boot at the right frequency.

(click the images below, they're not showing up on here for some reason)

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_10.png

pastedImage_1.png

(I think the minimum processor state should be 10%?)

I just took a screen shot of what I have at the time.

Any suggestions on what to do would be appreciated..

I have the same motherboard and it is indeed providing a bit more voltage than we'd like. New BIOS version hopefully arrives this month with a fix for that.

Currently the BIOS in this motherboard is limiting memory clocking too. I was able to clock my RAM to 3200MHz and above that the FCLK stopped following, I wasn't able to clock FCLK up even manually without getting a no-post situation. So that's a limit atm. Waiting for the new BIOS for that too.

However, that is kinda what to expect right now. What are you using to monitor temps? I guess you already know that some programs can stop the CPU from going idle.

Chipset driver update helped me to get more regular idling at 0.7-0.9V with Ryzen Balanced power plan.

The clocks and voltages on Zen2 change extremely fast and no monitoring software at this time will show you a graph that fast. When you move a mouse or open a program, or just run anything single-threaded, you will observe high voltages. But that voltage of 1.4-1.5V is only applied to a single core and that single core will be showing power usages up to 40W (on 3700X at least), and because that kind of power is going to a single tiny core in the corner of the CPU, we see these hefty spikes in temperatures. Changing a cooler won't help dissipate this kinds of bursts of heat output.

When running multi-threaded, the cores will not be getting all that available power, instead the power budget is spread accross all the cores and we'll see a bit less volts and lower clocks. But temps will be higher just because there are more cores in that tiny corner using the power available, which in total is more than a single core can use.

That being said, 95C is a lot more than what's expected. I get around 84C max in synthetic stuff, a lot less in games. Is your cooler making proper contact and does it fit over the corner where the CPU cores are?

3700X | NH-D15 | X470-F | 2x16GB @3200MHz | RTX 2060 Ventus OC

RM650x | Fractal Design R4 | NVMe 970 EVO Plus 512GB | SATA 850 EVO 512GB

<Build Log>

What monitoring software are you using, if it's not Ryzen Master then i'd suggest to just use that for now since all monitoring softwares exept Ryzen Master can't tell you what idle voltage and clock speed are until they wake the CPU, and Zen 2 architecture on 7nm is so fast that everytime the monitoring software poke the CPU to see the voltage and speed it just wake the CPU like it was workload OR the monitoring software show you stats BEFORE the cpu went into idle.

Main System: Ryzen 2700, Asus Crosshair VII Hero, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC, 970 EVO Plus NVMe, Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL14, CM H500, CM ML240L cpu cooler.

Second System: Ryzen 2400G, Gigabyte B450 DS3H, RX 580 Nitro+, Kingston A400 SSD, Team T-Force 3200mhz CL15

If it ain't overclocked it ain't good...

AM4 boards VRM rating list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Buildzoid's AM4 motherboard roundup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti38JS8RuPU

I would tell you the complete opposite lol. Don't use ryzen master because it won't tell you the correct voltage. Just running ryzen master will ramp the voltage up. CPUZ will give you a more accurate idle voltage reading.

To each their own I guess.

Sorry for the dumb question, but you applying thermal paste? and is the paste still good? I've seen things like this when people use bad thermal paste

Another thing, make sure you have the latest bios from Asus. I know in my case, the stock voltages on my MSI B450 pro carbon ac's were too high with the older bioses. It has taken almost a month for MSI to finally release a stable bios for my motherboard, but I can finally go to sleep stress free now since the version 18 bios

Ryzen 3700x w/ Arctic Cooling 34 eSports DUO || MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC || GSkill DDR4 3200 CL14 @ 3600 16-16-16 || EVGA 2070 XC Gaming || WD Black 1T NVME, WD Black 2T 7200 rpm || EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+

iCUE is causing my voltage to stay at 1.45v...turning it off fixed the problem, however, when running prime, or bench is pushing my temps up to 95c limits, I heard thats normal.. I also heard that I need to upgrade to 1903, but because LTSC doesnt have a 1903, i'm gonna be forced to format winblows !:(

15 minutes ago, Tom H said:

Sorry for the dumb question, but you applying thermal paste? and is the paste still good? I've seen things like this when people use bad thermal paste

Another thing, make sure you have the latest bios from Asus. I know in my case, the stock voltages on my MSI B450 pro carbon ac's were too high with the older bioses. It has taken almost a month for MSI to finally release a stable bios for my motherboard, but I can finally go to sleep stress free now since the version 18 bios

Brand new cooler, with preapplied thermal paste.