Case fans, 120mm v 1400mm (Solved)

shshiner
Go to solution Solved by Metallus97,
2 minutes ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

3 120mm better airflow 2 140mm more silent

3 120 on a little lower RPM should still have better airflow and less noise tho :)

Ok guys my case (Fractal Design Define C) can have either 3 x120mm or 2 x 140mm fans in the front, just now I have a couple of 140mm corsair fans in there but I want to change to either noctua or bequiet, was just wondering would 3 120mms or 2 x 140mms be better?

3 x 120mm will have better airflow.

8700K @ 5.2ghz 1.29V, 4x8 Rev.E @ 4040 13-20-20-39 1.7V.

30 minutes ago, shshiner said:

Ok guys my case (Fractal Design Define C) can have either 3 x120mm or 2 x 140mm fans in the front, just now I have a couple of 140mm corsair fans in there but I want to change to either noctua or bequiet, was just wondering would 3 120mms or 2 x 140mms be better?

2 minutes ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

3 120 on a little lower RPM should still have better airflow and less noise tho :)

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

36 minutes ago, shshiner said:

noctua or bequiet, was just wondering would 3 120mms or 2 x 140mms be better?

Get Noctua. They move much more air! Either be ok with brown or get the chromax ones. They are exactly the same as the normal brown ones but are black and come with those colored rubber edges. Redux are the same to but without the rubber edges and they are .... grey

So my suggestion: https://noctua.at/de/products/product-lines/line-chromax

Thanks guys I actually thought 2 140s would have been better, shows how much I've learned lol. 

How about exhaust? I have space for 2 140s in the top plus a 120 in the back or 3 120s top and back? I don't have water cooling, I like old school air cooling.

Btw, I actually don't mind the brown, it's kinda retro and as soon as you see those colours you know it's a damn good fan lol

4 minutes ago, shshiner said:

Thanks guys I actually thought 2 140s would have been better, shows how much I've learned lol. 

How about exhaust? I have space for 2 140s in the top plus a 120 in the back or 3 120s top and back? I don't have water cooling, I like old school air cooling.

Btw, I actually don't mind the brown, it's kinda retro and as soon as you see those colours you know it's a damn good fan lol

Depends on how much heat you will produce and how you design the airflow. But I guess 2 top and 1 backloads will be verry decent!

Aim your CPU cooler at the back exhaust, so the warm air is directly blown out 

I don't have to most powerful machine but depending on what's happening temps rarely go above 70-75 on my cpu cores (i7-2600k oc to 4.7ghz, I did have 4.8 but it kept hitting 1.4v and I didn't like that). My GPU (which is a new addition) I think is boosting temps a bit as well. Here's what Hardware Monitor says and this is just light gaming and blender running (not rendering) https://prnt.sc/oo5ska

The second shot is under load with cinebench https://prnt.sc/oo5uso

nice temps! So you will be more than fine with what I described. Since they are Noctua it will be super silent. Wich CPU cooler do you use?

Thank you :) I use an old nh-d14 with new pwm noctua redux fans, a 120 + 140, that was an upgrade from a cooler master 212 and I was super surprised at the cooling improvement 

Just now, shshiner said:

Thank you :) I use an old nh-d14 with new pwm noctua redux fans, a 120 + 140, that was an upgrade from a cooler master 212 and I was super surprised at the cooling improvement 

nice! So mount that thing in a way that the hot air is directly blow towards the back or the top exhaust fan!

And plz mark as solved

I have and I mark as solved, thank you for the advice 

1 minute ago, shshiner said:

I have and I mark as solved, thank you for the advice 

you do this whit the checkmark. Give the best answer the checkmark ;)

Your temps are fine. Why did you want new fans?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

More to cut down on noise, the fans I have just now are all mismatched and consist of a couple of old noctua cpu cooler fans, the wee fans that came with the case and a couple of new corsair ML 140mm fans that will be staying.