Build VMs for photo editing

aspnet

Hi All, I am new to the forum and to the  world of virtualization. I have an iMAC late 2015 that starts being quite slow in photoshop. But to buy a  good configuration now is getting to expensive so I built mine and then I discover  virtualisation :/. here  my config: i9 9900K, 32 GBB ram,  ASUS Z390 PRIMEM PLUS,  1TB M.2 and  1TB SSD, Sapphire  + Nitro RX580  8gb ddr5.  

I know I could do dual boot but there advantages in virtualisation I guess, like backups etc and I would like to learn it  also.

This is the configuration I would like:

2VM, 1 Win 10 and  the other MAC that will not be used at same time. MAC for photo editing and win for photo  editing and  casual games (Wow / heartstone)

What would be the best way to achieve  this  without impacting  performance?  I  still do not understand how to assign resources. For example should I  assign all the  core to the  VM and they will be shared with unraid when  necessary? I guess I can assign the same resources to win / mac as they won't run at same time?

And then  I have to passthrough hardware... do you think is complicated with my config?

Thanks for any answer :)

why run osx here? photoshop runs on windows and its normally faster on windows aswell.

Why unraid, id run anouther linux distro here.

If the host isnt' doing anything you can give it almost all the cores.

Id personally not use vms here, Id just use windows for everything, I don't see why you need osx here. 

Why not just try it? You have the hardware?

I  wanted  to try to learn  and yes I do not absolutely need MAC.  I just bought a couple of things for the mac app store and if I can keep them why  not.

I still  do not  have  the  hardware, arriving  next week... I still have a couple of days  to decide  :)

I'm currently running Mojave in VMware, personally never had an issue - there are places that will let you download a full built version of OSX for VMware. Very easy to do. I even gave my VM a separate SSD to ensure resources were more or less dedicated. 

Until they start forcing T2 Authentication, it's a great solution!