YouTube HTML5 player now supports ads

The YouTube HTML5 player now supports ads, at least the boxes that come up from the bottom. Previously, the only videos that would be played with the HTML5 player were videos that were not monetized, but it looks like either they have figured out some form of DRM or they have just given up and decided to show the ads despite them being even easier to adblock (which is, I understand, the main reason why they have not been available before).

To opt in, go to http://www.youtube.com/html5 and turn it on.

Dh78oGK.png

Note that as far as I know, Firefox (at least up to 28.0) and probably IE don't support dash playback, so only support 360p and 720p, which is a bit of a problem. Chrome supports all resolutions. To check whether your browser does, on the html5 opt in page, if Media Source Extensions is marked as supported, your browser should support all resolutions on YouTube.

Source: No idea...

HTTP/2 203

I've noticed, and i use extendtube's adblock option + adblock  :( 

What I don't like about HTML videos is that I need to have my browser maximized for it to work properly when I want to watch the video in fullscreen

I've noticed, and i use extendtube's adblock option + adblock  :(

1) Please don't use adblock - it hurts youtubers like linus because that's (normally) where they get their money from

2) They will add the new ads to the filter list in no time (unfortunately)

What I don't like about HTML videos is that I need to have my browser maximized for it to work properly when I want to watch the video in fullscreen

What browser are you using? Works fine for me in firefox (alpha/aurora 28.0a2)

HTTP/2 203

I think it has gotten to the point where Google should just accept that people use AdBlock and AdBlock Plus (and any other variant). Yes it harms their income but it would be nice if they could find an mutual understanding or some kind of international agreement for internet ads rules. So nothing in your face or didgy in other words. If there where no ads that made me cringe or when I went onto a page where there are 10 different download links then I wouldn't use Adblock but I do for that very reason.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I think it has gotten to the point where Google should just accept that people use AdBlock and AdBlock Plus (and any other variant). Yes it harms their income but it would be nice if they could find an mutual understanding or some kind of international agreement for internet ads rules. So nothing in your face or didgy in other words. If there where no ads that made me cringe or when I went onto a page where there are 10 different download links then I wouldn't use Adblock but I do for that very reason.

But you don't get ads like that on youtube, so to support the channels you watch and like, I think you should add an exception. I don't want this to turn into a full adblock vs no-adblock argument, but that's my position. To help linus feed his son.

HTTP/2 203

*Cough*

*Adblock picture*

I hate Adblock, it takes away peoples money.

Where do bad folks go when they die?
They don't go to heaven where the angels fly
They go to the lake of fire and fry, Won't see them again 'till the fourth of July

But you don't get ads like that on youtube, so to support the channels you watch and like, I think you should add an exception. I don't want this to turn into a full adblock vs no-adblock argument, but that's my position. To help linus feed his son.

They force ads down your throat. If you want to watch a video you must watch an ad. How about YouTubers themselves put ads into their videos like Linus does with his that way if you have the option you can skip them. Plus the ads Linus puts in his videos are interesting, funny and are generally good.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I use adblock, It's an important part of my web surfing experience. But I disable it constatly, almonst unconsciously now! Loving LinusTechTips!

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

wow it's that discussion about ads again.... I will repeat this until everyone in this universe flippin' gets this: ads are part of the internet ecosystem. Internet can't work without ads. But if you try to force it down people's throat, you shouldn't be complaining about people using adblock/ADP.

ads that look like xp or windows 7 windows should be illegal. They are misleading and i'm sure a lot of gullible people click on them, just to end up with spyware on their computer. Same thing should be done with ads that claim you are the "99999999th visitor that was selected and you won a new iphone!". After all companies can't lie about ads on tv, I don't see why they should be allowed to do this stuff on the internet.

Which leads me to my point that while I do use adblock, I basically choose to disable it on any website that I genuinely want to support and fullfills the condition of not having extremely irritating ads that pop up in your face or when you put your mouse over a highlighted word. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

ads that look like xp or windows 7 windows should be illegal. They are misleading and i'm sure a lot of gullible people click on them, just to end up with spyware on their computer. Same thing should be done with ads that claim you are the "99999999th visitor that was selected and you won a new iphone!". After all companies can't lie about ads on tv, I don't see why they should be allowed to do this stuff on the internet.

Which leads me to my point that while I do use adblock, I basically choose to disable it on any website that I genuinely want to support and fullfills the condition of not having extremely irritating ads that pop up in your face or when you put your mouse over a highlighted word. 

Yea but the problem is that it's difficult to police the internet as it's infinitely big. TV not so much. Google and any other ad company would have to go through a process of verifying every add and every website should have to do the same. It isn't that difficult.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

Yea but the problem is that it's difficult to police the internet as it's infinitely big. TV not so much. Google and any other ad company would have to go through a process of verifying every add and every website should have to do the same. It isn't that difficult.

Actually google does seem to be pretty good about their ad policies. I haven't seen any horrific "your pc has a virus" type BS ads by google ads... The problem is other shadier companies delivering these ads. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Actually google does seem to be pretty good about their ad policies. I haven't seen any horrific "your pc has a virus" type BS ads by google ads... The problem is other shadier companies delivering these ads. 

Yea but you know what I mean. For example you want to download a piece of software and when you get to the download page there are 10 different links to click to download something. WHich one do you click. Well I don't click any and just find a different mirror but most people would just click any of them and see what happens. That is how you get a virus. The same thing can be said about when you go and install a program but in that program there are 5 others that are linked to it. Yes there are tick boxes to not install the other programs but sometimes those tick boxes are really small and actually really hard to see. Those also need to be made illegal altogether. If I wanted that other program I would have got it separately. I'm looking at you Kaspersky and McAfee. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

Yea but you know what I mean. For example you want to download a piece of software and when you get to the download page there are 10 different links to click to download something. WHich one do you click. Well I don't click any and just find a different mirror but most people would just click any of them and see what happens. That is how you get a virus. The same thing can be said about when you go and install a program but in that program there are 5 others that are linked to it. Yes there are tick boxes to not install the other programs but sometimes those tick boxes are really small and actually really hard to see. Those also need to be made illegal altogether. If I wanted that other program I would have got it separately. I'm looking at you Kaspersky and McAfee. 

Lol just click the least flashy, small and generic fonted download link!

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

Lol just click the least flashy, small and generic fonted download link!

Thats what they want you to think.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

Linus knows that the vast majority of his audience is the type to use adblock. Hence he supplements them with his in-video stuff

Linus knows that the vast majority of his audience is the type to use adblock. Hence he supplements them with his in-video stuff

And this is why I decide not to unblock adblock.. I mean.. the in-stream ads aren't going to magically disappear if I unblock it so why should I? Sure, self entitlement you'll say but I'm a busy guy and have no time to watch some stupid advert for some terrible music (which is what happens).

I tried disabling adblock and was subjected to Miley Cyrus and some random rap star I assume. I will use adblock all day.. until the day Linus is making the ads that go onto his own videos on top of the in-stream ones.

I actually don't even mind the in-stream ones.. once anyway. They get a bit cheesy after a few goes.. since it's kinda like a copy paste segment because you can tell the change in the style of presentation to trying to sell you something as fast as possible.

If it pays the bills though, I'm down.. I'm just not dropping my adblock defenses to terrible YouTube adverts.