Mantle Unleashed

worldwin

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/65244-catalyst-14-1-amd-unleashes-mantle.html
http://www.maximumpc.com/amds_catalyst_141_drivers_are_incoming_mantle_update_and_more
To paraphrase AMD’s documents, Mantle uses several techniques to achieve more efficient CPU performance. They include:

- Low-overhead validation and processing of API commands
- Explicit command buffer control
- Close to linear performance scaling from recording command buffers onto multiple CPU cores
- Reduced runtime shader compilation overhead

Speaking of additional areas of improvements, Mantle hasn’t been crippled from a purely graphics standpoint. Quite the opposite actually. AMD has built a number of rendering optimizations into their toolkit which developers will be able to take advantage of as time goes on. 

- Reduction of command buffers submissions
- Explicit control of resource compression, expands and synchronizations
- Asynchronous DMA queue for data uploads independent from the graphics engine
- Asynchronous compute queue for overlapping of compute and graphics workloads
- Data formats optimizations via flexible buffer/image access
- Advanced Anti-Aliasing features for MSAA/EQAA optimizations

This situation is about to change in a big way: Dice is rolling out their long awaited BF4 Mantle patch at 4AM today. At least that’s the plan right now but with the hiccups Origin is known for….you never know. 

More in the link above.Also new demo coming out on steam for game starswarm. Refer to second link.

i7 4770K @ 4.5GHZ, NH-D14, Kingston HyperX Black 8GB, Asus Z87-A, Fractal Design XL R2, MSI TF IV R9 280x, BTFNX 550G

I can't wait to see what my 7770 will now after the BF4 patch, maybe I can wait until Maxwell. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I want to see it with my own eyes!

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Me too...

Sooooooon....

Im guessing you have some sort of release date? Mind sharing some info... I've got some Dogecoins if you wanna trade ;)

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

This situation is about to change in a big way: Dice is rolling out their long awaited BF4 Mantle patch at 4AM today.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Pretty excited to see how much improvement my 7950 will get with Mantle.

I'm excited too, but I think the improvements are more dependent on your CPU. Plus, you'll have to wait longer:

One of the largest limitations right now is GPU support on AMD’s side. The 14.1 drivers won’t support Mantle on older GCN cards like the HD 7000 / HD 8000 series, the R9 280X and R9 270X.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

I'm excited too, but I think the improvements are more dependent on your CPU. Plus, you'll have to wait longer:

-quote removed-

Maybe this is why they took so long.

Wow...I was really excited for Mantle until this article.

From the article.

"Isn’t Mantle supposed to augment GPU performance in upcoming games? According to AMD’s newly released documents, the answer to that is "yes"......but not in the way you’re expecting. By streamlining the way a game interacts with hardware Mantle allows CPU resources to be used more effectively which means, contrary to popular belief, the tertiary benefits don't directly target the primary graphics engine. Indeed, Mantle still uses the DirectX High Level Shading Language (or HLSL) so it’s still tied at the hip to those inherent API-level limitations."

Few problems with this. 1) AMD is the one who made us expect that, we never heard that is was tied to Direct X. we were told it COULD USE the HLSL, not it WILL use the HLSL (see aandtech article in September). We were told that this would eventually run on Linux and Mac OS and was replacing Direct X and would be superior. 2) Thanks for letting AMD buyers (and I am not one) know that this is basically Direct X, with some help to help crappy CPU's (and it seems to benefit primarily Kaveri), right before it comes out.

"On one hand, Mantle can provide some excellent framerate increases when an entry level CPU is used alongside a higher end graphics card. However, once the graphics card becomes a bottleneck, Mantle’s benefits become nearly non-existent."

Awesome...

"The 14.1 drivers won’t support Mantle on older GCN cards like the HD 7000 / HD 8000 series, the R9 280X and R9 270X".

Da hell? So basically the only cards that will work at first have True Audio on them?  Is the increase so bad that they had to only add true audio cards to make it look better? I mean this might be nice for dell's with a crappy cpu and a r7 260, but gamers were expecting more from this. Not a Direct X patch for bad CPU's.

The only way this thing is taking off is if they get this put in crappy prebuilt systems in tandem with a kaveri that will probably = less then a PS4 in graphics with that pitiful r7 260 and it might = a Xbox One. No one is putting r9 290x with a freakin kaveri. I don't ever remember Mantle being touted as only a budget computer API. I don't see AAA games redoing their game engine for this, and seeing Witcher 3 isn't mantle? Now I think I know why. 

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/radeon_r7_260_review_benchmarks,11.html

Why the hell would anyone put that card in a gaming system. The thing will absolutely suck in non Mantle titles. Now I know why Steam machines put Nvidia's in their system. They must have known this thing wasn't anything special.

Steam OS and hopefully native OpenGL ports coming on games? You are our only hope to escape the DirectX monopoly.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

In before there is next to no performance difference if you use a well balanced PC...

In before people desperately tries to find excuses as to why it didn't live up to the hype.

In before people say it did live up to the hype when it really did not.

My BF4 is updating as we speak, is it Mantle!? It's a 1.23Gb update size.

Antec 1100 | Asus P8Z87-V | Silverstone Strider 850W 80+ Silver | Intel i5 3570k 4.3Ghz | Corsair h80 | Asus Xonar DGX | Sapphire HD 7850 1000 Mhz | 16 GB Patriot 1600MHz | Intel 330 180GB | OCZ Agility 3 60GB (Cache for HDD) | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Asus VE247H x2 | Ducky Shine 2 - Cherry MX Brown | Razer Deathadder 3.5G | Logitech G430

My BF4 is updating as we speak, is it Mantle!? It's a 1.23Gb update size.

It's mantle, cept you gotta wait for drivers xD

When are the new drivers gonna be available(Catalyst 14.1 Beta Drivers)?   This is a dick tease. Already updated my BF4 through origin.

AMD 1700X// Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 // Geil DDR4 3200 // Gigabyte Aorus 1080//  Samsung 128GB 840 Pro SSD(OS)// Seagate Barracuda 1TB(games&docs)//

Cool Master Stacker 935//  LG Ultrawide 34UM95//  XSPC 360 Liquid Cooling//

Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard//  Corsair M65RGB//  Xonar DX//  Audio Technica ATH A900X// Blue Snowball Mic(Tandy POP filter)  

When are the new drivers gonna be available(Catalyst 14.1 Beta Drivers)?   This is a dick tease. Already updated my BF4 through origin.

I know right it's not like it's 5/6am........

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Geforce RTX 3090 FE 

smh.....

AMD 1700X// Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 // Geil DDR4 3200 // Gigabyte Aorus 1080//  Samsung 128GB 840 Pro SSD(OS)// Seagate Barracuda 1TB(games&docs)//

Cool Master Stacker 935//  LG Ultrawide 34UM95//  XSPC 360 Liquid Cooling//

Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard//  Corsair M65RGB//  Xonar DX//  Audio Technica ATH A900X// Blue Snowball Mic(Tandy POP filter)  

I't be interesting to see how the forums are going to be flooded with people (aka noobz) downloading Mantle driver and patches to see them not working because of incompatible hardware (non-GCN GPU-s)  :D