Mantle Unleashed

worldwin
 We were told that this would eventually run on Linux and Mac OS

When did they say this?

When did they say this?

6mLnZYxl.png

Was a slide in their presentation. So does that mean they thought the Direct X shader library would be allowed to run on Mac\Linux? I mean that is some pretty wishful thinking. Now I would love for this to be the standard API. Any increase is a good increase. I bought  a crossfire board not only because it was cheap but I was going to go with a 280x. Problem? They were 450 bucks and my GTX 770 was under 300 open box.

This all just seems like a pipe dream. MS allowing their shader library to be used on two free OS's and one of them a free gaming OS,  and Mac as well? Hell MS forces OS upgrades with Direct X. It is the one thing they have that they can use to force you to buy their new OS. Consoles running Mantle native? That would just lead to easier emulation. I don't see MS letting their console die. I am really hoping this helps I3's and a single video cards, because last time I checked Steam stats, most people were sporting Intel CPU's. 

Too many things just seem dead in the water and things that won't ever happen. Do I want it to fail? Hell no. I want this thing to take off. I am just scared that it isn't now that everything is out in the open.

I think there is a better chance of game devs making native OpenGL ports then sticking with this (Steam OS/Steam machines).  The steam machines seem to be all Intel (I can only imagine power usage is why)? Steam machines are already being made with both Intel and Nvidia cards in them. OpenGL ports would just make more sense.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

CPU: AMD A10-7700K and Radeon R9 290X - 319% improvement at 1080p, 281% improvement at 1600p.

So the biggest performance increase comes for those using lopsided builds. Extremely powerful GPU and terrible CPU's. I mean seriously. Who would pay $700 dollars for a 290x and put it in a system with a $150 dollars CPU?

•  i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz • Noctua NHL12 •  Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 •  ASUS GTX 780 DCII 1156/6300 •

•  Kingston HyperX 16GB  •  Samsung 840 SSD 120GB [boot] + 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM •

•  Fractal Design Define R4  •  Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum •  Logitech Wireless Y-RK49  •  Logitech X-530  •

So the biggest performance increase comes for those using lopsided builds. Extremely powerful GPU and terrible CPU's. I mean seriously. Who would pay $700 dollars for a 290x and put it in a system with a $150 dollars CPU?

People like me. (well maybe not the 290x, the 290 is still $450 in my country) I can't afford full upgrade, so what I will do is get a powerfull GPU and pair it with my weak and old CPU without bottlenek. Before mantle that would've been stupid, but not now.

HARDWARE INTERRUPT MOTHAF#%A!
WINDOWS 10 = adware, driven by spyware

People like me. (well maybe not the 290x, the 290 is still $450 in my country) I can't afford full upgrade, so what I will do is get a powerfull GPU and pair it with my weak and old CPU without bottlenek. Before mantle that would've been stupid, but not now.

But you would still be bottlenecked in 95% of the games that will come out this year. Wouldn't it be better to save a little bit of money on the GPU and use it for the CPU, so you do not have one part of the build dragging down the rest?

•  i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz • Noctua NHL12 •  Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 •  ASUS GTX 780 DCII 1156/6300 •

•  Kingston HyperX 16GB  •  Samsung 840 SSD 120GB [boot] + 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM •

•  Fractal Design Define R4  •  Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum •  Logitech Wireless Y-RK49  •  Logitech X-530  •

But you would still be bottlenecked in 95% of the games that will come out this year. Wouldn't it be better to save a little bit of money on the GPU and use it for the CPU, so you do not have one part of the build dragging down the rest?

Really still with the no supported games argument? The hole point of mantle is to make console porting easier so I guess that's what devs will do. Also it's supported by Thief (Unreal Engine 3) BF4 (Frostbite) and Star Citizen(CryEngine 4th gen given CE 4th is a modified version but that suggests modding Engines to supp Mantle is quite possible).  Why I ask shouldn't other games running those engines supp mantle as well? It's obviously possible and as I said porting is supposed to be easier so that's likely gonna happen...

However, do correct me if I'm wrong.

Really still with the no supported games argument? The hole point of mantle is to make console porting easier so I guess that's what devs will do. Also it's supported by Thief (Unreal Engine 3) BF4 (Frostbite) and Star Citizen(CryEngine 4th gen given CE 4th is a modified version but that suggests modding Engines to supp Mantle is quite possible).  Why I ask shouldn't other games running those engines supp mantle as well? It's obviously possible and as I said porting is supposed to be easier so that's likely gonna happen...

However, do correct me if I'm wrong.

I will correct you because you are wrong. There will be hundreds of games coming out this year for the PC and only a few of them will actually support Mantle. This is a fact, and not something that can be argued over. Personally for me, I would spend my money making my system somewhat level instead of making it lopsided and hopping that a API that a very few games support will make my CPU run somewhat better.

The AMD drivers aren't just for Mantle. They are bringing Frame Pacing Phase 2 (aka better frame latency for Crossfire setups) and HSA support as well. 

HSA support is for APU's. I don't know what voodoo is being done to get 300% increases, but I have a feeling it's to make APUs look like a better choice for a gaming rig. 

If I can buy a 7700k instead of a 3570k (which is what I have now), and save $60 and get roughly the same performance in games, I'd save the money and get the APU. Unless I needed the 3570k for things other than gaming, but regardless. 

Still, this sounds too good to be true. "319% performance" ... How terrible was it to begin with? I mean really?

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.