Will One stick of ram work

Hi I’m wondering if one stick of ram will still work in a dual memory channel thx

Do you have a stick of memory already installed and are you adding some or...?

One stick of RaM alone will be single channel memory, which will work, but nowadays (especially certain CPU platforms) way prefer dual channel for the added throughput bonus.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, Minibois said:

Do you have a stick of memory already installed and are you adding some or...?

One stick of RaM alone will be single channel memory, which will work, but nowadays (especially certain CPU platforms) way prefer dual channel for the added throughput bonus.

No I’m building my first pc and I’ve got everything else sorted out but it would save me a bunch of money if I just installed one stick of ram

Just now, Shmuel_06 said:

No I’m building my first pc and I’ve got everything else sorted out but it would save me a bunch of money if I just installed one stick of ram

It can work, but a single stick of memory is called single channel.

The question kind of weirded me out, because you were talking about one stick of memory and dual channel.

That is like saying 'can my car have four wheel drive when it has two wheels'. It just doesnt match up..

Anyways, having said that: yes, you can use a PC with only one stick of memory (and later add an additional stick for dual channel), you just don't get the benefits dual channel gives you, which might not matter or cost you quite a bit of performance nowadays.

I would suggest liking up some dual channel vs single channel benchmarks/tests for the CPU you're getting to see how much - if at all - it matters.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It will work. I assume you are short on cash and are going to get one stick of ram for now and then get another later? If that is the case yes it will work, do what you have to. And you don't need to get matched sets of ram like they sell in the kits. Just get a stick to get it up and running then get another later when you can afford it. I would suggest getting the same model number though. You can mix and match ram if you have to but I wouldn't suggest it.

It is faster if you have two though because it will run in dual channel and double the speed. Enough that you will notice? Maybe, maybe not, depends on what you are doing with it.

I wouldn't just put one stick of ram in and leave it that way though. You would be better off getting two stick of cheaper ram. It would work, but it just seems like kind of a shame to cut your ram speed in half like that.

Sorry I didn't see minibios post, I literally said the same thing he did lol.

Thx both of u for helping me out I really appreciate it, btw sorry I meant to say if one stick will work if u have 2 slots not if it will work in a dual memory channel lol

46 minutes ago, Shmuel_06 said:

Thx both of u for helping me out I really appreciate it, btw sorry I meant to say if one stick will work if u have 2 slots not if it will work in a dual memory channel lol

Yeah it'll even work in 4 slots.

Have fun building

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

I would still do dual channel, especially if you are going for AMD right now.

single channel would choke Ryzens infinity fabric.

Sure i understand trying to save a penny but dual channel is better then single