Case fans help me pick I am torn between two!

jamsincali

So its a fractal design r6 usb c case

the system is going to be:

9980XE (air cooled with noctua cooler)

rtx2080ti founder edition

The case has one 140mm fans up front and one 140mm fan as exhaust.  The fans I have got it down to are bequiet silent wings 3 and noctua NF-A14 PWN running with low noise adapter.

here are the fan specs:

Noctura NF-A14 PWM with low noise adapter

CFM: 67.98

pressure: 1.51

rpm: 1200

noise: 19.2db

rpm 1200

Bequiet Silent Wings 3 140mm

CFM: 59.5

pressure: 1.08

noise: 15.5db

rpm 1000

So with that said I would prefer the quieter fans but will 3 of them be enough? The Noctuas have a higher CFM and Pressure but are also louder. If you think the bequiets will create enough airflow I would rather go with quiet because sound is everything to me since it is going in my studio but not at the risk of the computer getting really hot because I wanted to save 3.7DB per fan.

Your expert opinion will help 10x

Thanks

J

10 minutes ago, jamsincali said:

So like, why the 9980XE over threadripper?

And what resolution/refresh rate is your monitor for the 2080ti? or do you need it for something else besides gaming I'm assuming.

You don't need a silence focused case to get low noise levels.

But if you're buying that kind of system you should really just do a custom water cooling loop for it, in probably the 011 dynamic.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

@Streetguru

Doing it over threadripper just cause I am an intel person. most parts have already been ordered. This will be used as a protools station and for now the CPU is going to be in the room till I have time to start running a plethora of cables. I don't want to do a watercooling system because I had a bad experience a long time ago which cost be $$$.

60hz is the monitor resolution. I could of gone with something much cheaper but I picked up the rtx2080ti FE as a treat but never the less I know that is gonna be noisy compared to smaller cards like 1060's 

So it is gonna be air cooled its just are the Bequiets going to be enought to keep it cool or should I go with the Nocturas at the price of adding 4 DB more. If I can keep it quieter the better but not at the risk of overheating the system.

Thoughts?

5 minutes ago, jamsincali said:

It's just that if you need a lot of CPU cores, you can get the 32 core 2990WX for $1500, or the 24 core for like $999, or a 16 core for $500...

Watercooling going to be pretty safe though, just basic soft tubing isn't that expensive as well.

If not just make sure to buy like the biggest heatsink you can find for that CPU.

Noctua just has like the best fans in general, and I think their newest design is finally out at retail as well.

If it's like a super serious audio station then I'd just make a hole in the wall somewhere and put the PC in an entirely different room if possible, like what linus did for his home system server thing.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

@Streetguru

So do you think dropping 8.48 CFM per fan and dropping .43 on pressure per fan wouldn't be worth the risk of saving 3.db?

Just now, jamsincali said:

@Streetguru

So do you think dropping 8.48 CFM per fan and dropping .43 on pressure per fan wouldn't be worth the risk of saving 3.db?

Most high end motherboards have DC fan control now, so you can just set the airflow/noise exactly where you need it to be per fan as well.

Noctua just tends to have the better design, especially if it's trying to pull air in from the front of an R6.

I wouldn't try to go too low on the fan speeds because of that case either though, but you can always just mess around with the fan speeds.

What motherboard?

Here's a huge list of noise testing from GN, from their Coolermaster H500 review, it has some of the best thermals though, so if you went with that you could just lower the fan speed on the 2 200mm fans

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3334-cooler-master-h500-case-review-recommended

7_cm-h500-noise.png

Spoiler

1 minute ago, jamsincali said:

Motherboard is Asus X299 Sage 10G

Then it should have DC fan control so you can directly control the speed of any fan hooked up to the motherboard.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/WS-X299-SAGE-10G/

"4-pin PWM/DC fan"

Spoiler

@Streetguru

and that should work just fine with the Noctua fans running with the Low Noise Filer adapter?

1 minute ago, jamsincali said:

@Streetguru

and that should work just fine with the Noctua fans running with the Low Noise Filer adapter?

You don't need the adapter is the point there, the motherboard can handle all of the fan control.

Spoiler

@Streetguru Copy but just out of curiosity would it work?

13 hours ago, jamsincali said:

@Streetguru Copy but just out of curiosity would it work?

It would work but the adapter is only supposed to be used if you otherwise can't control the fan speed. If you can control the fan with pwm, the LNA only limits the rpm and doesn't offer any more control.

You need to click on the member's name from the drop down menu to properly tag. It should look like this:

@Streetguru

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.