Trying to not hate Linux

So... I tried installing Kali Linux on a separate drive yesterday on my laptop since I wanted to fiddle around with the tools it had but then it was shyt slow. Why? It lags on startup, lags even scrolling on apps. And the worse case it gets stuck on a stop job has started and has a never ending loop. This all doesn't appear on my desktop (My desktop runs fine smooth and has 0 zero issues) but no no not my laptop 

So I then tried Ubuntu on the laptop. Installed fine went through no problem but then shutting down gets jammed it just freezes and never switches of on the Ubuntu logo with 4 dots. 

So I'm thinking is it my hardware? Because I'm installing everything on a separate partition I made (Hard drive). 

Should I try using my ssd instead of hard drive to see a change or am I hopeless because I've heard a lot of new changes on Linux. 

Welp.. I'll be open to answer any questions that might aid the fix ..

Tq

2 minutes ago, DarshanDash said:

So... I tried installing Kali Linux on a separate drive yesterday on my laptop since I wanted to fiddle around with the tools it had but then it was shyt slow. Why? It lags on startup, lags even scrolling on apps.

I don't think Kali installs any NVIDIA-driver by default and might just be using a software-rendered VESA-mode. That's certainly going to be slow.

4 minutes ago, DarshanDash said:

So I then tried Ubuntu on the laptop. Installed fine went through no problem but then shutting down gets jammed it just freezes and never switches of on the Ubuntu logo with 4 dots. 

Hard to say without any logs as to what the issue is. Some laptops have issues with Linux, mostly due to having a BIOS that was only designed for Windows and skimps on supporting anything else properly. That said, what version of Ubuntu did you install and did you install updates for it?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

IMHO, Linux is a crapshoot on any laptop that uses anything but integrated graphics.  NV Optimus makes running Linux nearly impossible if you want to use your GPU.

Just now, wasab said:

Linux works great for AMD cards with open sourced drivers which is baked into the kernel. 

AMD GPUs make up like... 1% of laptops.

The ubuntu version I installed was ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS and yes I tried to update via the application itself but then it gave me an error after a while saying failed to connect to ethernet. 
To add on I don't understand what you guys mean by Linux or Kali installs on nvidia drivers?  I use an MX150 on the laptop I don't see how it relates to slowing both my kali and ubuntu.. 

My main concern and question is how the heck does is lag, does not want to switch off and takes so long to boot up on my laptop but not on my DESKTOP. 

Like my kali Linux on Desktop is smoother than Linus's forehead it has zero lag. FYI I'm also quite new to Linux but I have pretty good understanding on the installation part because I've done it a number of times.

Sorry for the double post I forgot how to multi quote and edit 

Just now, KarathKasun said:

IMHO, Linux is a crapshoot on any laptop that uses anything but integrated graphics.  NV Optimus makes running Linux nearly impossible if you want to use your GPU.

Just now, wasab said:

Linux works great for AMD cards with open sourced drivers which is baked into the kernel. 

30 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

AMD GPUs make up like... 1% of laptops.

Bumblebeed with Primus worked decently. If not just use Nvidia server setting and then log out login. There is no such thing as Optimus on Linux anyway. It is a feature on windows. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

5 minutes ago, wasab said:

Bumblebeed with Primus worked decently. If not just use Nvidia server setting and then log out login. There is no such thing as Optimus on Linux anyway. It is a feature on windows. 

The laptops with no display output from the GPU are not well supported in the best scenario.

32 minutes ago, DarshanDash said:

The ubuntu version I installed was ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS and yes I tried to update via the application itself but then it gave me an error after a while saying failed to connect to ethernet. 
To add on I don't understand what you guys mean by Linux or Kali installs on nvidia drivers?  I use an MX150 on the laptop I don't see how it relates to slowing both my kali and ubuntu.. 

My main concern and question is how the heck does is lag, does not want to switch off and takes so long to boot up on my laptop but not on my DESKTOP. 

Like my kali Linux on Desktop is smoother than Linus's forehead it has zero lag. FYI I'm also quite new to Linux but I have pretty good understanding on the installation part because I've done it a number of times.

Sorry for the double post I forgot how to multi quote and edit 

If you ever had the pleasure of using Windows with no GPU drivers installed, this is the same thing.

If there is no driver installed for your GPU, everything is drawn by the CPU through a very primitive display API.  This makes the whole user interface very laggy and some programs will fail to function properly.

Just now, KarathKasun said:

The laptops with no display output from the GPU are not well supported in the best scenario.

If you ever had the pleasure of using Windows with no GPU drivers installed, this is the same thing.

If there is no driver installed for your GPU, everything is drawn by the CPU through a very primitive display API.  This makes the whole user interface very laggy and some programs will fail to function properly.

so... there's no hope to use kali or ubuntu on my laptop then... I mean i'm trying Linux mint at the moment everything seems fine zero lag butter smooth. Maybe i'll stick with it

3 hours ago, DarshanDash said:

I tried installing Kali Linux

Found your problem.

Kali Linux is not intended to be installed and used as a desktop operating system. Use Ubuntu, Mint or Debian or something like that.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 7/27/2019 at 4:21 AM, Sauron said:

Kali Linux is not intended to be installed and used as a desktop operating system. Use Ubuntu, Mint or Debian or something like that.

Agreed. Kali is for pen testing, not as a daily driver for surfing the web. If you actually need some of the tools from it, you can download those from the repos.

For the screen is blue and full of errors.