Bulk Storage Using Disk Shelves?

6 hours ago, Kered124 said:

Use the files that come with sas2flash 14? or use the new files from HP's site that I extracted earlier?

Files from the HP site

On 8/9/2019 at 6:47 AM, leadeater said:

Files from the HP site

So, I gave this a try. I think it would probably work if i could get it to run. Windows pops up an error and tells me I cant run SAS2Flash on my pc for some reason. I tried opening the command prompt as administrator and running it and it still says I can't run the software on this pc in a popup. After I close the popup the command line tells me I don't have permission to run the software.

23 hours ago, Kered124 said:

So, I gave this a try. I think it would probably work if i could get it to run. Windows pops up an error and tells me I cant run SAS2Flash on my pc for some reason. I tried opening the command prompt as administrator and running it and it still says I can't run the software on this pc in a popup. After I close the popup the command line tells me I don't have permission to run the software.

Create a DOS usb boot disk and copy the firmware and sas2flash utility on it and bot in to DOS, it'll work in there.

15 hours ago, leadeater said:

Create a DOS usb

Sorry, but how does one do this? When googling I found a lot of guides on how to install Windows..?

1 hour ago, Kered124 said:

Sorry, but how does one do this? When googling I found a lot of guides on how to install Windows..?

There's a tool called Rufus that can make a FreeDOS image on a USB drive for you, I also use it to create all my bootable install media like Windows etc. After you use Rufus to make a DOS bootable USB copy the firmware and sas2flash utility on to it then boot your computer using that USB and you'll be booted in to DOS where the application has more direct access to the SAS HBA card, or at least the utility is better able to do it under DOS than Windows.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

There's a tool called Rufus that can make a FreeDOS image on a USB drive for you, I also use it to create all my bootable install media like Windows etc. After you use Rufus to make a DOS bootable USB copy the firmware and sas2flash utility on to it then boot your computer using that USB and you'll be booted in to DOS where the application has more direct access to the SAS HBA card, or at least the utility is better able to do it under DOS than Windows.

No way! I have been using rufus for years and never understood/ knew what that feature was for- very cool! I'll definitely try this when I get home. Thank you for teaching me something very useful!

On 8/12/2019 at 10:31 AM, leadeater said:

Alright, I created a bootable DOS environment and put v14 sas2flash on it along qith the H200 firmware and mptsas2.rom file. I was able to get booted and attempt to run sas2flash, but ran into an error. I have included a picture of what I typed + the response I got. 

DOS_SAS2Flash_Error.PNG

On 8/12/2019 at 10:31 AM, leadeater said:

So I researched the error I was getting and figured out it would be easiest to switch hardware for the flash and use something older without a UEFI BIOS, so I did exactly that. I then tried to flash using the same files, and was presented with an error. Although I had downloaded version P14, It had SAS2Flash v10.0. I went back to the webpage and found a version of the software that included a DOS flasher for SAS2Flash v14.0 and tried again. I got the same error as I did with V10- I have attached a picture with the error. The command I used is: sas2flsh -o -f H220_it.fw -b mptsas2.rom

I feel like I am so close to getting this to work- it must be a detail somewhere that I am missing!

Version_14_error_FreeDos.jpg

10 minutes ago, Kered124 said:

I feel like I am so close to getting this to work- it must be a detail somewhere that I am missing!

Kind of wondering if it actually is an H220. Have a look in to those NVDATA chip revisions.

21 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Kind of wondering if it actually is an H220. Have a look in to those NVDATA chip revisions.

So I found this: https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/flashing-hp-h220-h221-sas-cards.40052/

Which talks about the card a little. To confirm- my card is the 2308 based one. When I list it in SAS2Flash it is shown as '2308_2 (D1)

I was going to try the suggested software/process within the link above, but all of the links to their resources are broken.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Long time ago - but you can also flash Ilov4 to make fans quieter.

Otherwise mine goes to 80%