4K @ 60Hz not working with my HDMI cables

I've been attempting to get my 4K monitor (LG 27UD60-B) working at 4K @ 60Hz with some HDMI 2.0 Cables. I didn't have any, so I bought one off Amazon, from the AmazonBasics lineup. When I tried to use it, 4K was only working at 30Hz, I contacted support and we chalked it down to being due to the cable's length of 10 feet, and have since returned that cable. Afterward, I got a 6ft cable from Home Depot that claimed to be 18Gbps, so I assumed that one would work for sure. When I connected it, I was met with the same fate. The display was still running 4K @ 30Hz. Does anyone know a solution to this? My computer shouldn't be the issue either, as I'm running an RTX 2080, which is more than capable of outputting such a resolution. Some cable recommendations are appreciated as well.

EDIT: I am unable to use my DisplayPort ports, as both of them are occupied. One by a high refresh-rate monitor and the other by a VR headset.

Edited by ActualCannibal

Try Displayport!

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Just now, Constantin said:

Try Displayport!

Both of my DisplayPort ports are occupied, so that is unfortunately not an option. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll edit that into my original post so people don't simply suggest it again.

buy a HDMI 2.0 and as short as you can!

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

I feel i should say that i use these really cheapo hdmi cables that came free with an old cablebox and they run 4k 60hz just fine. So i don't think it would be the cable at fault. try running only that monitor alone on the gpu and see if it works.

46 minutes ago, emosun said:

I feel i should say that i use these really cheapo hdmi cables that came free with an old cablebox and they run 4k 60hz just fine. So i don't think it would be the cable at fault. try running only that monitor alone on the gpu and see if it works.

I dont see how it could be the computers fault, as when both monitors are connected through DisplayPort (one is 1440p 144hz, the other 4k 60hz), they work just fine. It has only been with HDMI that I cant reach 60hz, so I assume the problem has something to do with the cable. I also tried varying price ranges for the cables. The one I got off of Amazon was brand new and cheap, and the one I got at Home Depot was fairly expensive considering its offerings. That said, I am starting to believe that the HDMI ports on this relatively cheap 4K monitor could be at fault, though I highly doubt it is. Thats why I've chalked up the problem to being due to the cables.

1 minute ago, ActualCannibal said:

I dont see how it could be the computers fault, as when both monitors are connected through DisplayPort (one is 1440p 144hz, the other 4k 60hz), they work just fine. It has only been with HDMI that I cant reach 60hz, so I assume the problem has something to do with the cable. I also tried varying price ranges for the cables. The one I got off of Amazon was brand new and cheap, and the one I got at Home Depot was fairly expensive considering its offerings. That said, I am starting to believe that the HDMI ports on this relatively cheap 4K monitor could be at fault, though I highly doubt it is. Thats why I've chalked up the problem to being due to the cables.

So just for clarity , you aren't going to try the hdmi monitor by itself then correct?

do what emosun said..just run the hdmi...unplug the others...your video card might be throwing a fit between the different stuff you have hooked up

11 hours ago, emosun said:

So just for clarity , you aren't going to try the hdmi monitor by itself then correct?

After attempting what you said, emosun, the display was still running 4K @ 30Hz. I made sure to restart the computer and power cycle the monitor as well. Unfortunately isolating the monitor doesn't resolve the issue.

hmmmm are you changing settings for hz in nvideas control panel or windows? i did it in windows to get the 60hz

1 hour ago, circeseye said:

hmmmm are you changing settings for hz in nvideas control panel or windows? i did it in windows to get the 60hz

I have been using the Nvidia control panel to adjust the resolution. I just attempted to use the Windows display settings to fix it, but to no avail.

19 minutes ago, ActualCannibal said:

I have been using the Nvidia control panel to adjust the resolution. I just attempted to use the Windows display settings to fix it, but to no avail.

here you go.. the fix is to go in the Monitor menu and make sure "Ratio" under "Quick Settings" is 1:1 or Original (NOT Wide). For me it was set to Wide when I got it, and when in "Wide" it limits to 30Hz.

came from this
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/lg-27ud68-have-only-4k-30hz-option-and-not-60hz.2951009/

22 hours ago, circeseye said:

here you go.. the fix is to go in the Monitor menu and make sure "Ratio" under "Quick Settings" is 1:1 or Original (NOT Wide). For me it was set to Wide when I got it, and when in "Wide" it limits to 30Hz.

came from this
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/lg-27ud68-have-only-4k-30hz-option-and-not-60hz.2951009/

Thanks for the info. After that, however, it still wasn't working. I had to call LG support and I found out that you have to enable HDMI Ultra Deep Color in order for the 4K 60Hz option to even be available. That's pretty dumb imo, I expect monitors to be plug and play, but whatever. Point is, it's working now. Thanks for the help :)

1 hour ago, ActualCannibal said:

Thanks for the info. After that, however, it still wasn't working. I had to call LG support and I found out that you have to enable HDMI Ultra Deep Color in order for the 4K 60Hz option to even be available. That's pretty dumb imo, I expect monitors to be plug and play, but whatever. Point is, it's working now. Thanks for the help :)

damn seriously? what crap

• 2 years later...

Just wanted to respond and say THANK YOU!!!! This was an issue with my LG 32MU99, an otherwise great looking monitor that I couldn't get to show 4k60 over HDMI (because its DP was broken 😞 ). Works like it should now. Anyways thank you again