hyper evo 212 vs Master liquid ML120R

bds48312

Hello I'm trying to decide what would be the better option for the system I currently have. I have a FX 8350 CPU and would like to know what would be the better option as far as CPU cooling that would allow me to do some overclocking. Would it be better to install a hyper evo 212 with dual fans or the Master liquid ML120 AIO? The case I have limits me to 120mm AIO's as well if I choose to go that route.

if it helps this is what the system consists of

Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 r5 motherboard

GTX 1060 Graphics card

16GB of g.skill ripjaws DDR3 ram,(soon to be upgraded to 32GB)

corsair cx650m PSU

all in a Corsair carbide series spec-02 red line case,(which as I understand has good airflow properties)

212 is a great air cooler, is cheap and simple to install and is quiet when operating

the aio is expensive and to be honest overclock that cpu requires a good motherboard that often is not present on a old build like that, if you dont have a 990fx chipset i wouldnt recommend any form of overclock

Absolutely not worth investing $100 on liquid cooling. Not worth investing in socket AM3.  Jesus, don't upgrade to 32 GB of DDR3, what's the point..

Want more performance? Spend 105$ on a Ryzen 1600 : https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-1600/p/N82E16819113435

Sell the MB+CPU+RAM for maybe 100$, but a 60$ 16 GB DDR4 kit (example ) and a 50-60$ motherboard ( example )

You'll get maybe 20-30% more performance with stock everything.

Besides this, you'll also save money on power every month.

12 minutes ago, goto10 said:

212 is a great air cooler, is cheap and simple to install and is quiet when operating

I disagree about that install part, the installation of the Hyper 212 EVO is relatively cumbersome depending on how much experience you have on installing coolers with that unusual double-parted mounting system.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

1 hour ago, seoz said:

I disagree about that install part, the installation of the Hyper 212 EVO is relatively cumbersome depending on how much experience you have on installing coolers with that unusual double-parted mounting system.

is more simple when compared against a aio on a old case, definitively more easy

They'd probably be pretty similar. Why are you looking at these coolers in particular?

Larger AIO's should fit. You can see some examples here: https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/FtV48d#h=5,317,678,714,424,303,492,314

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2019 at 7:31 PM, goto10 said:

the aio is expensive and to be honest overclock that cpu requires a good motherboard that often is not present on a old build like that, if you dont have a 990fx chipset i wouldnt recommend any form of overclock

I have the 990 chipset and the AIO was only 90 dollars. Also so far this system has been able to play everything I've thrown at it on ultra or high settings at 1080P. I'm not looking to do a radical overclock either, just a little bit of one so the gtx 1060 isn't bottle necked as much.

On 7/24/2019 at 7:31 PM, goto10 said:

On 7/24/2019 at 9:30 PM, goto10 said:

is more simple when compared against a aio on a old case, definitively more easy

I tried installing a hyper 212, that was some B.S. to be totally honest, I did go with the aio I was looking at and the system is a lot less noisy now which is one of the main reasons I wanted to upgrade the cooler in the first place.

On 7/24/2019 at 11:21 PM, WoodenMarker said:

They'd probably be pretty similar. Why are you looking at these coolers in particular?

Larger AIO's should fit. You can see some examples here: https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/FtV48d#h=5,317,678,714,424,303,492,314

I'm actually looking to build a Ryzen 7 or 9 system in the next year,(maybe with a 2080 TI), this system I just built and was just looking for a CPU cooling solution that would not be as loud as the stock wraith cooler while playing games and possibly allow me to overclock the 8350 a bit. I plan on this system eventually being the one that captures and live streams game play from the eventual Ryzen system I want to build,(so as that system can be fully dedicated to running games while live streaming)

On 7/24/2019 at 7:44 PM, mariushm said:

Absolutely not worth investing $100 on liquid cooling. Not worth investing in socket AM3.  Jesus, don't upgrade to 32 GB of DDR3, what's the point..

Want more performance? Spend 105$ on a Ryzen 1600 : https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-1600/p/N82E16819113435

Sell the MB+CPU+RAM for maybe 100$, but a 60$ 16 GB DDR4 kit (example ) and a 50-60$ motherboard ( example )

You'll get maybe 20-30% more performance with stock everything.

Besides this, you'll also save money on power every month.

2 minutes ago, bds48312 said:

I'm actually looking to build a Ryzen 7 or 9 system in the next year,(maybe with a 2080 TI), this system I just built and was just looking for a CPU cooling solution that would not be as loud as the stock wraith cooler while playing games and possibly allow me to overclock the 8350 a bit. I plan on this system eventually being the one that captures and live streams game play from the eventual Ryzen system I want to build,(so as that system can be fully dedicated to running games while live streaming) 

2 hours ago, bds48312 said:

I did go with the aio I was looking at and the system is a lot less noisy now which is one of the main reasons I wanted to upgrade the cooler in the first place.

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that you already got the AIO but still want a new cooler?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

11 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that you already got the AIO but still want a new cooler?

Naw I wanted to replace the st9ck cooler because of how loud it was playing games. Decided to go with the aio because of the higher TDP rating and the fact that the hyper 212 is a nightmare to install

On 8/3/2019 at 11:11 AM, bds48312 said:

Naw I wanted to replace the st9ck cooler because of how loud it was playing games. Decided to go with the aio because of the higher TDP rating and the fact that the hyper 212 is a nightmare to install

If you want a simple installation, it's hard to go wrong with a NH-U12S: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wjmLrH/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhu12s

Not sure why people complain about the 212. They are not really that hard to put in. Takes me about 3 minutes.

On 7/24/2019 at 7:44 PM, mariushm said:

Jesus, don't upgrade to 32 GB of DDR3, what's the point..

As someone with 32gb of DDR3 I find your comment offensive

blender does love free RAM

Sorry about my spelling sometimes. My $1200 laptop has a $2 keyboard.

13 minutes ago, FeralSparky said:

Not sure why people complain about the 212. They are not really that hard to put in. Takes me about 3 minutes.

3 minutes?!?

that is a eternity!

to be honest this cheap cooler i have here couldnt be more simple and also more complicated, it uses the old mount mechanism amd had before, but the thong is really anoying to install, it took me like 2 minutes to install, terrible amount of time!  i know!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2019 at 7:59 PM, BleachedFur said:

As someone with 32gb of DDR3 I find your comment offensive

blender does love free RAM

I might also add that I do do video editing from time to time so the idea is that more ram would be nice for running things like Adobe premier pro

On 8/8/2019 at 8:07 PM, goto10 said:

3 minutes?!?

that is a eternity!

to be honest this cheap cooler i have here couldnt be more simple and also more complicated, it uses the old mount mechanism amd had before, but the thong is really anoying to install, it took me like 2 minutes to install, terrible amount of time!  i know!

I installed one on a computer not too long ago and it took a lot longer than 3 minutes. Hell it took me around half an hour to figure out what brackets to use as the instructions that came with it were garbage. I ended up watching a video how to and even then with the particular model I had it was made a bitch by the placement of the screws in relation to the brackets and the fins,(wouldn't have been as bad had I had a really long screwdriver).

That being said the AIO I went with was a bit of a challenge as well but it has a higher TDP and it quiter while gaming and the added bonus of the argb lighting is a nice bonus even though I'm running everything in red to go with the rest of the aesthetic of the computer.