Any budget DSLRs for plane spotting?

Hello! I am looking to buy a DSLR for plane spotting. It should be able to record good videos (30FPS minimum), and it shouldn't be more than 400 Euros (Appx. 448 USD) as I am tight on budget. Thanks in advance!

I'd suggest looking at a MFT (Micro Four Thirds) camera. The smaller sensor gives you a bit more reach and you can keep the focal lengths a bit smaller. The budget is a bit problematic though. Considering your budget I'd go with an older model (or maybe a used one) to have some money for a long tele lens. Imho the G7 won't make you happy since you'll be missing a long lens. The kit won't give you the reach and it costs almost $500 new.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

So.... 400 EUR (approx. 450 USD) for a body and lens for plane spotting? That's one hell of an ask. You're definitely going used and/or refurbished on that. As @bowrilla said, MFT would give you a little more reach due to "crop factor" - if you have no idea what that means, you need to study up on photography concepts before finding a body/lens combination. Otherwise, the lens is going to be more important, as you'll want a long reach and optical stabilization ("vibration reduction"). So find that first before worrying about the camera body.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

How far do you plan on being from the aircraft? Are you going to be lining up at the fence near the take-off/landing zone or do you need more reach (to get planes thousands of feet away)?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Very difficult based upon the budget, because for plane spotting, you are going to need a telephoto lens, and those types of lenses aren't cheap.

Probably a decent option would be the Canon EOS 700D/Rebel T5i, with the Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS STM lens. Should be able to pick that up used at around your price point.

If you can eek out some more out of the budget, a used Canon EOS 750D/Rebel T6i would be a solid upgrade on the body.

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to picture taking and just got a sealife dc1400- pink of course and I am open to any suggestions to get the most of my camera. I will appreciate any suggestions....Thanks Juju :bk: