Red Mini-mag reverse engineered, make your own minimag video?

linusss

Jinnitech released their reverse engineering video for the minimags today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgfANfJYFnE

From what I understand, they're just writing to log91 of the drive's SMART system the serial number of the drive and the camera just checks that the reported SN and the log's value matches. What a simple, lazy form of drm lol

Do you guys think Linus will make a diy minimag video based on this method to test these claims?

Jinnitech also hid a few things in his video. Watch this

The RED mags have bits added to the firmware so that the camera can verify that it is genuine RED and if you use any other ordinary SSD, it slows the speed down. If you can get the firmware to be the same on your fake mag, it will be almost impossible to identify it as a fake

If you want me to see your reply, please tag me @Faisal A

5 minutes ago, Faisal A said:

Jinnitech also hid a few things in his video. Watch this

The RED mags have bits added to the firmware so that the camera can verify that it is genuine RED and if you use any other ordinary SSD, it slows the speed down. If you can get the firmware to be the same on your fake mag, it will be almost impossible to identify it as a fake

I'm fairly sure it's not firmware on the SSD drives. They don't program a new firmware.

I think what they're doing is they're "formatting" the SSD a certain way and then they're using a tools to modify a few bytes in the file system (like a drive label, or setting the last modified time of a file to some special value) which are normally not visible to the user and by changing those bytes they're not corrupting the file system or making it proprietary in any way.

Then, if the firmware inside the camera doesn't read those bytes from the SSD (as in you replaced the SSD inside a mini-mag with your own) the firmware switches to using slower write speeds.

The guy from JinniTech found some older firmwares and looked inside them and saw how the mini mags are formatted by the camera and what's written on the SSD and he probably wrote his own tool that "prepares" the SSD filling that information so that the camera will see it as genuine.

Video deleted bytheway.

I wonder why?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

please remember that jinnitech creates knock off mini mags.  which means they directly profit from creating videos like this.

everything they claim should be taken with a grain of salt, and verified by a third party. 

i have no doubts they are willing to put out blatantly false claims so people will by their knock off mags, instead of Red branded ones. 

follow the money

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.