Best Home Server Storage Solution ( with redundancy )

Hi guys,

I often receive error message from my raid controller ( IRST ) that say "Non-Member Disk" Error. Major issue are : third time receiving this error , running in raid 10 so i have to delete the entire raid and then recreate it , and finally as the amount of data increase it begin to be hard to backup those somewhere else ( was 4x4tb at first but now now its 6x8tb )

So the question here is : Is it the integrated Raid Controller fault , will a dedicated raid card work better ( less bug ) or do Software Raid are better ???

brief server spec :

Asus maximus 8 extreme
i7-6700k
64gb ram ddr4 3000mhz
6x WD 8TB ( 4 blue and 2 black ) in raid 10
240gb ssd as boot
dvd drive

thank you

P.S. i know Raid arent design as backup solution but when u do need approx 50TB for ur data and backup $$$ begin to matter too

Use case really determines which is better. For active or general data storage software RAID works quite well. I would recommend ZFS. It's not a performance oriented file system as it sacrifices some of it for better resiliency. As oppose to some other file systems ZFS does a lot more to maintain the integrity of the data giving you plenty of warning about disk errors prior to drive failure. It also does active scrubbing to correct errors.

If you don't want to change the drives, go with a software solution. A hardware raid card will eventually kick out a drive that doesn't respond in-time. NAS drives have a function called TLER for this. All your drives lack this function so the array will eventually fail on a hardware raid card (i speak from experience, i once had 3 WD blacks in an array. It failed after a few months).

I have no signature

how do they manage data server in buisness solution , i mean most data center NEED to use Raid at some point. At my point i dont care about paying to change the hardware cuz i plan to anyway so if u tell me that a buisness grade RAID controller will work better / be more reliable. i will begin to look for 1, if u tell me that NAS Enclosure are better , ( obviously with WD Red disk ). I just want something that is reliable and provide a bit of redundancy like RAID 01 / 6 / 10 

Btw  WD Black use TLER  but not the blue whats strange is thats always my 2 WD black that get kick out of the the raid array

8 hours ago, Cyressvirus said:

how do they manage data server in buisness solution , i mean most data center NEED to use Raid at some point. At my point i dont care about paying to change the hardware cuz i plan to anyway so if u tell me that a buisness grade RAID controller will work better / be more reliable. i will begin to look for 1, if u tell me that NAS Enclosure are better , ( obviously with WD Red disk ). I just want something that is reliable and provide a bit of redundancy like RAID 01 / 6 / 10 

Btw  WD Black use TLER  but not the blue whats strange is thats always my 2 WD black that get kick out of the the raid array

With six disks, I wouldn't use RAID10 - at that point, I'd switch to RAID 5 or 6 (depending on desired fault tolerance vs required Write speeds).

Also I'd definitely get a hardware RAID card. You can find excellent deals on used enterprise RAID cards on eBay - look for something like an LSI branded RAID card (or a Dell or IBM branded one - which are LSI hardware). Example: LSI 9266-8i - note, with a SAS RAID Card, you'll need proper SAS to Sata breakout cables too - you can get these on NewEgg or eBay or other places.

Feel free to run hardware by us and we'll let you know if they're good options.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

11 hours ago, Cyressvirus said:

how do they manage data server in buisness solution , i mean most data center NEED to use Raid at some point.

Both hardware RAID & software RAID are utilized in the enterprise space. Use case determines which an establishment goes with. Sometimes it's even a combination of the two for some SAN based networks.

im not really use to massive storage like this but i dont get it "whats the point of both software and hardware raid and how and let me give u some more info on what i store on this server. Maybe u can help me figure out the best solution

- music library ( around 650k song )

- game library for 3PC  ( they all have nvme ssd only ) so they store stuff elsewhere

- some doc ( job stuff )

- and ripped and transcoded my entire DVD / Bluray collection ( around 2k )

was bored to search for a movie in a freakin room where was only dvd in shelf