No POST on New Build

Go to solution Solved by Tea-Sir,

This is like a game of "whack-a-mole"... - But new is always good, it means we are moving in the right direction.

Anyway, 62 seems to be an errorcode for either a faulty graphics card or PCI-E slot.

AE seems like a good place to be stuck, it means it is trying to boot from the harddrive.

Also it seems it is communicating the harddrive.

A0 is "IDE initialization is started" which along with AE means the BIOS has fully booted, and now Windows, or at least a Windows boot error should be on the screen. Or at least it is trying to.

Your problem could be your graphics card. According to the motherboard manual, it is only PCI-E 2.0 slots. The graphics card is a 3.0 card.

You might need a slightly older card.

You could try this first though:

1. Check the power to the graphics card, is the power cable properly inserted, and is the right one from the PSU? - Try pulling it out and reinstering it.
  2. Try to move the graphics card to the 3rd slot (2nd full length PCI-E slot) That is also a x16 slot.

Now I did a google search to see compatibility for 3.0 cards in 2.0 cards, but Google is not really in a helpful mood today. I only found one thread about which suggest it is possible. But maybe your specific motherboard doesn't know that, or require a BIOS update to figure it out. ?

And you are welcome, if I can, I want to help.

How Do

Just done a system build from scratch to replace a old phenom 955 setup.

So i started her up, I hear no POST, nothing on screen, but all fans are spinning (cpu gpu case).

The motherboard should give a 2 digit led code, but thats not on, but there is red and amber lights on the motherboard.

could it be the MB ATX connection, as i had problems squeezing both connectors onto the same bit.

i7 2600k

Maximus IV Extreme Z

Noctua NH-L9i

16 gb ripjaw

R9 270x (2gb)

Maxtor stm3250310as HDD

EVGA 600w 80+ psu

Core v51 case

can anyone offer some enlightment to what it could be.

Ive put some photos on here.

Much obliged

w7kcah.jpg

14ak8r4.jpg

mifl04.jpg

9pt69v.jpg

2v2b781.jpg

one of the ram modules is not properly inserted, the top side must be inserted properly

are those 4gb ram modules? they look weird

The 8pin CPU power connector is not plugged in.

Edit: Oh, and in one of the other photos the 24pin motherboard connector is not inserted properly either.

image.thumb.png.07016acefbbc93623b0b6bef2f2b9ecc.png

The 4pin part of the motherboard 24pin connector is not plugged in. Needs to be fully inserted.
image.png.919f8daa1eb2ee19c38977c2770073dc.png

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

20 minutes ago, zack96 said:

could it be the MB ATX connection, as i had problems squeezing both connectors onto the same bit.

It definitely looks as though the power supply isn't properly plugged in. The 20 and 4 pin connector should be lined up, and in the photos I can see they're clearly not.

Most of those connector have notches or such on them to align them respective of each other, so my recommendation would be unplugging them, and try reinserting them.

Also, I agree with @goto10 and @Spotty. One of the RAM modules isn't inserted all the way. Once they are, the plastic clips should snap into place. And the CPU power needs to be plugged in as well.

yes its 4x4gb ive checked the modules they are clicked in place, ive also tryed with 2 modules inserted, still the same

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

1 minute ago, zack96 said:

yes its 4x4gb ive checked the modules they are clicked in place, ive also tryed with 2 modules inserted, still the same

Check your CPU connector!

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

true

1 minute ago, zack96 said:

Pay attention to the cpu power connector 

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

2 minutes ago, Void Master said:

true

Pay attention to the cpu power connector 

2 minutes ago, ValkyrieStar said:

Check your CPU connector!

Also I didn't see it at first, but the motherboard 24pin connector is not plugged in correctly either. Edited my post.

@zack96 Need to plug in the 24pin connector properly and plug in the CPU power connector above the CPU. Push down on the left memory stick so that it fully inserts. May have to take it out and put it back in again to get it in properly.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Thanks all i managed to get it sorted out, i didnt realise you needed to plug in those 2 cpu connectors (old motherboard only needed 24 pin)

anyway a new problem i still cant get into BIOs as i keep getting A2 error ( IDE Detect) , ive only got 2 sata drives connected (HDD, BDR Drive)

ive tryed moving taking the bdr sata cable out to start with just hdd, and ive plugged them both into 3gb/s (grey) sata connectors, but still the error?

Could it be I put a fresh (formatted no partitions) copy of windows 7 on the sata hdd before I took my phenom apart. 

Or

I'm using a DVI connection.

I did a little digging in the manual, and it seems the default operation for the SATA connections is IDE. That should be AHCI.

Maybe try to disconnect all drives and see if you can then get into the BIOS.

The key to get into the BIOS should be DELETE.

How Do

Spent most of yesterday trying out all sorts ways to get to the bottom of the A2 error... (removing all sata connections, removing gfx card, taking out cmos battery, trying both dvi & hdmi connections)  but no hope.

Could the problem be the HDD, before I took my phenom pc apart I put a fresh formatted copy of windows 7 on , but I did not install any drivers as I was going to put the HDD in my new build.

The problem with the A2 error seems to be IDE detect.

A motherboard can operate a harddrive in two ways, IDE (often called legacy today), or AHCI.

The default setting in the BIOS is, according to the manual, legacy (or IDE). If your harddrive is formatted from a previous motherboard in AHCI, it could cause this problem. However, if you can not enter the BIOS, without any harddrives attached, I think we are at the point where you need to try to hard reset the motherboard, which can usually be done my moving a jumper. However I have never done it, and therefore don't know how to do that.

If you can get into the BIOS, I can guide you to where you need to change the setting for the harddrive.

OK

I removed the cap to jumpers 2 to 3 for 30 seconds, then back restarted the motherboard still A2.

Then I removed cmos battery and tryed the jumpers again...same A2 error

I then did it a third time this time replacing with a new cmos battery and still no.?

Here a few photos 

2qcfj39.jpg

4iyi2t.jpg

2h2mwj9.jpg

23ibfqe.jpg

2mhwshz.jpg

Was this board new or used. If it is new, have you tried reaching out to ASUS?

I will admit, this is a wired bug.

I bought the Motherboard CPU Ram combo back in October 2016, used from a auction site, from a gaming enthusiast. It was never opened till last week everything was in its original packaging.

Okay.

A little googling around reveals that this is a sort of common problem. USB devices can apparently trigger this as well. Have you tried disconnecting all kinds of storage and USB devices, like front panel USB connectors, fan controllers etc. So no other cables than power, goes into the motherboard?

Freaky motherboard, it seems you have 2 BIOS, have you tried switching to BIOS 1. You can do that with the small red button "BIOS BUTTON", next to the front IO "PANEL" connector.

The red light in BIOS 2, should switch to BIOS 1.

Next to the 24 PIN connector there is a small LED, is it blinking or always on?

If it is blinking it means your RAM is okay, if it is lighting, it has loaded some overclocking settings. Pressing the GO button before POST should switch it back to blinking.

The reference to this in the manual is "MemOK"

Hi

Thanks again for helping, I disconnected all USB devices and pressed both the Bios switch & Go button, now I've attached a small video to show you as the A2 error is gone but I get a A0 error, 

Still no post beeps and no image on monitor (DVI) and a few errors before A0 error.

This is like a game of "whack-a-mole"... - But new is always good, it means we are moving in the right direction.

Anyway, 62 seems to be an errorcode for either a faulty graphics card or PCI-E slot.

AE seems like a good place to be stuck, it means it is trying to boot from the harddrive.

Also it seems it is communicating the harddrive.

A0 is "IDE initialization is started" which along with AE means the BIOS has fully booted, and now Windows, or at least a Windows boot error should be on the screen. Or at least it is trying to.

Your problem could be your graphics card. According to the motherboard manual, it is only PCI-E 2.0 slots. The graphics card is a 3.0 card.

You might need a slightly older card.

You could try this first though:

1. Check the power to the graphics card, is the power cable properly inserted, and is the right one from the PSU? - Try pulling it out and reinstering it.
  2. Try to move the graphics card to the 3rd slot (2nd full length PCI-E slot) That is also a x16 slot.

Now I did a google search to see compatibility for 3.0 cards in 2.0 cards, but Google is not really in a helpful mood today. I only found one thread about which suggest it is possible. But maybe your specific motherboard doesn't know that, or require a BIOS update to figure it out. ?

And you are welcome, if I can, I want to help.

Hi 

I tryed the other x16 pci lane...no luck

I tryed changing the gfx power connection...no luck.

I even tryed the HDMI connection (instead of DVI) on another lcd display....nothing 

The graphics card should be working as it was taken immediately out of a phenom pc straight into this and the graphics card fans are spinning.

Don't know what to do next

It's such a shame the motherboards I/O don't have a HDMI port as the 2600k has onboard  HD graphics ???

Umm... OK it worked...

I found a old 9500GT  and put that in...

and well look at the attached video.

Could there be something wrong with the actual power cable that supplies power to the 270x as I only used these 2 connection's. 

20190719_222254.jpg

20190719_222245.jpg

20190719_222426.jpg

The best explanation I can come up with at this point, is that since the graphics card you are trying to use, the R9 270X is a PCI-E 3.0 card, and the motherboard is only PCI-E 2.0, and that is causing the problem.

You can try doing a an update of the BIOS to the latest version and try with the R9 again. But I don't know if that will work.

If the power connectors are the problem, usually the system would still boot, the graphics card just won't have full power, or show an error message during post.

Many thanks for your help...

Do you have a email PayPal account so that I can send you some money for helping me out.

Zack.

You are very welcome. ?

I do not have a Paypal account, and no way you are going to pay me money!!!

I do this, because I like to help out.

I am happy you got it all working, that was all I needed, so enjoy the weekend ?