Best CPU for RTX 2070

Go to solution Solved by KyrusDLT,
On 7/15/2019 at 5:58 PM, StarsMars said:

I know I had some weird issues with gta and other games when windows 10 creators update came out.

What version are you running?

On 7/15/2019 at 2:27 PM, WereCat said:

looks normal

get cpuz and check your voltages and clocks under load

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate the fact that you stopped me from getting a new CPU. The issue was not Windows, the issue was actually the cooler. I upgraded, again, to a different cooler and temps go perfect. Games now go smooth at max graphics and the cpu doesn't heat up. Thanks for the help!

I've been having problems for a while with my build. At first, I thought it was the CPU thermal throttling, but it seems to be something else. I decided to run benchmarks and it looks like I've got a CPU bottleneck. I upgraded to an RTX 2070, but it's greatly underperforming during gaming (about 40fps in GTA V with medium graphics for example). I'm not really sure if this is my problem tho, so that's why I'm asking for help. If it is, should i get an i7-8700k, a ryzen 2700x, or just something else?

My build is:
GPU: RTX 2070
RAM: 16GB
CPU: i7-4790k
PSU: Corsair CS850M (850W)
Mobo: GA-Z97X-SLI

9 minutes ago, KyrusDLT said:

I've been having problems for a while with my build. At first, I thought it was the CPU thermal throttling, but it seems to be something else. I decided to run benchmarks and it looks like I've got a CPU bottleneck. I upgraded to an RTX 2070, but it's greatly underperforming during gaming (about 40fps in GTA V with medium graphics for example). I'm not really sure if this is my problem tho, so that's why I'm asking for help. If it is, should i get an i7-8700k, a ryzen 2700x, or just something else?

My build is:

Ideally 3700x. But 3600x would do the job.

I just went from 4790k to 3800x and getting double fps.

3800X, Corsiar 32gig 3200mhz LPX, Asus Hero X570. 2080ti black edition

23 minutes ago, KyrusDLT said:

My build is:

4790k is perfectly fine for gaming. Your issue is somewhere else 

49 minutes ago, KyrusDLT said:

My build is:

Are you running it at 4k in windowed mode?

On 7/12/2019 at 6:26 PM, StarsMars said:

Are you running it at 4k in windowed mode?

No, I run every single game on 1080 fullscreen mode, with fps limited to 60. However, I usually can't get up to those fps in open world games.

On 7/12/2019 at 6:00 PM, WereCat said:

4790k is perfectly fine for gaming. Your issue is somewhere else 

I've been investigating a little bit, maybe my voltages are wrong? I'm wondering if you could help me figure out if these are correct.

cpustuff.jpg.aafaee5095338aca58cd8b7387952ea2.jpg

8 minutes ago, KyrusDLT said:

I've been investigating a little bit, maybe my voltages are wrong? I'm wondering if you could help me figure out if these are correct.

cpustuff.jpg.aafaee5095338aca58cd8b7387952ea2.jpg

looks normal

3 hours ago, KyrusDLT said:

No, I run every single game on 1080 fullscreen mode, with fps limited to 60. However, I usually can't get up to those fps in open world games.

I know I had some weird issues with gta and other games when windows 10 creators update came out.

On 7/15/2019 at 5:58 PM, StarsMars said:

On 7/15/2019 at 2:27 PM, WereCat said:

looks normal

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate the fact that you stopped me from getting a new CPU. The issue was not Windows, the issue was actually the cooler. I upgraded, again, to a different cooler and temps go perfect. Games now go smooth at max graphics and the cpu doesn't heat up. Thanks for the help!

That is a 1150 mobo meant to support 4th and 5th generation Intel chips. Whether you take @kiwibacon reccomendation for an AMD chip or take mine (I7-9700K) if you decide to stick with Intel, you will need another motherboard.