W10 client PC cant join Domain

Howdy all.

At home I have a server running windows server 2016 responsible for file sharing, hosting VMs and baing an active directory.

Problem being that my W10 PC refuses to join the domain, stating network path cannot be found.

I have tried pinging the server and am able to no issues (FWIW the server address is 10.1.1.105). If I type an incorrect domain name it also states that the domain doesnt exist, so the client PC can tell that the domain does exist. I can also see the server fine from the client as per below

any ideas?

TCP.PNG

My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280

3 minutes ago, astranger200 said:

Howdy all.

At home I have a server running windows server 2016 responsible for file sharing, hosting VMs and baing an active directory.

Problem being that my W10 PC refuses to join the domain, stating network path cannot be found.

I have tried pinging the server and am able to no issues (FWIW the server address is 10.1.1.105). If I type an incorrect domain name it also states that the domain doesnt exist, so the client PC can tell that the domain does exist. I can also see the server fine from the client as per below

any ideas?

TCP.PNG

windows home can't join domain, maybe that's the case ?

pretending your domain is home.lab, have you tried nslookup home.lab?

To join a domain from a client the server must be acting as a DNS and the client must be configured to use the server as it's DNS in the TCP/IP settings.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

To join a domain from a client the server must be acting as a DNS and the client must be configured to use the server as it's DNS in the TCP/IP settings.

correct. it is set to do as such. 

My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280

Besides nslookup - is the client and DC on different subnets / vlans? There is quite a large number of ports needed between the two.

3 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

Besides nslookup - is the client and DC on different subnets / vlans? There is quite a large number of ports needed between the two.

they are on the same subnet. its all under a 10.1.1.xxx

Do you see netlogon and sysvol when you browse to \\home.lab?

You didn't mention your domain name, so in my first reply I just made one up to use in my replies. Just whatever your domain.name is.

27 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

pretending your domain is home.lab, have you tried nslookup home.lab?

I've had this issue before. Try disabling IPv6 on the client temporarily, and then try joining the domain again.