Does anyone have tips for making my home network less bad

Leon110

Does anyone have a solution for my bad internet at my home i have a modem (internet only) from our cable company and it is realy bad i have done some things and this is my outcome. 

I hooked up a tp-link archer c3200 to it 

Now everything has a good conection and i have put al the big network users on 1 wifi channel (i only use one at a time) 

now everything has a steady

90-100mb/s on a wifi test all the time but everything is still slow and sometimes it just dies for a couple of minutes still with 90-100mb/s on a test. (on lan it has the same problem) 

The setup is not port forwarded the software from my cable company on the modem blocks that option :(

Does anyone have any ideas i think i am still bottlenecked by the shitty modem 

IMG_20190710_184625.thumb.jpg.04a478fff056762deeb067804d81b41e.jpgScreenshot_20190710_190253.jpg.39f197b0ed4f0a2ad6346c7d6cd5bc81.jpg

1. U could stop being a cheap ass and make more money to buy gigabit wifi.............
  2. U could not have your cables being bent to hell, looks ugly as shit and its ageing the cable faster. For shame

If u want a response then YOU'D best Quote me so I can see it.

Shouldn't have to say this but the few ruin it for them all......

Change your DNS servers to Google or Cloudflare maybe?  ISP DNS servers can be pretty terrible and be the cause of pages loading slowly when the actual speed test seems to be fine.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Jokes aside...

From what I know that random shutoff that routers do is due to much traffic for the CPU onboard. Meaning the only way to avoid that is to reduce the traffic or get a bigger pipe. Aka get a better connection. I've even tried to give my Shitty modem from my ISP a damn fan to cool the CPU inside. 

Still did nothing, thats my idea anyway. Best of luck mate.

1 minute ago, Magnetar_Byte said:

U could stop being a cheap ass and make more money to buy gigabit wifi.............

The C3200 should easily be able to handle somewhere between 300-600Mbit on 5Ghz 80Mhz channel width 2x2 MIMO.

Of course if they are using 2.4Ghz then that is very likely to have issues reaching 100Mbit.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

The C3200 should easily be able to handle somewhere between 300-600Mbit on 5Ghz 80Mhz channel width 2x2 MIMO.

Of course if they are using 2.4Ghz then that is very likely to have issues reaching 100Mbit.

Thats not the issue the issue is to many connections going through the damn thing. 

Stock modems from ISP's are shit always will be, no matter how high end u go they are still dogshit. Only way to fix that intermittent wifi outage is to get better gear or a better pipe of wifi. 

period.

16 minutes ago, Magnetar_Byte said:

Thats not the issue the issue is to many connections going through the damn thing. 

Stock modems from ISP's are shit always will be, no matter how high end u go they are still dogshit. Only way to fix that intermittent wifi outage is to get better gear or a better pipe of wifi. 

period.

Your comment makes no sense as improving the "WiFi pipe" is irrelevant as they mentioned wired has the same problem.

If its the ISP modem that is the problem then that depends on if their ISP allows replacing it.

What is unclear is if its being used as a modem (they mentioned port forwarding which would only be relevant if its configured in router mode) or have they created a double-NAT here?  Or is the C3200 only being used as an Access Point?

Ultimately if the cable modem is acting as a router, the first thing you want to find out is if you can switch it into bridge mode and use the C3200 as the router, then port forwarding from the C3200 will work and performance in general is likely to be much better.

27 minutes ago, Magnetar_Byte said:
  1. U could stop being a cheap ass and make more money to buy gigabit wifi.............
  2. U could not have your cables being bent to hell, looks ugly as shit and its ageing the cable faster. For shame

We dont have gigabit networking here yet ? our max is what i have now and that is 100mb/s and yes i know my wiring is bad it is just til it works properly

15 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Your comment makes no sense as improving the "WiFi pipe" is irrelevant as they mentioned wired has the same problem.

If its the ISP modem that is the problem then that depends on if their ISP allows replacing it.

What is unclear is if its being used as a modem (they mentioned port forwarding which would only be relevant if its configured in router mode) or have they created a double-NAT here?  Or is the C3200 only being used as an Access Point?

Ultimately if the cable modem is acting as a router, the first thing you want to find out is if you can switch it into bridge mode and use the C3200 as the router, then port forwarding from the C3200 will work and performance in general is likely to be much better.

Sorry the bridge mode is blocked on the modem/router from the company ?  that is what i ment 

1 hour ago, Leon110 said:

We dont have gigabit networking here yet ? our max is what i have now and that is 100mb/s and yes i know my wiring is bad it is just til it works properly

@Magnetar_Byte

1 hour ago, Leon110 said:

Sorry the bridge mode is blocked on the modem/router from the company ?  that is what i ment 

@Alex Atkin UK

5 hours ago, Leon110 said:

Does anyone have any ideas i think i am still bottlenecked by the shitty modem

Is that T Mobile box a mobile Cell site for you use or your modem? If your on 4G LTE there is not much you can do, speeds will be limited based on congestion to the tower and if you passed the 50 Gig threshold T Mobile has, then you packets could be deprioritized.  Disregaurd. 

If you get Internet thru a cable provider then it could be an issue with the node. The best thing to do is check your modem stats first at 192.168.100.1. Compare them to here: https://www.dslreports.com/faq/16085. If your stats look good. Then there is a possibility your on a congested node. All you can do in that case is bitch to the ISP until they do a node split. If you stats are off then that could be why your having issues. If thats the case then there are additional  steps you can take. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Now, this is not a complaint of yours. So, ignore this if yea want but.....sometimes, depending on what kind of antennas are being used, they work best in a vertical position (straight up or hanging from a ceiling). But, your complaint is not that. 

I would suggest getting your own moden and router so you can port forward and see if that helps (I'm assuming with gaming). Plus, the isp usually gives you something that technically works but doesn't perform the best. They have gotten better but, always best to buy your own.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2019 at 6:12 AM, TheCMan said:

Now, this is not a complaint of yours. So, ignore this if yea want but.....sometimes, depending on what kind of antennas are being used, they work best in a vertical position (straight up or hanging from a ceiling). But, your complaint is not that. 

I would suggest getting your own moden and router so you can port forward and see if that helps (I'm assuming with gaming). Plus, the isp usually gives you something that technically works but doesn't perform the best. They have gotten better but, always best to buy your own.

Is it posible to get/set your own modem? I did not know that but how do i put al the isp stuff to it so they wil recognize it?

@TheCMan

4 hours ago, Leon110 said:

Is it posible to get/set your own modem? I did not know that but how do i put al the isp stuff to it so they wil recognize it?

@TheCMan

You can buy a cable modem. Depending on provider it can be easy to not as easily. Comcast for instance has a list of modems that will work. Then all you do is call them up and they should just need the MAC address. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 hours ago, Leon110 said:

@TheCMan

If you're able to change your current modem to a different one depends on the type of connection you have.
You said "cable company", but do you actually have a coaxial cable connection (the old TV nonsense) or is it DSL or even Fiber?

In case of DSL or Fiber, you should be able to connect the C3200 via the WAN port directly to your ISP's connection.
(Depending on what the connection looks like, you might need to do some rewiring or get adapters.)

Afterward, you can simply input all the data to register the connection into the C3200's settings, which are provided to you by your ISP.

In case of an actual coaxial cable connection, you're most likely stuck with whatever these morons provided you with. In that case, contact those money-grabbing bastards and tell them to do their f*cking job and fix your sh*t that you pay them for.

Edit: Now that I looked closer at the picture I noticed that it is, in fact, a DSL connection and not coaxial cable.

(Btw, do you live in Germany?)

On 7/19/2019 at 11:21 AM, Leon110 said:

@TheCMan

Sorry, I do not go on here often. Either on the Box of the modem it will say "Compatible with _____" or on your ISP website they will have a list of Modems that support your isp. When you put your new Modem in you either 1: Call your ISP and tell them you are putting a new  modem in and give them the Model of the modem and the MAC (should be on the bottom of the  or 2: Go to your account under your ISP's website and set up the new modem that way.

Now, also make sure to that you no longer are renting the modem. On your bill you pay extra for the ISP's modem and router. If you use your own you can stop paying extra for this.