Ebay & Amazon

ADM_Foxtrot

I'm afraid of buying online. 

Not sure to wether to buy from Ebay or Amazon.

If I were to buy in either of the site. 

Any idea what to look out for so I won't get scammed? 

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Ebay, check seller rating and use paypal.  On Amazon, check ratings, or just buy from Amazon directly.

buy from amazon directly?

How can I tell if I'm buying from Amazon directly. 

26 minutes ago, ADM_Foxtrot said:

I'm afraid of buying online. 

Not sure to wether to buy from Ebay or Amazon.

If I were to buy in either of the site. 

Amazon will say if it's shipped and/or sold by Amazon. You can usually find it on the right side of the page next to the add to cart and buy now buttons.

image.png.5a6a8f5dc9d39a9942d4ba263e2494d0.png

Amazon is generally quite good with helping if you receive the wrong item, if the item isn't as described, or if the item is damaged. I've ordered hundreds of items from Amazon and they've always been helpful when there were issues with an item. Sometimes you do need to contact their support to get assistance, but usually you can do stuff through their system without interacting with a person.

Ebay is a bit more risky, though they also heavily side with the buyer in 99.9% of situations, even when the buyer is in the wrong. If something seems too good to be true, it's probably a scam. Watch out for sellers with poor ratings or very few ratings. I usually look through a seller's ratings before buying anything from them, that way I can see if people have issues with inaccurate descriptions, wrong items being shipped, etc... Don't be afraid to contact the seller to ask additional questions so you make sure you know what you're getting.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

4 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Amazon will say if it's shipped and/or sold by Amazon. You can usually find it on the right side of the page next to the add to cart and buy now buttons.

image.png.5a6a8f5dc9d39a9942d4ba263e2494d0.png

Amazon is generally quite good with helping if you receive the wrong item, if the item isn't as described, or if the item is damaged. I've ordered hundreds of items from Amazon and they've always been helpful when there were issues with an item. Sometimes you do need to contact their support to get assistance, but usually you can do stuff through their system without interacting with a person.

Ebay is a bit more risky, though they also heavily side with the buyer in 99.9% of situations, even when the buyer is in the wrong. If something seems too good to be true, it's probably a scam. Watch out for sellers with poor ratings or very few ratings. I usually look through a seller's ratings before buying anything from them, that way I can see if people have issues with inaccurate descriptions, wrong items being shipped, etc... Don't be afraid to contact the seller to ask additional questions so you make sure you know what you're getting.

Thank you so much. I feel more confident now xD

1 hour ago, ADM_Foxtrot said:

Always use PayPal when buying on eBay because they will protect you. It is very buyer friendly. I even bought a GPU for an extremely low price on eBay knowing that Paypal will refund me if the seller's account was hacked or a scam. It sure was a hacked account and I got my payment back within a few days. 

Amazon is literally the buyer's friendly company I have ever bought from. My sister and I contacted the support each once so far and they gave us a partial refund for very minor things. Amazon trusted our word and didn´t even want documentation.

22 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

...I even bought a GPU for an extremely low price on eBay knowing that Paypal will refund me if the seller's account was hacked or a scam...

You're still giving your personal information to the seller

Amazon - buying new, good shit with actual customer support and care.

eBay - used or cheap shit there's no reason to buy on Amazon like cables or used GPUs.

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

Had the same issue when I first started, just order from a reputable site and/or seller so that it doesn't tarnish your experience/expectations. 

With Amazon, they also have "Sold by (insert co. name here), fulfilled by Amazon" that is just as safe as buying from Amazon.
This means that said company is selling items that Amazon has in their warehouse. 

Also, Amazon customer service is top notch.

(long story on recent customer service experience)

I ordered an MSI Z270 gaming pro motherboard a few weeks ago, and it was prime so I should have gotten it in 2 days.

I got everything from my order, except for the motherboard. I called amazon, and explained that I never got it, and they found that it was never shipped but was not in the warehouse. After being transferred to a supervisor, I was told that they will cancel the order and issue a refund but I will have to wait for 6 days for the refund. 
I explained that I had a PC that was down and I needed the motherboard, so he issued me a gift card in the amount to order a new motherboard, and canceled my previous order. 

The next day he called me back and said they found the first motherboard and both had shipped before he could stop it. 
He told me to call him when I got both motherboards and he will tell me what the next step will be. 
I called the next day when I got both motherboards and I was told he will email me a return shipping label (free) and issue a refund. 
I reminded him that I paid for 1 and he gave me a gift card to get the other one in a timely manor. 

He replied that he was sorry for the incontinence and that he would issue the refund when I sent back 1 of the motherboards. 

Amazon, kept me (the customer) happy, there fore keeping me as a customer. 
I'm not just happy because I got a free motherboard out of it, I would have been just fine with paying for it like I originally intended. 
I'm happy because they made it right the first time by helping me get my pc going in a timely manor, and they did so without any reluctance.

Junk Yard Dog Build

I7 -10700K
MSI Z490 MPG Gaming Plus

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32gb (4x8gb) DDR4 (3200 MHz)

Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC Pro

Corsair H115i Platinum AIO

EVGA 750 GQ

In a Cyberpower PC X-Titan case

Amazon is safer and more convenient, e.g. for returns and warranties.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Amazon - amazing returns, CS, and availability

Ebay - use Paypal and nothing can go wrong

Newegg - Mentioning this because I shop here weekly, and the CS isn't always the best but its a legit site, I just don't buy off their marketplace often, I go newegg direct.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case