How to get into Networking

Aaron12345

So I am a ICT in the UK and support a whole building infrastructure with my team. So far I have found that the Network has been the most interesting. So I decided this is a career I want to go down and need some much needed advice.

1) I currently don't have any qulifications but will be getting CCNA in a few before I leave this work place, are certain qualifications a must have?

2) What options are there to get started i.e apprentships or degree etc.

3) Are there any company's that will pickup Military serving with some experience on the basis they get trained on the Job.

Any other advice will go a long way 

Certs can help you get past the HR bullcrap but if you can't apply them and speak to the knowledge they are nothing more than paper. As someone who has his CCNA and CCNP in routing and switching I would say you should focus not only on getting certs of any kind but looking for how they could apply to the real world and how you can talk to those key points in your studies in a manner that's less of "I memorized this" and more of a "This is how I would apply this" kind of thinking.

I would see if any companies in your area off a paid internship or co-op program or similar program while you're finishing school. That's how I got started in my current job, I was going to school for my Associates degree in networking and they had interviews for a semester co-op program where I worked while finishing school and that transferred into a full time job offer when I was done.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

22 hours ago, Lurick said:

Certs can help you get past the HR bullcrap but if you can't apply them and speak to the knowledge they are nothing more than paper. As someone who has his CCNA and CCNP in routing and switching I would say you should focus not only on getting certs of any kind but looking for how they could apply to the real world and how you can talk to those key points in your studies in a manner that's less of "I memorized this" and more of a "This is how I would apply this" kind of thinking.

I would see if any companies in your area off a paid internship or co-op program or similar program while you're finishing school. That's how I got started in my current job, I was going to school for my Associates degree in networking and they had interviews for a semester co-op program where I worked while finishing school and that transferred into a full time job offer when I was done.

I have already finished school and working a ICT in the military, just figuring how to look for jobs outside

6 hours ago, Aaron12345 said:

I have already finished school and working a ICT in the military, just figuring how to look for jobs outside

Gotcha, then any experience you have or can demonstrate will help. Depending on the position and company will vary the entry requirements quite a bit but look for something that has growth potential and whatnot obviously. You could start out in a NOC or something that doesn't need much, or any, experience, and then work your way up or at least have something to put on your resume after a year. Work on certs as needed and when they make sense, don't just get them to have them or if they won't benefit you in the long run. If you play your cards right you might even get an employer who will pay for some or all of the certs they see as necessary.

The main point I guess is study and know how to apply things to the real world. Try simulations and other virtual solutions that can get you practical experience and get you thinking of applying what you study.

Edit:

Aside from certs, I see a lot of programmability coming down into the networking field so having a good python or similar background can really help too.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I just walked into a computer networking company and asked if I could intern there and they hired me and told me they would teach me on the way. It's worked out well so far. As long as you have people that are willing to teach you.