PC restarts during benchmarks

IAmAndre

Hi,

I'm having an issue with my newly built PC that crashes during graphics benchmark. Here are the main specs:

- Ryzen 5 2600X with stock cooler

- MSI RX Vega 56

- BeQuiet Power 11 400W

- 2 Seagate Barracuda HDD's

- 2 Samsung 2.5" SSD's

- 3 case fans

Now I understand that this isn't the most powerful PSU in the world but something is odd. I'm using the GPU with the low power BIOS, and I'm monitoring temps and power usage. The GPU never consumes more than 150W and while I don't know the actual power consumption of the CPU  it rarely goes beyond 50% of usage and the temperature rarely goes beyond 80°C. I disabled the LED's on the case, and there are 4 storage devices and 3 fans as mentioned above. I'm using the latest Radeon drivers.

If you do the maths, it shouldn't go beyond 400W, or maybe not even beyond 300W so I'm not sure if it's a power issue or not. However when the PC restarts I get a notification from Adrenaline saying that an unexpected issue occurred and my power settings have been set back to default. I haven't changed them anyway.

The benchmarks I'm using are 3DMark default/free benchmark and UserBenchmark. With the latter, the crash happens as soon as the graphics benchmark begins. What's even weirder is that I ran the exact same benchmark multiple times with no issue with my previous motherboard, which was a Gigabyte B450 DS3H.

Do you have any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks

I'd say you're hitting the maximum of what your PSU can handle, given that the minimum requirements for that GPU is a 500-550 watt PSU. Perhaps the sudden burst of power to the GPU when the graphics benchmark kicks in knocks out the power supply? I would test my system with a beefier PSU before suspecting component failure.

My only talent in life is troubleshooting and fixing stuff.

4 hours ago, TheKent said:

I'd say you're hitting the maximum of what your PSU can handle, given that the minimum requirements for that GPU is a 500-550 watt PSU. Perhaps the sudden burst of power to the GPU when the graphics benchmark kicks in knocks out the power supply? I would test my system with a beefier PSU before suspecting component failure.

That's what I'm starting to think. Unfortunately I have no way of testing with a new PSU but I'll just buy a new one at some point and avoid running benchmarks...

2 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

That's what I'm starting to think. Unfortunately I have no way of testing with a new PSU but I'll just buy a new one at some point and avoid running benchmarks...

According to a PSU calculator that I fed your approximate setup into, it's recommended that the minimum wattage should be close to 500 watts. It's probably a good idea to go at least 50 watts above the maximum power consumption of your system when choosing a new supply, maybe more if you're looking to OC.

You could try underclocking/lowering the voltages of your CPU/GPU to decrease consumption if you feel adventurous, but I see it as risky business tampering with my main rig if not experienced.

I've heard good things about Corsair's supplies, and I'm quite satisfied with mine. It's worth putting some extra cash into, PSU's often have a longer life than most other components. :)

Maybe a shop near you has a time period(14 days or so?) where you can return the unit if the problem persists and get your money back? Good luck!

Edited by TheKent
Clarification

My only talent in life is troubleshooting and fixing stuff.