In need for a new PSU

TetraSky

I've decided to start buying parts for a new PC, I've already bought a Thermaltake Core v21 case, now I'm trying to decide which PSU to get. (Build will likely be Zen2+Navi based... unless it's really disappointing/Intel and Nvidia drops their prices dramatically)

I've looked at the PSU tier list on here and from my budget, (about 125$ CAD), I'm thinking the Seasonic Focus Plus GOLD 650W is a relatively good buy since I think it's A tier? I think that's the model where the fan doesn't spin unless there's a higher load, hence great for a more silent build, correct?

Is there a better PSU out there in the same price range that I missed ?

How does it compare to the Corsair TX-650M ? Are there even in the same category build quality wise? (I have a super old TX-850W at this point... I don't want to risk reusing it on a new build)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

how about whisper,Pure Power 11,Staight Power 11,Leadex Gold etc? Well the 2 of them is good but TX650M have lesser complaints and problem than Focus, but focus is getting revision i think and it will work just fine.

39 minutes ago, Oalei said:

how about whisper,Pure Power 11,Staight Power 11,Leadex Gold etc? Well the 2 of them is good but TX650M have lesser complaints and problem than Focus, but focus is getting revision i think and it will work just fine.

You mean this Bitfenix Whisper? That might work. 

As for the others, like the Pure Power 11 and straight Power 11, they are a bit out of my price range unfortunately.

What kind of problems does the Focus have? Does the Bitfenix one have any that I should be aware of?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

19 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

You mean this Bitfenix Whisper? That might work. 

As for the others, like the Pure Power 11 and straight Power 11, they are a bit out of my price range unfortunately.

What kind of problems does the Focus have? Does the Bitfenix one have any that I should be aware of?

yeah there is also still many good PSU.

Here is the problem. but the think its been solved by the pre 2019 seasonic stuff i think.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwim5YLkyJfjAhVVmI8KHe_jCR0QFjAAegQIARAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.guru3d.com%2Fnews-story%2Fseasonic-issues-warning-focus-plus-psu-has-gpu-compatibility-issues.html&usg=AOvVaw0zbok_yq25N69FQHp_tI4z

no i dont think so, the same as TXm almost none.

About "In-cable capacitors" that the Whisper has... Is that good or not? Since when has PSUs included capacitors in the cable (damn I feel out of the loop here.... goes to show I haven't built a PC in nearly 10 years)

3 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

About "In-cable capacitors" that the Whisper has... Is that good or not? Since when has PSUs included capacitors in the cable (damn I feel out of the loop here.... goes to show I haven't built a PC in nearly 10 years)

I've never heard of In-Cable capacitors, however they wouldn't have any significant benefit being integrated into the cables. Its most likely just marketing bling.

9 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

They are inconvenient for cable management, but they do help to reduce the ripple. 

:)

Well, in the end, I ended up going with a 750W Focus Gold PSU from Seasonic. (Semi modular... but lets face it, you kind of need the 24pin and 4+4 pins anyway....)

I was very much tempted by the Whisper, but looking at its noise levels from various reviews, they were much higher than the Focus in the loads I'd be running it at. I want to make this PC as quiet as possible, no spinning rust in there that's for sure... And adding my own noise dampening foam to the case... Will likely make a build log for it.
Not to mention, The Focus has a 10 year warranty compared to a 7 year warranty for the Whisper... Considering how long I've kept my current PC, I would certainly prefer having a longer warranty.

Received the Focus Gold, came with a $25 eGift card if I register it on the Seasonic website! ... AAAAAnd it's US only. All my hate.