LG Gram 17

Hello, 

I want to buy an LG gram 17 for my mother.

It's gonna be for travel and for media and for typing documents.

Is the i7-8565U, 16GB RAM for 1450 dollars an overkill for just that? I say probably, but I guess it's still worth it just for future proofing and because it's so slim? 

Is it a good laptop for over-time? I want it to last 10 years or more. 

Another question: 

There are Lg gram 17 models on ebay with i5 procesors and 8gb ram. 

Are those fake? As far as I know LG released only 1 model of Gram 17.

Thanks for all the help in advance! 

Also feel free to suggest me other laptops with a good battery, good screen and that are light and slim if you think they are better than LG gram 17.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find any laptop that's going to be relevant in 10 years time. I'd say 5 years is probably the point you'd want to be aiming for.

Personally I'd go for a Thinkpad with a swappable battery.

If you're just typing documents you don't really need 16GB of RAM, nor an i7.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

19 minutes ago, Galivnik1 said:

LG gram 17

Does is has to be 17 inch?

20 minutes ago, Galivnik1 said:

travel and for media and for typing documents.

As in youtube/netflix and word documents? Look for decent keyboard, display and batterylife (Lenovo thinkpads)

21 minutes ago, Galivnik1 said:

Is the i7-8565U, 16GB RAM for 1450 dollars an overkill for just that?

Sort of. i5 and 8gb would do. You could find decent ultrabooks like xps 13 for under 1000 usd.

23 minutes ago, Galivnik1 said:

last 10 years or more.

No way. It doesn't matter if you spend 1.5k or 15k, no hardware would last that long. I'd say maximum 2-3 years. I mean the machine may last that long depending on how she's planning to use it but hardware will be obsolete. Most manufacturers drop driver support after 3/4 years since launch.

28 minutes ago, Galivnik1 said:

There are Lg gram 17 models on ebay with i5 procesors and 8gb ram. 

Are those fake? As far as I know LG released only 1 model of Gram 17.

There are number of different configurations from i5s to i7s and various ssd capacities depending on the region. If you are shopping on ebay, first look if the seller is local or overseas as you might end up paying quite alot for shipping.

15 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I think you'll be hard pressed to find any laptop that's going to be relevant in 10 years time. I'd say 5 years is probably the point you'd want to be aiming for.

Personally I'd go for a Thinkpad with a swappable battery.

If you're just typing documents you don't really need 16GB of RAM, nor an i7.

5 years is good enough, decent time tbh. 

I was willing to spend more on Lg gram 17 because it's a 17inch that's good for travel (that's the main point of why I want to buy it). 

As far as i could tell, this is the best 17inch for travel. 

14 minutes ago, R4BE said:

Does is has to be 17 inch?

As in youtube/netflix and word documents? Look for decent keyboard, display and batterylife (Lenovo thinkpads)

Sort of. i5 and 8gb would do. You could find decent ultrabooks like xps 13 for under 1000 usd.

No way. It doesn't matter if you spend 1.5k or 15k, no hardware would last that long. I'd say maximum 2-3 years. I mean the machine may last that long depending on how she's planning to use it but hardware will be obsolete. Most manufacturers drop driver support after 3/4 years since launch.

There are number of different configurations from i5s to i7s and various ssd capacities depending on the region. If you are shopping on ebay, first look if the seller is local or overseas as you might end up paying quite alot for shipping.

Yeah it has to be 17inch, thats what im struggling with the most (finding a slim 17 inch laptop). 

Exactly that, youtube and Netflix and word documents and browsing the web and mail. 

Ok cool, even 3 years is good enough (I guess). Support wont matter as much since she will do pretty basic tasks with the computer. 

LG's official gram 17 build has only 1 configuration with i7 and 16gb ram. I guess those are configured differently by different sellers, not by LG. 

Thanks for the advice on checking where the seller is from 

1 minute ago, Galivnik1 said:

Yeah it has to be 17inch, thats what im struggling with the most (finding a slim 17 inch laptop). 

17 inches is quite a lot. Wouldnt a regular 15,6/15 inch woth thin bezels be enough?

Iirc the LG gram 17 isnt the best gram for battery life, since it cant carry a bigger one due to airtravel limits

9 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

17 inches is quite a lot. Wouldnt a regular 15,6/15 inch woth thin bezels be enough?

Iirc the LG gram 17 isnt the best gram for battery life, since it cant carry a bigger one due to airtravel limits

Tbh, 15inch is perfect for me, but she wants the biggest screen possible with with low weight. 

Edit: she wants a 17inch because it's gonna be used a lot for watching movies. 

If it has 9 hours of battery (like it says it does) then that's good enough

8 minutes ago, Galivnik1 said:

I was willing to spend more on Lg gram 17 because it's a 17inch that's good for travel (that's the main point of why I want to buy it). 

As far as i could tell, this is the best 17inch for travel. 

If I was in the market for a travel laptop, i'd personally look for 13-15 inch models as smaller machines are easy to carry around, weights less and fits in most backpacks/sleeves. Since the screen size is measured diagonally, i'd say there isn't much of an advantage going from 15 inch to 17 inch. if the screen space is important you can mess around with windows dpi settings for slightly more vertical and horizontal workspace. 

8 minutes ago, Galivnik1 said:

Well in that case, gram 17 isn't a bad choice. There are some health and safety concerns with that laptop as the chassis is mostly made out of magnesium alloy material and lg themselves suggest users to wash hands after using it for long. This is mentioned in the safety guide booklet thingy that comes with the machine but no one reads.

image.png

5 minutes ago, R4BE said:

If I was in the market for a travel laptop, i'd personally look for 13-15 inch models as smaller machines are easy to carry around, weights less and fits in most backpacks/sleeves. Since the screen size is measured diagonally, i'd say there isn't much of an advantage going from 15 inch to 17 inch. if the screen space is important you can mess around with windows dpi settings for slightly more vertical and horizontal workspace. 

Well in that case, gram 17 isn't a bad choice. There are some health and safety concerns with that laptop as the chassis is mostly made out of magnesium alloy material and lg themselves suggest users to wash hands after using it for long. This is mentioned in the safety guide booklet thingy that comes with the machine but no one reads.

image.png

Wow, i had no idea about health and safety concerns surrounding it! Thanks for pointing that out. 

I guess a 15 inch would do as well, but she said she preffers 17 inch for watching movies and stuff.  

Another thing that attracted me to the gram 17 is that it looks premium and has low weight. 

I will check out some more laptops with a lesser screen size, but 15inch is probably the lowest I'd go

So what I gathered from all your replies:

The specs are an overkill for basic tasks 

There are better value travel laptops with lesser screen sizes (i forgot to mention that it will be both a travel laptop and a main one for her so big screen is important )

This is probably the best choice if I want a slim 17 inch. 

I will think some more since I have a few more weeks until I make the decision. 

I might still buy this one even if its overkill, it looks good and has a good big screen with low weight

Thanks for all your help 

12 minutes ago, R4BE said:

LOL. California thinks every thing causes cancer. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

10 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

LOL. California thinks every thing causes cancer. 

Lmao, they do dont they. They might be right,  though not sure why LG would make a laptop from  carcinogenic materials lol

8 hours ago, Galivnik1 said:

Tbh, 15inch is perfect for me, but she wants the biggest screen possible with with low weight. 

Edit: she wants a 17inch because it's gonna be used a lot for watching movies. 

If it has 9 hours of battery (like it says it does) then that's good enough

You really need to check and see how they did the battery testing, because I almost guarantee they didn't get 9 hours from video playback. That was likely with web browsing, at half brightness, in power saving mode. Every company tests differently, there's no standardized test for battery life.

8 hours ago, R4BE said:

image.png

That's kind of fear mongering to be honest. Everything in California is known to cause cancer.

8 hours ago, Galivnik1 said:

Wow, i had no idea about health and safety concerns surrounding it! Thanks for pointing that out. 

I guess a 15 inch would do as well, but she said she preffers 17 inch for watching movies and stuff.  

Another thing that attracted me to the gram 17 is that it looks premium and has low weight. 

I will check out some more laptops with a lesser screen size, but 15inch is probably the lowest I'd go

It's really a nonissue, I wouldn't even pay attention to "known to cause cancer in the state of California" stickers. They're on literally everything.

7 hours ago, Galivnik1 said:

Lmao, they do dont they. They might be right,  though not sure why LG would make a laptop from  carcinogenic materials lol

It probably has to do with the battery. Which is pretty hard to get around, and it's not like you're going to be opening it up and playing with the insides of the battery with your bare hands.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Can’t reply to my last post as it’s been locked. But for your response to you hate reading my post...... (ᴗ ͜ʖ ᴗ) you don’t have to read them ( ཀ ʖ̯ ཀ)