Is The Switch A Good Gift For...

Mind_001

I have a brother who is 5 years younger than me. (so 28) He is disabled, but he loves playing console games, plus a few PC games.

He has a weak right side, so he can't use his right fingers, BUT he does have power in his right thumb. How he played the Atari, NES, SNES, Gameboy (original and color), N64, GameCube, Wii, (he skipped on the WiiU) PS1/2/3, and PSP. He never got into the XBox fiasco.

I know there are actual controllers you can buy, other than those numchuk (what I call them...) things. They are very close to XBox One controllers. Saw them at Target...

His birthday is in a few months, should I be getting this for him, or is this a "bad idea"? I know whatever you throw at him, he will find a way to use it...

He used to watch SMM games on YouTube, but never wanted to get the WiiU. With SMM2 coming out in a few days, I figured, he might have fun with that...

Did you happen to ask if he wanted a Switch? Or is this like, a surprise gift you're thinking of?

I think it would be a good idea if he doesn't have any consoles that he can use to play games found on the Switch. The Switch is relatively affordable, and the games are decently priced. The modularily of the joycons could also aid in his disability too, although where I'd be concerned is disconnecting the joycons from the console as you mentioned he can't use his right fingers minus his thumb.

I would recommend getting him one, he really seems like he'd enjoy the new way to play.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

3 minutes ago, seoz said:

Did you happen to ask if he wanted a Switch? Or is this like, a surprise gift you're thinking of?

I think it would be a good idea if he doesn't have any consoles that he can use to play games found on the Switch. The Switch is relatively affordable, and the games are decently priced. The modularily of the joycons could also aid in his disability too, although where I'd be concerned is disconnecting the joycons from the console as you mentioned he can't use his right fingers minus his thumb.

I would recommend getting him one, he really seems like he'd enjoy the new way to play.

He has been asking about one. So it does seems fitting. Sort of is a surprise, yes, but rather he was talking about it. Not going in blind here.

I thought so, too, that it would be good for him. I just wasn't 100% sure. But knowing Nintendo, he's always been a fan...

Sure, if he can play with a normal controller he should have no problem with the switch. I think there's only one button on the built in controls that can't be reached just with your right thumb but since they're detachable you can probably find a way around that, e.g. press it against a table.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I would think the Switch would be the best console for him.  There's a few games that allow you to play with a single joycon.  Pokemon Let's Go Eevee/Pikachu and Mario Party come to mind.

8 hours ago, Mind_001 said:

He has been asking about one. So it does seems fitting. Sort of is a surprise, yes, but rather he was talking about it. Not going in blind here.

I thought so, too, that it would be good for him. I just wasn't 100% sure. But knowing Nintendo, he's always been a fan...

Sounds like he'd really like a Switch in that case, if you have the money to buy it for him then I'd say go for it, I'm sure he'd appreciate a shiny new console. :)

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Super Mario Maker 2 is fucking fantastic. Its campaign is more fun than New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe IMO.  The joycons with their tiny buttons would probably be hard to use with a right thumb but the Pro Controller has pretty large buttons; bigger than those on the XBox One controller I think. Only thing is Mario Maker 2 is pretty hardcore with the jumps and timing you have to make, so if his disability has hampered him in the old NES and SNES Super Mario games it might be a frustrating experience for him. Switch really has a well rounded lineup of games now midway through 2019 so I bet he'd love to have one.

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Super Mario Maker 2 is fucking fantastic. Its campaign is more fun than New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe IMO.  The joycons with their tiny buttons would probably be hard to use with a right thumb but the Pro Controller has pretty large buttons; bigger than those on the XBox One controller I think. Only thing is Mario Maker 2 is pretty hardcore with the jumps and timing you have to make, so if his disability has hampered him in the old NES and SNES Super Mario games it might be a frustrating experience for him. Switch really has a well rounded lineup of games now midway through 2019 so I bet he'd love to have one.

He LOVED Mario 64. Wasn't that happy when he got Mario Sunshine for GameCube. But he liked all the NES and SNES games.

10 minutes ago, Mind_001 said:

He LOVED Mario 64. Wasn't that happy when he got Mario Sunshine for GameCube. But he liked all the NES and SNES games.

Super Mario Odyssey feels like a spiritual successor to Super Mario 64 and the two Super Mario Galaxy games. Is your brother ok with motion controls? A lot of people seem fine with the game just using buttons handheld but I found easier using motion controls for throwing Cappy. Super Mario Odyssey and Shin Megami Tensei V are the two games that made me buy a Switch. For the former it was absolutely worth it and Odyssey is my favorite Mario game since the original Super Mario Bros back in 1986.