OS selection Menu on Windows 10, I wanna get rid of it

Jawad14
Go to solution Solved by TheDelphiDude,
3 hours ago, C2dan88 said:

You also need to remove the Master Boot Record (MBR) from that drive too.

Actually, that isn't necessary, and wouldn't fix the actual issue.

He'll need to use BCDEdit to remove the entry for Windows 10 home from the boot configuration store by following these instructions

I have this 'OS selection menu' that comes up every time my PC boots up. I wanna get rid of it because I only have one OS which is Windows 10 Pro on the latest update which is version 1803 (OS build 17134.829). I just want my PC to choose 'Windows 10 Pro' every time I boot my PC, because its the only operating system I have installed on my PC. Note: I have a 2TB HDD installed in my PC. Its a 2.5" that I took it off my laptop. It used to have Windows 10 Home, but I have deleted all the Windows 10 Home files and made sure that there are no hidden ones as well.

The picture attached is not from my PC, I just got it from Google to explain what I really am getting. Instead of the options in the attached picture, am getting: Windows 10, Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Home.

Please Help.

Change_Default_OS_at_boot-3.png

Run -> msconfig -> boot tab

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

1 hour ago, Jawad14 said:

Note: I have a 2TB HDD installed in my PC. Its a 2.5" that I took it off my laptop. It used to have Windows 10 Home, but I have deleted all the Windows 10 Home files and made sure that there are no hidden ones as well.

Your Windows Pro install is detecting the MBR for Windows Home that is why it is showing that screen when booting

3 hours ago, C2dan88 said:

He'll need to use BCDEdit to remove the entry for Windows 10 home from the boot configuration store by following these instructions

On 6/28/2019 at 3:27 AM, TheDelphiDude said:

Thanks man, you really did solve my problem. I owe you xD

And just two quick questions .. first, do I have to remove the "Windows Boot Manager" as well? This question might be silly, but am curious about it because I thought that the "Boot Configuration Store's" purpose is to store all the operating systems directories.

Here's a picture of my command prompt with the information about "bcdedit /v" is displayed, where you can see the "Windows Boot Manager" at first, and followed by "Windows 10 Pro".

Second, I have my Windows 10 Pro installed on a 256GB of Samsung's 970Evo NVMe SSD, and I still experience slow boot times (about 1 minute to boot). However on the other hand, I have an HP laptop that has got a 512GB of HyperX SATA SSD, and can boot in about 10 seconds! I don't understand why my PC with an NVMe SSD takes much more time to boot than my laptop with a SATA SSD. Is it because I have lots of programs installed on my HDD? Does that affect the performance of the NVMe SSD?

Capture.PNG

59 minutes ago, Jawad14 said:

And just two quick questions .. first, do I have to remove the "Windows Boot Manager" as well? This question might be silly, but am curious about it because I thought that the "Boot Configuration Store's" purpose is to store all the operating systems directories.

No. You definitely do not want to remove the boot manager, as it's responsible for booting whatever OS(es) you might have installed.

1 hour ago, Jawad14 said:

Second, I have my Windows 10 Pro installed on a 256GB of Samsung's 970Evo NVMe SSD, and I still experience slow boot times (about 1 minute to boot). However on the other hand, I have an HP laptop that has got a 512GB of HyperX SATA SSD, and can boot in about 10 seconds! I don't understand why my PC with an NVMe SSD takes much more time to boot than my laptop with a SATA SSD. Is it because I have lots of programs installed on my HDD? Does that affect the performance of the NVMe SSD?

Unless many of those programs load at startup it shouldn't affect boot times.

Things that can have an effect on boot times are UEFI vs Legacy/CMS, BIOS options like fast boot (which limits booting to built-in devices only), and detection of USB devices during boot. For example, external HDDs will usually spin up at boot time, adding a few seconds. So compare the BIOS settings of the laptop with your PC. I've seen a huge improvement in boot times when I recently reinstalled Windows, and went from CMS to UEFI.

My recommendation would be first checking if you have installed the drivers for the storage controller, and benchmarking the NVMe to make sure its performing as it should. You might not get the maximum as specified by the manufacturer (these are always best-case scenarios), but it should be faster than the SATA SSD. If the numbers are way off, there is a driver or hardware issue at work.