Is 4k+ retina viable for Gaming?

Meng

Hi there, this is Meng. I am new to the forum, though I have been watching the videos for years.

Just out of curiosity, is 4k + retina + 144 or more + 3mm good for Gaming laptops?

It sounds expensive, but is it good? If not, what would be the best option, or the next best option?

Thanks all

Yes, no, eh maybe. Gaming at 4K may not be worth the cost on a laptop. I have an alienware 15 r3 with a 1070 which I game at 1080. I actually tested conan exiles last night from 1080 to 4k and I just couldn't see a difference on ultra settings with such a small screen. 144hz is fine  Pushing 4K at decent frame rates takes serious firepower which means serious prices.

• Good price
  • High frame rates

Pick 2

31 minutes ago, Meng said:

Hi there, this is Meng. I am new to the forum, though I have been watching the videos for years.

Just out of curiosity, is 4k + retina + 144 or more + 3mm good for Gaming laptops?

It sounds expensive, but is it good? If not, what would be the best option, or the next best option?

Thanks all

Please explain what you mean by 'retina'.

6 minutes ago, codesidian said:

Yes, no, eh maybe. Gaming at 4K may not be worth the cost on a laptop. I have an alienware 15 r3 with a 1070 which I game at 1080. I actually tested conan exiles last night from 1080 to 4k and I just couldn't see a difference on ultra settings with such a small screen. 144hz is fine  Pushing 4K at decent frame rates takes serious firepower which means serious prices.

• Good price
  • High frame rates

Pick 2

Thank you!

I would probable pick price+FR lol.

5 minutes ago, kingmustard said:

Please explain what you mean by 'retina'.

Sorry for the confusion. I may not use the term correctly.

Retina means the monitor Apple is using on their products. I felt it is brighter, neater, and clearer than the ordinary gaming PCs.

Do you feel in the same way?

Retina is a marketing term for tech. used by Apple, so what exactly do you mean by retina? Because Apple and gaming do not really go together :)

Just now, Envit0 said:

Retina is a marketing term for tech. used by Apple, so what exactly do you mean by retina? Because Apple and gaming do not really go together :)

lol thanks! this "Because Apple and gaming do not really go together :)" will probably be self-explanatory.

4 minutes ago, Meng said:

lol thanks! this "Because Apple and gaming do not really go together :)" will probably be self-explanatory.

Overall if you could tell us +- your budget and your needs (gaming, photography work etc.) it would be easier for people to give some suggestions on certain models

10 minutes ago, Envit0 said:

Retina is Apple's marketing term for displays with a high enough ppi that at the normal viewing distance you can't distinguish any of the individual pixels no matter how hard you try. You could technically label basically every android flagship and most 4K displays and TVs "Retina" as well. 

11 minutes ago, Meng said:

Sorry for the confusion. I may not use the term correctly.

Retina means the monitor Apple is using on their products. I felt it is brighter, neater, and clearer than the ordinary gaming PCs.

Do you feel in the same way?

That's just because Apple uses really nice screens. You can get really nice standalone monitors for your PC with a similar res and colors. 

20 minutes ago, codesidian said:

• Good price
  • High frame rates

Pick 2

^^ 1440p is a much better option for gaming. 4K is great for screen real estate and text, but in games there's barely any noticeable difference on the same size panel. LTT actually made a nice video on that subject: 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

5 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Retina is Apple's marketing term for displays with a high enough ppi that at the normal viewing distance you can't distinguish any of the individual pixels no matter how hard you try. You could technically label basically every android flagship and most 4K displays and TVs "Retina" as well. 

That's just because Apple uses really nice screens. You can get really nice standalone monitors for your PC with a similar res and colors. 

^^ 1440p is a much better option for gaming. 4K is great for screen real estate and text, but in games there's barely any noticeable difference on the same size panel. LTT actually made a nice video on that subject: 

Thank you so much for the information!

Yeah, I remembered this video. lol

BTW, do you know which gaming laptop manufacture/designer is using the similar monitor as the one Apple is using now?

Just now, Meng said:

Thank you so much for the information!

Yeah, I remembered this video. lol

BTW, do you know which gaming laptop manufacture/designer is using the similar monitor as the one Apple is using now?

I don't know what panels they use, and Apple uses glossy screens vs the matte/satin ones most PC laptops have. I forget who the laptop pros on this forum are, they might know. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

13 minutes ago, Envit0 said:

Overall if you could tell us +- your budget and your needs (gaming, photography work etc.) it would be easier for people to give some suggestions on certain models

Thank you.

I am more like in a stage of gathering and learning all of the information.

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

I don't know what panels they use, and Apple uses glossy screens vs the matte/satin ones most PC laptops have. I forget who the laptop pros on this forum are, they might know. 

Thank you! That is very helpful!