is this normal? fans on full at startup

Imprints
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

it even does that if I only have the none of the case fans connected to the board? All the case fans are hooked up to the fan controller powered by a molex via the power supply. Only my h80 3 pin is connected to the board. Sorry for being such a noob just curious...

Can you tell that all fans spinup to full? I think you only hear it and think that they do. As said its normal part of boot prodecure. When BIOS loads it takes control over those fan connected to it, not every fan inside case. When windows load, those fan connected to board will be controlled 3rd party software if you are using one.

So to answer question why you see only cpu fan in mobo's menu. Mobo can see only those fan that are connected directly to its ports. Since you are using Fractals controller you won't see fans connected to it.

On bit offtopic since we are in Air cooling section. Generally its not very wise to continue with same windows install when chanhing mobos. There's high risk that you will experience BSODs and other crashes or software not working properly, driver issues etc. You'll need to clear all drivers left from previous board and even that isn't always enough. But that bit random and kinda waiting game.

Hello,

I am new here and I have a question. I had just upgraded my board, cpu cooler, power supply and case. When I turn on my pc, all the fans came on full blast and settles down back to normal once I log into windows. I got the os onto a ssd so it don't take that long. Is that normal for the fans to do that? I never experienced that with my old setup.

I have a Fractal R4 and all of my case fans are connected to the fan controller. I also have upgraded from a coolermaster evo to a corsair H80 cpu cooler. The H80, I have connected the molex to the power supply and hook up the 3 pin to the board, (am I supposed to only connect the molex and not the 3 pin?)

On the bios all I saw is the cpu fan set to auto and no other fans.

Could it be also since I have a new board, I didn't do a fresh install of windows?

I am just kinda freaked out cause I am not sure what is happening. I mean everything is working fine once I get into windows.

I guess it should be normal because when your pc starts it just loads the basic stuff gettin ready for windows to be deployed. When you login to windows i presume the software controller starts to kick in and start bringing down the speeds. Try looking intoyour bios and see if it has a dedicated fan controller there. I know my ASUS board has one so my fans are controlled even when the pc starts in bios.

Yes it's normal. I've had 3 PC cases and whenever I start it up the fans would go full blast for a second then go normal

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

It's one of the motherboard POST procedures I believe. TL; DR it is normal.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

it even does that if I only have the none of the case fans connected to the board? All the case fans are hooked up to the fan controller powered by a molex via the power supply. Only my h80 3 pin is connected to the board. Sorry for being such a noob just curious...

Can you tell that all fans spinup to full? I think you only hear it and think that they do. As said its normal part of boot prodecure. When BIOS loads it takes control over those fan connected to it, not every fan inside case. When windows load, those fan connected to board will be controlled 3rd party software if you are using one.

So to answer question why you see only cpu fan in mobo's menu. Mobo can see only those fan that are connected directly to its ports. Since you are using Fractals controller you won't see fans connected to it.

On bit offtopic since we are in Air cooling section. Generally its not very wise to continue with same windows install when chanhing mobos. There's high risk that you will experience BSODs and other crashes or software not working properly, driver issues etc. You'll need to clear all drivers left from previous board and even that isn't always enough. But that bit random and kinda waiting game.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv