Titan RTX is not detected in X370 PCIe 2.0 x4 Chipset lane

phongle123
Go to solution Solved by c00face,

Update your PCIe driver through device manager. If you need help figuring out which one it is, download the program Driver Easy. More than likely it isn't detected because your PCIe doesn't have the necessary driver to detect the Titan RTX while standard it can detect older GPU's like the 1080.

Update your chipset.

Hello, I was doing some testing and noticed that when I plug my Titan RTX into the 3rd full size PCIe slot of the ASRock x370 Taichi which is PCIe 2.0 x4 from the chipset.

The PC will start up as if no drivers are installed. This is because no GPU is detected when the Titan RTX is plugged into this slot. When I move it up to one of the x16 slots it will function normally. 

When I replace the card with my 1080 Ti in the PCIe 2.0 x4 Chipset slot it will function normally as well. Driver installs and GPU is detected. 

I don't want a "Just use it in the x16 slot" that's not the point. I just want to discuss why this is like this. I read a review about the RTX 2080 Ti PCIe scaling in 2.0 x4, 3.0 x8, 3.0 x16, etc. So it seems like the RTX cards function normally on x4. This may have something to do with the Titan RTX. Googling up Titan RTX x4 slot and likewise doesnt bring up any results. 

Does anyone want to chime in on this?

8 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

Hello, I was doing some testing and noticed that when I plug my Titan RTX into the 3rd full size PCIe slot of the ASRock x370 Taichi which is PCIe 2.0 x4 from the chipset.

The PC will start up as if no drivers are installed. This is because no GPU is detected when the Titan RTX is plugged into this slot. When I move it up to one of the x16 slots it will function normally. 

When I replace the card with my 1080 Ti in the PCIe 2.0 x4 Chipset slot it will function normally as well. Driver installs and GPU is detected. 

I don't want a "Just use it in the x16 slot" that's not the point. I just want to discuss why this is like this. I read a review about the RTX 2080 Ti PCIe scaling in 2.0 x4, 3.0 x8, 3.0 x16, etc. So it seems like the RTX cards function normally on x4. This may have something to do with the Titan RTX. Googling up Titan RTX x4 slot and likewise doesnt bring up any results. 

Does anyone want to chime in on this?

PCIe lane grouping on X370 can cause driver problems in some cases.  It has to do with it being behind the chipset and how the BIOS initializes the PCIe devices.

People working on KVM virtual machine setups have noted this problem and had to use workarounds.

Update your PCIe driver through device manager. If you need help figuring out which one it is, download the program Driver Easy. More than likely it isn't detected because your PCIe doesn't have the necessary driver to detect the Titan RTX while standard it can detect older GPU's like the 1080.

Update your chipset.

Just now, KarathKasun said:

PCIe lane grouping on X370 can cause driver problems in some cases.  It has to do with it being behind the chipset and how the BIOS initializes the PCIe devices.

I do notice that in the chipset slot when the PC starts the GPU fans spin for a good 2s before the GPUs LED turns on. On the x16 CPU slot it both turns on at the same time.  

But that's the same for the 1080 Ti which works perfectly in the same chipset lane. 

Just now, phongle123 said:

I do notice that in the chipset slot when the PC starts the GPU fans spin for a good 2s before the GPUs LED turns on. On the x16 CPU slot it both turns on at the same time.  

But that's the same for the 1080 Ti which works perfectly in the same chipset lane. 

Has nothing to do with how new or old the GPU is.  Its a bug with PCIe init in the BIOS.

3 minutes ago, c00face said:

As stated when plugged into the x16 CPU slots it works normally. When plugged into the chipset x4 slot it is not detected in: Afterburner, HWMonitor, Task Manager, or Device Manager.

Titan RTX geforce drivers were manually installed beforehand.

2 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Has nothing to do with how new or old the GPU is.  Its a bug with PCIe init in the BIOS.

Please excuse me but I dont seem to understand. If it is a bug then wouldnt the 1080 Ti also not be detected just like the Titan RTX. Since they are both in the chipset x4 slot. 

4 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

As stated when plugged into the x16 CPU slots it works normally. When plugged into the chipset x4 slot it is not detected in: Afterburner, HWMonitor, Task Manager, or Device Manager.

Titan RTX geforce drivers were manually installed beforehand.

I'm not talking about your Geforce drivers. I'm talking about your motherboard PCI drivers needs to be updated. Go to device manager to manually update it or use Driver Easy. Also, update the chipset.

1 minute ago, c00face said:

I'm not talking about your Geforce drivers. I'm talking about your motherboard PCI slots needs to be updated. Go to device manager to manually update it or use Driver Easy. Also, update the chipset.

Is this something that is updated for the RTX cards? Because my 1080 Ti works perfectly in the chipset slot.

Please excuse me but I dont seem to understand. If it is a bug then wouldnt the 1080 Ti also not be detected just like the Titan RTX. Since they are both in the chipset x4 slot. 

It shows up on a few cards, I think it has to do with how many devices hang off of the primary device.

1080 Ti has the video adapter and the HD audio device.  I think the RTX cards also have something else related to the USB-C port.

Because my 1080 Ti works perfectly in the chipset slot.

You don't need to keep repeating that. We all understand it. It's irrelevant. Early Ryzen had a lot of PCIe problems that were fixed with updates.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

@JoostinOnline @c00face

Installing AMD Adrenaline worked. 

I installed Driver Easy and after as scanning saw an update for Nvidia Titan RTX which was 414MB. This seems like the geforce driver or is it the PCIe driver you were talking about?

Joostin what are some of these updates you were talking about? I'd like to update them. 

Since you installed the adrenaline drivers, AKA, your chipset drivers, you should be good now. This is what he was talking about.  

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Since you installed the adrenaline drivers, AKA, your chipset drivers, you should be good now. This is what he was talking about.  

Ahh. I thought it was just a software and I thought chipset driver meant BIOS update. I was so confused. Thanks for clearing that up. 

Thanks all for the help!

1 minute ago, phongle123 said:

Ahh. I thought it was just a software and I thought chipset driver meant BIOS update. I was so confused. Thanks for clearing that up. 

Thanks all for the help!

Yea, AMD drivers are confused, when I first switched to Ryzen, I thought the Adrenaline drivers were for Graphics cards or APUs, not the chipset.. boy was I wrong. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

12 hours ago, phongle123 said:

@JoostinOnline @c00face

Installing AMD Adrenaline worked. 

I installed Driver Easy and after as scanning saw an update for Nvidia Titan RTX which was 414MB. This seems like the geforce driver or is it the PCIe driver you were talking about?

Joostin what are some of these updates you were talking about? I'd like to update them. 

The chipset driver, which you just installed. You could also check your motherboard manufacturer's site for any updates.

Keep in mind that by using PCIe 2.0, especially an x4 slot, you'll be severely limiting your performance. The RTX Titan is one of the few cards thdt really needs at least Gen 3.0 x8, and will benefit from a 3.0 x16 slot.

The first slots PCIe slots connect to the CPU, which is the Northbridge. The last slots use PCIe lanes from the chipset, which (these days) only consists of the Southbridge. You needed to update the drivers for compatibility. More details here:

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440