What to do after a power surge

newcbomb

So my house was hit with a power surge due to a faulty neutral. Basically, we had 175v come through instead of 120v multiple times.  

Anyways, one of our surge protectors smoldered and smoked and I was wondering, should assume they are all bad?

I was using my PC on a hit surge protector and it worked fine, but when I shut my PC down, the surge protector went crazy and things that were plugged in shut off. Currently, I'm on a different power strip and its fine. 

Also, should I expect any damage to my PC's? So far, everything works (i think its because they are 110-240v) but my power company will replace it if it's messed up. 

Thanks

Specs:

Gaming PC: i5 3570, 16GB 1600MHz, GTX 780 3GB, Transcend 128GB, WD 500GB, Seagate 500GB, Thermaltake 600W Smart, S340 w/ RGB, Windows 10 Pro

Server: Xeon E5 2650, 12GB 1600MHz ECC, 8400GS, WD 2TB + 1TB + 1TB, EVGA 500B 500W, Windows 10 Pro

Laptop: Macbook Pro Retina 2013, i7 4558U, 8GB 1600MHz, Intel Iris Pro 1.5GB, Apple 256GB NVME, Mojave

Internet: $70/month For 500/100, Actually get 525/102

If everything works so far, I personally wouldn't worry about it too much.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

once the surge protector encounters a surge. i think it needs to be replaced. I am not 100% sure that you need to do that, but that might explain the issues you are having. 

You'd have to know how many joules the surge protector can handle and how many it was hit with. I'd say if you're worried, just replace them all. Better safe than sorry.

Probably blew a fuse in some of the surge protectors (idk how they work I’m assuming they have a fuse). 

Just replace them it’s like $5 each. Not worth the worry.

i imagine why the surge protector blew is your computer was probably the most power hungry thing on that surge protector

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!