I want a new 4K TV but I'm worried about HDCP 2.3

Jerry373

So as the title says I am generally worried about what HDCP 2.3 could mean in the future. That is to say that so far even though it exists, no TV's that are out now have it. Initially I wanted to buy my TV last year but heard about HDMI 2.1 and how much better that will be for me as a PC gamer. I just wonder though if I buy my TV today with HDCP 2.2, and then buy an AV receiver the following year with HDCP 2.3 followed by the next PC build probably in 2 years with next gen GPU. I'm thinking that there will be compatibility issues. Therefore wasting my money if I buy today. Any thoughts? I don't believe that it will be backwards compatible and if you ask any salesman, of course he will tell you don't worry, they will send it in an update...yeah right, why would they if they can force you to buy another TV yet again.

You are stuck waiting for the newer tech.   Forget it.  If you keep doing this you will never buy anything.

You will always be able to plug your PC or AV receiver into the T.V.  you just may not get (not that there are any guarantees you'll even notice) the latest feature/standard.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

53 minutes ago, mr moose said:

You are stuck waiting for the newer tech.   Forget it.  If you keep doing this you will never buy anything.

This. Look for stuff when you want or need it in the near future. There's always some new exciting (and more expensive) feature coming next week, but you'll never buy anything if you keep waiting for them.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Adding to what @mr moose and @tikker said, new tech appears all the time (relatively speaking), if you always wait for the latest and greatest then you'll never buy anything.

New releases do not render existing ones as obsolete or unworthy.

Yeah I sort of knew people would be saying this, and for the record the Industry loves you, but to be honest I don't really need many features but being able to pass 48Gbs vs current 18Gbs seemed worth waiting for. And as for HDCP, well if I understand correctly...It is possible that any product I would buy for my TV after this year would not work at all! That's kind of important. Needs proper digital handshake. I will put a link below that explains what I'm talking about for current HDCP 2.2, hopefully it will help. But thanks for your input nonetheless. https://www.cnet.com/news/hdcp-2-2-what-you-need-to-know/

5 hours ago, Jerry373 said:

Yeah I sort of knew people would be saying this, and for the record the Industry loves you, but to be honest I don't really need many features but being able to pass 48Gbs vs current 18Gbs seemed worth waiting for. And as for HDCP, well if I understand correctly...It is possible that any product I would buy for my TV after this year would not work at all! That's kind of important. Needs proper digital handshake. I will put a link below that explains what I'm talking about for current HDCP 2.2, hopefully it will help. But thanks for your input nonetheless. https://www.cnet.com/news/hdcp-2-2-what-you-need-to-know/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI in middle of page there's a table about what you get with different versions, so HDMI 2.0 so far is really good, but about 2.1 I don't think you will have PC powerful enough to do 4K 120Hz if you get TV that would support it.

I bought 4k TV 55UK6300MLB, got it on christmas discount for 300Eur, built a 200Eur pc and playing games on 4k, some 1440p, 60Hz and I am really satisfied.

On 6/10/2019 at 4:01 AM, Jerry373 said:

According to https://www.lifewire.com/hdcp-explained-3276387 HDCP is compatbile across versions, so it wouldn't mean that all your content becomes useless. That would be a bad move from the industry as well. So probably, as long as the content you want doesn't force features only found in 2.3, it should be fine I think.

You didn't mention the high bandwidth in your original post. Why do you need that? In my eyes it'll only be useful for either 8k material or 4k high refresh rate material, neither of which is really accessible to normal consumers at the moment. Yes there are 8k TVs and 4k 120Hz may be coming with Nvidia's BFGDs, but probably 99% of us don't even have to horsepower to drive that anyway.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

• 4 weeks later...

Don't fear, every HDCP Version was backwardscompatible, so a new PC won't say no when you want it to display a signal ment for the TV. Handshake problems just happen with badly behaving hardware. Not even a 7000€ high end Pre-Amp is surely working with every other hardware over cable X.

HDCP has only really been a thorn for early adopters of major format shifts. Example, buying a 1080P/i tv before HDMI was a thing, or buying a 4K TV before HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 were finalized.

4k will likely be the "current" format for some time, so you needn't consider hdcp in your purchase unless you're buying used equipment.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

• 2 months later...

I faced a rather unfortunate problem after upgrading my AV receiver, so far i'm not sure how to fix it or what caused it but i suspect the HDCP in my new AV receiver is the culprit.

I am connecting my PC to the AV receiver and from the AV receiver to the tv, all connections are through HDMI 2.0 cables

GPU: Titan X

Windows 10 

TV: 65UB950t 

I upgraded from Yamaha RX-V677 (which ran everything perfectly) to Denon 3600H, that's when i noticed the issue with the picture quality from the PC. The most noticeable thing was the distorted font and the picture was not smooth although the settings were the same in the PC and the TV. When i tried running my PS4 it said the device(TV) doesn't support HDCP 2.2 which was never the case when i was passing the signal to through the old receiver (Yamaha RX-V677).

I need to know what is causing the problem and how to fix it. Do i have to buy a new to TV just to match the HDCP specs of the new AV receiver when i just spent $1100 on it ?