Microsoft quietly romoves massive facial recognition database

Jtalk4456

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-48555149

Microsoft has deleted a massive database of 10 million images which was being used to train facial recognition systems, the Financial Times reports.

So this was made of images from over 100000 people and was used to help train police systems apparently

Last year Microsoft President Brad Smith asked the US Congress to take on the task of regulating the use of facial recognition systems because they had "broad societal ramifications and potential for abuse".

More recently, Microsoft rejected a request from police in California to use its face-spotting systems in body cameras and cars.

Say what you will about win 10 telemetry but this is a good move and i hope windows continues to advocate for privacy

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

It will get regulated once someone makes a video of Hillary, Obama, and Trump having a three-way involving farm animals.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

18 hours ago, Neftex said:

they deleted it after the AI was already trained i guess... so i dont see anything to be happy about

Just like how using the Windows 10 and online options to delete the data Microsoft has harvested from you is pointless because as soon as Microsoft first has it, it's compiled and aggregated in all ways so that the commercial value and result of that data will still exist even if a person deletes it through their account.

Same goes with Google and Facebook and Twitter and other data-harvesters. Once they have it, they have it in many forms. The option to delete the base form of it that's associated with your account is simply placebo and sleight-of-hand. The only way to have data privacy is to prevent companies from getting it in the first place.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

well now some people won't be as recognizable when the overlords take over!

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

No such thing as privacy or digital data rights. And there never will be. That's how this world works.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

I bet the entire fucking thing has already been compromised: either stolen (And they just think they can get away with not coping to it) or already in the hands of a government agency via a secret court with a gag order that forbidden disclosure.

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 hours ago, sof006 said:

or digital data rights

Tell that to the entertainment industry.... :D

/ON

Pure PR stunt...

as much as i understand the size of this vs the larger data issues, anything is better than nothing. As for "the data has been used" i'm fine with ai's being trained, I'm more worried about someone other than me controlling tons of pictures of me. Just having the data gone is better than nothing.

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.