Will a crosshair vii be ryzen 3000 compatible out of the box?

If I buy a Crosshair Vii and a Ryzen 3000 CPU will it work out of the box? I dont have another ryzen CPU to chuck in it and update the bios.

if its labelled ryzen 3000 ready it probably would be supported like some intel B360

3 minutes ago, mdizzle3 said:

If I buy a Crosshair Vii and a Ryzen 3000 CPU will it work out of the box? I dont have another ryzen CPU to chuck in it and update the bios.

Not at launch they wont be. You will need to perform a BIOS update on it to be compatible. However, the Crosshair VII does have a BIOS flashback that allows you to flash the BIOS without a CPU installed. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

6 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Not at launch they wont be. You will need to perform a BIOS update on it to be compatible. However, the Crosshair VII does have a BIOS flashback that allows you to flash the BIOS without a CPU installed. 

Great, I'll have a look at that.

Mh other question is on RAM. Will a 2x16gb kit at 3200mhz be better than 2 sets of 2 X 8gb kit at the same speed?

7 minutes ago, mdizzle3 said:

Great, I'll have a look at that.

Mh other question is on RAM. Will a 2x16gb kit at 3200mhz be better than 2 sets of 2 X 8gb kit at the same speed?

Depends on the work load, chances are, you dont need 32gb of system memory. 16gb is more than enough for 95% of everyday work loads. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Depends on the work load, chances are, you dont need 32gb of system memory. 16gb is more than enough for 95% of everyday work loads. 

I work with a lot of virtual machines, 32gb is a good fit for my primary use. Secondary use wil be gaming (obvs overkill for this).

If I pick up 2 sets of the same kit (2x8gb) will it be better or worse than picking up 1 kit (2x16gb)?

19 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

The 3000 compat bios was launched 1 month ago, new boards should be fine.

1 hour ago, mdizzle3 said:

I work with a lot of virtual machines, 32gb is a good fit for my primary use. Secondary use wil be gaming (obvs overkill for this).

If I pick up 2 sets of the same kit (2x8gb) will it be better or worse than picking up 1 kit (2x16gb)?

2x16gb is usually recommended if you're buying new.. It'll give you room for future upgrades as well..

4x8gb will work but you have a higher chance running 2x16 at higher speeds than 4x8gb.. Less stress on the memory controller and all that..

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

1 hour ago, ch3w2oy said:

2x16gb is usually recommended if you're buying new.. It'll give you room for future upgrades as well..

4x8gb will work but you have a higher chance running 2x16 at higher speeds than 4x8gb.. Less stress on the memory controller and all that..

Thanks for your help

On a CH7 you're gonna want 2x16GB.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case