Destiny 2 will become free to play and join Steam

IAmAndre

I did pick it up for free in November when they were having some special deal. So I guess it's fine. I'm sure that all of the people that had just actually purchased the game are a bit mad now...

42 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

so give the base game, which is empty and trash, for free, and expect people to stay and buy the content, that should have been there on release, that has the thing that actually give a bit of meaning to the game

boi

How do you think they're going to make money from a persistent game with one-time sales?

Not to say that whatever they charge will be perfectly acceptable, but there's a weird sense of entitlement in this thread where some people would happily bankrupt Bungie because, apparently, paying $35 on top of a free-to-play game is some back-breaking hardship.

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

You mean like every other expansion in every MMO ever? That is the point whole point of the games, playing new content together? I mean in D2 and FFXIV as examples you can play everything together with different DLC/expansion level, you won't just be able to do everything that is in the new DLCs. You are not locked out of the community.

Gonna let you in on a secret - I'm not a big fan of the WoW model in general.

In my experience gating content off with DLC does split the community; it may not be immediately noticeable when a game is still at the height of popularity but with time it becomes a lot more of a factor. Players who have the DLCs will eventually get bored of the "vanilla" content and will seldom play with gated players.

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

I, and a lot of FFXIVs community have a very, very different view. First, it's literally the best anti moron filter out there. Secondly, and more important, we do get big updates every 3 month, with smaller updates here and there. But it's the actual amount of content that makes it worth it. PVP, PVE, raids, gear, new areas, new this, new that, when it all adds down I am completely up for paying for it because it really is a huge amount. Some is lower quality, some is higher, depending on what you prefer, But if we're honest here, they might want to put more money into servers. The moment it goes F2P I, and again, a lot of community are gonna stop playing it. But then again, so many sub based MMOs failed so there is a general view that paying for sub is milking so I can't blame you.

A game can be not free to play and not subscription based at the same time. I don't see anything inherently wrong with periodic paid DLC as long as it's made clear from the start that the vanilla game won't be a complete experience once the DLC start rolling out. You can also have a game which has a box price and supports further development with DLC but that DLC isn't designed in a way that splits the player base; for instance you could have all players get gameplay updates (e.g. level cap changes) and limit some dungeons to the DLCs.

Again, if you enjoy it and feel you get what you paid for roll on - I'm just saying that if you no longer felt that way you would basically lose your progress to the void, which I would consider to be a bigger problem in an MMO where building your character is a big part of the experience.

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

I mean, it's not really a trial or a demo. You can play it forever, and it is the whole Y1 content. It's just that game expanded more. F2P probably is the closest term? I really don't know.

Old school demos could be played indefinitely. I can play the whole fist level and one multiplayer map of Halo CE in the demo and I can do it however many times I want - but that leaves me with an unresolved story and static content that will eventually get stale. Yeah, I got it for free but it's clearly little more than an advertisement for the game trying to hook me in for the whole thing. Which is fine - if it clearly says it's a demo and the story it's hooking me in doesn't have an indefinite amount of future DLC I need to buy to see the end.

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

Again, as is every MMO expansion or actually many SP expansions (looking at you Cities: Skylines). The point of both is that people want new content. I think you have a wrong view, per se. Most studios will probably want to milk you and yes, there are more and more of them, but because of those studios those few that actually give you something in return get unnoticed. I am not gonna pretend those studios are our friend or w/e, they care about profit, what matters is that do they give you something in return, as in your moneys worth.

I mean, should they just abandon the game with no new content or give everything for years to come for free and let it die? I don't understand what you're expecting as an alternative. It's funny because I see people praising for instance Witcher 3 for their paid DLCs how awesome they are and yes, worth the money. I won't lie that D2 has the best system, far from it. 

Unlike SP games MMOs live and die on community interaction. A SP game can be considered finished on launch (though fewer and fewer games are) but an MMO can't, by definition. It can have a good first helping of content but the design of the game revolves around constant updates.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

At least its not EGS Exclusive...

And @Sauron With the Subscription based model you get the Whole game and all features for a small fee Each month. There is no hidden cost or other stuff. Though there might be some things you can pay for...

With F2P you get a reduced Experience and have to pay for everything. The most awful examples of those are some Browser Games or Mobile (Phone) ones...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Wonder what people will get who brought it? o.0

Anyone knows if Battlenet players will be able to play with Steam players?

It might be worth reinstalling D2 just to troll a bunch of F2P players in the Crucible. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

5 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

With F2P you get a reduced Experience and have to pay for everything

Cough* Dauntless

Cough* path of exile

Cough* Warframe

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

7 hours ago, Commodus said:

How do you think they're going to make money from a persistent game with one-time sales?

Not to say that whatever they charge will be perfectly acceptable, but there's a weird sense of entitlement in this thread where some people would happily bankrupt Bungie because, apparently, paying $35 on top of a free-to-play game is some back-breaking hardship.

Oh yeah! I'm the one being entitled, yet I'm one of those who paid for the base game only to receive an empty shell of game while being asked to pay more for elements of the game that were present in the first installment of the game.

?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, Giganthrax said:

Anyone knows if Battlenet players will be able to play with Steam players?

It might be worth reinstalling D2 just to troll a bunch of F2P players in the Crucible. 

It's moving completely from B.net. You will be able to play it only on Steam. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

8 hours ago, Sauron said:

Old school demos could be played indefinitely. I can play the whole fist level and one multiplayer map of Halo CE in the demo and I can do it however many times I want - but that leaves me with an unresolved story and static content that will eventually get stale. Yeah, I got it for free but it's clearly little more than an advertisement for the game trying to hook me in for the whole thing. Which is fine - if it clearly says it's a demo and the story it's hooking me in doesn't have an indefinite amount of future DLC I need to buy to see the end.

This is very different from old school demos. It's not only 1 level, you get all Y1 content, meaning full base game campaign and 2 DLC campaign, PVP (for which you don't need the DLCs, the level makes no difference there, but weapons do though), Strikes (co-op PVE) and raids. And you can play it indefinitely. This is much, much more than a demo. Demo is a small part of the game, this is all content of what once was the full game. 

Edited by Bouzoo

8 hours ago, hiitswilliam said:

I did pick it up for free in November when they were having some special deal. So I guess it's fine. I'm sure that all of the people that had just actually purchased the game are a bit mad now...

Most people that I've seen are not mad, if it means the game will stay alive and populated and of course if you get good content. Some people are though because they've spent like $80+ over time, but then again it is not unusual for games to get given out after a while. I bought a bunch of games that were free or Humble or some other site just few weeks after. But what can you do. 

7 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

At least its not EGS Exclusive...

And @Sauron With the Subscription based model you get the Whole game and all features for a small fee Each month. There is no hidden cost or other stuff. Though there might be some things you can pay for...

With F2P you get a reduced Experience and have to pay for everything. The most awful examples of those are some Browser Games or Mobile (Phone) ones...

I'm not saying mobile f2p are good. Subscription based games have you pay regularly and eventually end up costing hundreds of bucks, more than I think is reasonable - especially in games like WoW where you also have to pay a significant amount for DLC.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

11 hours ago, MeatFeastMan said:

NO NO NO. Wrong way round Bungie! The DLC's should have become free downloads while the game stays at it's original price.. I can't stand the sight of Paid DLC's. They are old news and shouldn't exist any longer. The current Battlefield V model is the way forward for AAA games in the future. Get your money from the base price and cosmetics, not from DLC.

tbf, their DLC is essentially a new game every time they put out a new DLC. Destiny is one of the few that can genuinly charge what they do for their "DLC" because its actually quite expansive. 

6 hours ago, Smir said:

Wonder what people will get who brought it? o.0

probably nothing, its not the first time the game was free to pick and the singleplayer campaign is quite old at this point, 

D2 is one of those funny games for me, i won't play it for months at a time but when i get convinced to download it again i instantly fall in love again with shooting bad alien bois in the face

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

9 minutes ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

D2 is one of those funny games for me, i won't play it for months at a time but when i get convinced to download it again i instantly fall in love again with shooting bad alien bois in the face

Same here. Haven't played it for 3 months because of uni, I'm too afraid to even try. I know I'll get stuck in there for weeks.