We built Apple's new Mac Pro!

Apple’s fastest Mac you can buy today is the iMac Pro, and ours is fully loaded – But we completely blow it away with specs akin to Apple's fastest new Mac Pro!

Buy a Dominus Extreme:
On Amazon: https://geni.us/lsdpHEJ
On Newegg: https://lmg.gg/8KVRX

Buy a Xeon W-3175X:
On Amazon: https://geni.us/avoNHe
On Newegg: https://lmg.gg/8KVRR

Maybe try it with a Threadripper 1950X instead:
On Amazon: https://geni.us/5DRhz
On Newegg: https://lmg.gg/8KVRc

Foxlet's macOS-Simple-KVM Git repo: https://lmg.gg/8KVRm

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

You definitely beat them to it. I was saying that to my friend when we were watching the conference.

360p makes a return!

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

And yours isn't the most hideous piece of shit tech that Apple has ever developed!

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Yeah but it’s still a VM.

early reports are that opencore boot loader users have catalina installing and working so the radeon 7 drivers should be better with that and the cpu should be natively supported. Also running macOS in a vm as a Hackintosh really doesn't mitigate issues with compatibility.

Would definitely find the iMac Pro LTT Muscle Edition an interesting video, as it would also say a lot about what's there without the thermal issues.

Would also have loved to see the current Hackintosh Pro VM but with a similar vega graphics card to see how much performance is lost there by doing vm assignment, rather than the current likely driver issues.

I would like to see LTT review new MacPro (2019)

there's a few potential follow up to this video:

1. the muscle car variant of the mac pro

2. the watercooled hybrid mac pro with just holes drilled to use quick Disconnects. linking it to a thunderbolt enclosure(with a gpu inside)  that has a rad/pump/res combo or table mounted combo.

I would literally pay you for a walk through/step by step of how to do this and build this. 

I thought you were beyond clickbaits. And this is a really bad one. A horribly bad one. And the worst thing is that it will get a lot of views since it's completely misleading. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Great video.

It finally made me register in the forum ?

I have been running my Windows “gaming machine” in qemu/KVM for 4+ years now, more or less to my satisfaction. So I’m always interested in other peoples experiences.

But the list of problems just ran through so fast at the end and it left me with some questions.

4th PCI-E slot straight-up doesn’t work

Is it a hardware issue (motherboard?), a problem with the host OS (not showing up under Linux?), can it not be passed through to the VM ("wrong" IOMMU group?), ...?

virtio networking driver didn’t work

Host or macOS side? Did you have any network at all? In the system overview slide (~3:36 in the video) it says that there is 10 GbE LAN (AQC107) passed-through … ah, well, looking down the problem list "network in the VM" seems to be a source of sleepless nights.

A few remarks to the problem list from personal experience:

10 GbE NIC failed to work while Radeon VII was passed through because of that BIOS

My BIOS does not support the on-board sound card if VT is turned on... IT moves in mysterious ways.

Launching the VM again after shutting down without first rebooting the host hard locks the system

When I shut down my VM and restart it, the passed-through graphics card performance is throttled dramatically. My guess is, it’s an “unclean reset” after the VM shut down. Similar to the problems you get with some USB controllers when passed-through, maybe a voltage problem in the PCI bus?

And two final questions:

(related to the “4th PCI-E slot problem”) You do have two graphics cards installed in the system. Why not pass-through both of them and run Linux headless? There seems to be a second NIC on the motherboard and any "Linux-stuff" could be done remotely via ssh.

Have you thought about a "bare metal hardware" performance test under Linux? At least Blender should be available!?

Again, great video! Thanks.

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here,

it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

PLEASE make an original Mac Pro casemod video. There are many online, but none are detailed.

You can buy relatively cheap mods (basically aluminum brackets), so you can install various things, such as 240mm water coolers, and so on.

This is not an easy task, but I would love to see Alex and Anthony (my two favorites) work on a Mac Pro Hackintosh. It's literally a display piece if you make it right.

Cut the side so you can fit a glass or plexiglass side panel instead, while still using the original side panel.

I guarantee millions of views.

Desktop: i9 12900K - 64GB 6000 MHz CL36 - RTX 4090 X3 OC

Unraid server: Ryzen 3900X - 32GB 3200 MHz CL14 - Quadro P2000 - 50+ TB raw

Funny, on the Mac page on apple's website, it's still advertising Mojave, not updated yet to Catalina.

16 hours ago, Smileyjl97 said:

I would like to see LTT review new MacPro (2019)

Yeah, but it'd be only in 360p with shyte camera work, so you wouldn't really learn anything.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Kinda unfortunate that the only way to do this is with an extra GPU for the host, but this is really awesome! (If you're spending this much money on a workstation, that's not a big deal anyway, and the benefits of upgrade-ability outweigh it.) I don't know if MacOS will support Zen 2 ThreadRippers, but that would be interesting.

You guys know way more about Mac and production software than I do. (I don't even really understand what the Mac software does supposedly better or special.) Any more videos you want to do would be cool by me.

Thanks for posting the link to the foxlet repo, I was able to easily get Mac OS running on my Linux KVM machine.  It's a Ubuntu server running Windows 10 as a VM with dual 960 passthrough, and now has a MacOS VM as well.  The box is a Dual 6276 Opteron box with 64gb ram, so I still have room for a few more OS's but I'm going to need to upgrade my 512gb SSD pretty soon, right now my VMs are running off of spinning disk, and that just isn't much fun.  All of the Linux KVM videos and MacOS VM videos have rubbed off on me, and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

So, was the title of this based on pre-release rumors of the actual new Mac Pro, or just a weird coincidence?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

37 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

yeah come to think of it o_o although for them to film and edit within hours of the keynote (also considering the rumors of a shaky possibility of even a mac pro presentation of any kind)

Oh, I don't expect the video was any kind of "response", even to rumors...but the title with "new Mac Pro" could be a quick change.

(I mean obviously they planned to have this video on the first day of WWDC to take advantage of hightened interest in all things Apple)

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone used sr-iov for NICs?

I'm eager to know more about major fields of problems there are, as opposed to something singular that works.

Can you tell more about drivers for GPUs in the latest macos?

Can you tell more about stability of GPU passthrough (especially pci resets when reboot, and why q35-3.x is better)?

Can you tell more about how macos seems to "feel" and if it even "knows" (stability, do secured things like app store work)?

cheers

m

• 1 month later...