Upgrading from a GTX 960?

My current PC specifications are I7-6700, GTX 960, MSI z170a, DDR4-2400 8GB x2, 2TB WD Black, and PSU: CX 500.

I use my PC for 3d modeling and rendering with Sketchup, 3Ds max, Revit, Archicad , Blender, UE 4, and Lumion. Sometimes I use Premier and After effects for my project.
I have a plan to upgrade my GTX 960. My choice is GTX 980Ti, GTX 1070Ti, or GTX 1660Ti, or maybe I can use RTX 2060 but I have to wait until next year.

What is the best that I can choose?
is that any bottleneck with my current spec if i choose GTX 1660Ti? 
any suggestions? Thank you for your attention.

35 minutes ago, Oalei said:

how about Vega 64?

oh, never think about steping to red side. Thankyou, I consider it. But, if I choose it, am I need to upgrade some of my hardware? like PSU?

3 minutes ago, purshaq said:

oh, never think about steping to red side. Thankyou, I consider it. But, if I choose it, am I need to upgrade some of my hardware? like PSU?

You gotta change it anyway it's too old and bad quality, get CX550 it's cheap and decent. Everything else is ok.

9 minutes ago, Oalei said:

You gotta change it anyway it's too old and bad quality, get CX550 it's cheap and decent. Everything else is ok.

Thank you for your advice, I appreciate that.

Oh yes, 1 more question, is there a problem if I change my graphics card to the current generation like RTX? like I need to upgrade the motherboard because of RTX used new architecture and GDDR6 or something?

2 minutes ago, purshaq said:

Oh yes, 1 more question, is there a problem if I change my graphics card to the current generation like RTX? like I need to upgrade the motherboard because of RTX used new architecture and GDDR6 or something?

No you don't it's just bandwidth difference between GDDR5, GDDR3 and GDDR6 so you don't have to worry, even Vega using HBM2

1 minute ago, purshaq said:

No your motherboard is fine, I would also recommend vega 64 (or 56 if youre on a tighter budget). I use a vega 64 in my system and its a monster, I get around 115 fps in world war z maxed out at 1440p. Witcher 3 is between 50 and 60 at 1440p with all settings maxed (including hairworks)

1 hour ago, purshaq said:

I use my PC for 3d modeling and rendering with Sketchup, 3Ds max, Revit, Archicad , Blender, UE 4, and Lumion. Sometimes I use Premier and After effects for my project.

A better CPU makes more sense than a newer GPU if I'm honest...

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I think the GTX 1660ti is a great choice as it's not a power guzzler, is a massive upgrade from your GTX 960, and you still get the new Turing NVENC.

I highly recommend running through some of the indepth articles from Puget Systems on comparisons of these graphics cards in the workloads you are considering:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/all_articles.php

Is your GTX 960 a 2GB or 4GB model? I can see the 2GB model choking on some of your workloads.

EDIT: I didn't ask. What is your primary reason for wanting to upgrade? What bottlenecks are you seeing?

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

12 hours ago, Oalei said:

Ok, once again, Thank you very much, you are very helping me.

12 hours ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

No your motherboard is fine, I would also recommend vega 64 (or 56 if youre on a tighter budget). I use a vega 64 in my system and its a monster, I get around 115 fps in world war z maxed out at 1440p. Witcher 3 is between 50 and 60 at 1440p with all settings maxed (including hairworks)

Thankyou, I consider it.

12 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

A better CPU makes more sense than a newer GPU if I'm honest...

But, I heard my friend say that I need to update something if I change my CPU to the current generation.

If you're dead set on sticking on team green, you could probably pick up a 1080 for around $300~330 USD depending on the specific model and how much you haggle. Here's one on the r/hardwareswap market.

Either way, I'd definitely upgrade to a newer PSU. Something like an EVGA GQ 650w or Cooler Master MWE 750w would be pretty solid options, both 80+ gold, good quality, good warranty and both sub $80 USD. The Cooler Master one is a bit better since its fully modular and gives an extra 100w of power headroom.

8 hours ago, Jon Jon said:

I think the GTX 1660ti is a great choice as it's not a power guzzler, is a massive upgrade from your GTX 960, and you still get the new Turing NVENC.

I highly recommend running through some of the indepth articles from Puget Systems on comparisons of these graphics cards in the workloads you are considering:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/all_articles.php

Is your GTX 960 a 2GB or 4GB model? I can see the 2GB model choking on some of your workloads.

EDIT: I didn't ask. What is your primary reason for wanting to upgrade? What bottlenecks are you seeing?

OH Thank you!!! thats articles is really helpful.

My GTX 960 is 2GB, inno3d iChill GeForce GTX 960 2GB X3 Ultra.
When I built my PC, I told the shopkeeper that I needed a PC that have durability if I used a week without turning it off. And he give me that because it have a good cooling system and make my PC doesn't heat up fast.

I currently use Sketchup, Revit, and Lumion to work on my project, I'm still studying other software because my friend recommended it.

The main reason I want to update is to speed up my work, especially for rendering. I saw on the Lumion website that I needed a good GPU that had 6 GB or more of memory for the recommended requirement. I currently use Lumion 6, and I plan to buy Lumion 9, so I need to split my money.

For 3d modeling, the problem starts when my object is too complex. I need to make the entire site with several buildings in it or the finished building full of furniture, it starting to laggy.
For drawing with AutoCAD, Revit or Archicad, same as 3d modeling. The problem starts when my object is too complex.

the bottlenecks I mean is  I hear information from my friend that I need to upgrade the motherboard if I want to upgrade to current generation GPU because of RTX used new architecture and GDDR6 or something.

2 hours ago, purshaq said:

he bottlenecks I mean is  I hear information from my friend that I need to upgrade the motherboard if I want to upgrade to current generation GPU because of RTX used new architecture and GDDR6 or something.

You don't need a new motherboard to support new graphics cards, the issue is if your cpu is too old then that will bottleneck your gpu. You have an i7 6700, it should still be plenty strong enough for rendering, though, jumping up to something newer, be that a Ryzen 5 or better or a newer i7, should improve performance either way. Rendering can be memory intensive too so adding more ram could be beneficial too. 1st gen Threadripper is pretty cheap now too, a 1900X (8 core/16 threads) is $290. A R7 1700 is also about the same price, either would be great for a rendering station on a budget. Buying either used would make them cheaper as well.

5 hours ago, purshaq said:

Ok, once again, Thank you very much, you are very helping me.

No you don't it's just bandwidth difference between GDDR5, GDDR3 and GDDR6 so you don't have to worry, even Vega using HBM2

i dont think i say it twice tbh.

Vega has 64 has A lot of cuda cores, so for rendering its good and for gaming, Well 1070ti Will Beat it, but In amd tiyles like world war z it Will run faster than any nvidia gpu for that price point. 

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

Does your system have an SSD? I would add that ASAP if it does not. Otherwise I would recommend getting a 1070ti for your card.

CPU i7 8700K ( 5 GHz) RAM G Skill Trident Z 32 GB (3200 MHz) GPU EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra Motherboard Asus ROG Strix z370 E Gaming Cooling NZXT Kraken x62 R2 PSU EVGA SuperNova 650 W 80+ Platinum Storage 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO NVME M.2, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2, 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SATA, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA Display Dell QHD 144Hz 27'' Case NZXT H500 Black Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Mouse Logitech G900 Operating System Windows 10 Pro

12 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

Vega has 64 has A lot of cuda cores, so for rendering its good and for gaming, Well 1070ti Will Beat it, but In amd tiyles like world war z it Will run faster than any nvidia gpu for that price point. 

Vega 64 has 0 CUDA cores. CUDA is Nvidia. You are thinking of AMD's Stream Processors which effectively do the same thing as CUDA.

3 minutes ago, ThePD said:

Vega 64 has 0 CUDA cores. CUDA is Nvidia. You are thinking of AMD's Stream Processors which effectively do the same thing as CUDA.

Sorry my bad, i was thinkig about the stream Processors ?

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

18 hours ago, purshaq said:

When I built my PC, I told the shopkeeper that I needed a PC that have durability if I used a week without turning it off. And he give me that because it have a good cooling system and make my PC doesn't heat up fast.

I currently use Sketchup, Revit, and Lumion to work on my project, I'm still studying other software because my friend recommended it.

The main reason I want to update is to speed up my work, especially for rendering. I saw on the Lumion website that I needed a good GPU that had 6 GB or more of memory for the recommended requirement. I currently use Lumion 6, and I plan to buy Lumion 9, so I need to split my money.

For 3d modeling, the problem starts when my object is too complex. I need to make the entire site with several buildings in it or the finished building full of furniture, it starting to laggy.
For drawing with AutoCAD, Revit or Archicad, same as 3d modeling. The problem starts when my object is too complex.

the bottlenecks I mean is  I hear information from my friend that I need to upgrade the motherboard if I want to upgrade to current generation GPU because of RTX used new architecture and GDDR6 or something.

Your lag is most likely due to a lack of VRAM. 2gb of VRAM is a bit too little for larger workloads, so make sure you get at least 6-8gb VRAM, so as to better serve you for you 3d modeling

Current PC (Second Build) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (OC @3.8GHz, sometimes pushed to 4GHz) RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-2666 (OC @2733Mhz, sometimes pushed to 2800 for testing purposes)   GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX570 8gb MOBO: ASRock B450m Pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 500w Lite Case: NZXT H500 OS: Arch Linux+ KDE Plasma [Desktop Environment] & Windows 10 Pro [Broken due to grub 50% of the time]

Accessories: Mouse: Alienware AW958 Elite Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wireless  Headphones: Samsung Level On Pro

Phone (waiting on arrival): Samsung Galaxy Note 9

21 hours ago, Oalei said:

i dont think i say it twice tbh.

I mean that you are already help me twice, so thankyou ??

9 hours ago, SavageNeo said:

Sometimes I playing game like MHW, GTA V, R6, The Forest, and PUBG, with very low graphic setting because I need get higher FPS. Only GTA V and the forest I can costumize the setting because I want to enjoy the game altough only 30-40 FPS for GTA V and 60 FPS for The Forest. 

9 hours ago, mkU1tra762 said:

Does your system have an SSD? I would add that ASAP if it does not. Otherwise I would recommend getting a 1070ti for your card.

At first I used ssd, Patriot Blast 240GB, but it's broken, I don't know why. So I refund that SSD and sell it because it exchanged for new ones. Curently I only use WD Black 2TB.

8 hours ago, ImAyaanKhan said:

Your lag is most likely due to a lack of VRAM. 2gb of VRAM is a bit too little for larger workloads, so make sure you get at least 6-8gb VRAM, so as to better serve you for you 3d modeling

Yeah, I think I need a bigger VRAM, for 8GB I can Get 1070 or 1070ti, their difference is on CUDA Cores, Is that realy necessary for 3D modelling and rendering? If is not, I will take the 1070 one and safe my money for PSU, But if CUDA Cores is necessary and make a big difference, I will take 1070ti.

Yeah, I think I need a bigger VRAM, for 8GB I can Get 1070 or 1070ti, their difference is on CUDA Cores, Is that realy necessary for 3D modelling and rendering? If is not, I will take the 1070 one and safe my money for PSU, But if CUDA Cores is necessary and make a big difference, I will take 1070ti.

I wouldn't recommend using a GTX card for CAD design, as the drivers tend to freeze up and severely affect your performance.

See linus's video on this, it's got lots of really useful info.

It also looks like a quadro 2000 5gb would be a better option for you, as quadros are MUCH more optimized for this kind of workload. On the other hand, if you're going to be doing both gaming and CAD design, a vega 56 would be the perfect option for you. Hope this helped!

Current PC (Second Build) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (OC @3.8GHz, sometimes pushed to 4GHz) RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-2666 (OC @2733Mhz, sometimes pushed to 2800 for testing purposes)   GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX570 8gb MOBO: ASRock B450m Pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 500w Lite Case: NZXT H500 OS: Arch Linux+ KDE Plasma [Desktop Environment] & Windows 10 Pro [Broken due to grub 50% of the time]

Accessories: Mouse: Alienware AW958 Elite Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wireless  Headphones: Samsung Level On Pro

Phone (waiting on arrival): Samsung Galaxy Note 9

On 5/29/2019 at 8:36 PM, purshaq said:

I assume you are on a budget?

If so, I would consider getting an rx 570 8gb as they are bargain basement priced right now.

That and another 16gb ddr4 ram kit will end up costing you similar as getting a higher end graphics card alone (gtx  1660ti / rx 590 territory).

Your CPU is a bottle neck for sure, but you cant do much with 2gb vram in complex workloads. You're complaining about preview rendering, and that would be all vram and ram limitaition.

I would also recommend a budget SSD to run your windows os and applications on. You can keep your project files on the wd blacks. That's what they are designed for.

You can do all of that for easily under $300, the cost of a single high end graphics card, but these 3 items are vastly more important for your workload.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard