Birth of a Gaming Chair

Denpa

Gaming Chair vs Office Chair  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you recommend buying a Gaming Chair or a Office Chair

• Gaming Chair
    • Office Chair

Hi guys,

I'm doing some research on gaming chairs right now.

My company is build a gaming brand with online-shop for a furniture group.

It's supposed to compete with more premium brands like Maxnomic or Secret Lab.

I'm a young developer, but they thought I would fit in well with the project because i already know a lot about the gaming and e-sports industry.

I also have a good overview of the existing brands and what they focus on.

When it comes to recommending gaming chairs, most people recommend buying a good office chair instead.

See: Are gaming chairs worth it or are they gimmicky? or Should you buy a gaming chair?

The characteristic shape of racing seats is apparently even counterproductive for comfort and some people argue that they don't like the design either.

Is marketing through e-sport teams and streamers the only thing that makes people buy these chairs?

Do you think there is still potential for innovation in the gaming chair market?

Is there anything you would like to improve on your chair if you could literally create your own?

Do you think its even possible to build a Gaming Brand without the clichés and still appeal to the target audience?

I got a nice high back fo-leather office chair from work  and love it . https://www.amazon.com/BestOffice-OC-2610-Black-Office-Chair-Black/dp/B004ZVHKJE/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1O0GTSXREWAJB&keywords=high+back+office+chair&qid=1559057853&s=gateway&sprefix=hight+back+off%2Caps%2C168&sr=8-4

But it started to lose the fo-leather part so I dropped $300.00 on a "gaming chair" and when I got it in and put it all together I hated it.  The base was hard, the arm rest were hard, and for $300.00  it just did not feel like it was built well for the price.  so I dissembled it and returned it.  Now over time the chair might have been fine but I have since gone out and tested several other chairs at Stables, Ikea, and local furniture stores and all the ones that say racing or gaming on them feel about the same.  and the nicer office chairs tend to feel better 

I currently use a DXRacer.

After having used this for near five years now, I wouldn't recommend anyone use it. I picked mine up in a "perfect storm" situation, I needed a new chair (my previous one was on the brink of destruction), found this chair on sale (something like 60% off), and at the time, it fit the color design of my rig (orange/black).

Five years later:
I've gone through four arm rests (six if you count the ones currently on it), all of them have started disintegrating at the seams
The foam padding on the seat has lost a significant amount of it's original volume.
The PU leather has started to peel off the back pillow, and seat cushion
I'm on my second gas piston, which is showing signs of failure.
Given that it's a closed material (as opposed to mesh or breathable dimpling), the seat retains heat and makes for an uncomfortable experience during warmer months.
lastly, the back support doesn't securely lock into any one position. It's a minor issue, but when locked in, it's able to rock forward/backward quite substantially.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

2 hours ago, Denpa said:

Hi guys,

I'm doing some research on gaming chairs right now.

I'm a young developer, but they thought I would fit in well with the project because i already know a lot about the gaming and e-sports industry.

I also have a good overview of the existing brands and what they focus on.

When it comes to recommending gaming chairs, most people recommend buying a good office chair instead.

See: Are gaming chairs worth it or are they gimmicky? or Should you buy a gaming chair?

The characteristic shape of racing seats is apparently even counterproductive for comfort and some people argue that they don't like the design either.

Is marketing through e-sport teams and streamers the only thing that makes people buy these chairs?

Do you think there is still potential for innovation in the gaming chair market?

Is there anything you would like to improve on your chair if you could literally create your own?

Do you think its even possible to build a Gaming Brand without the clichés and still appeal to the target audience?

I think basically the bottom line is.... don't make a shitty product.  Gaming chairs bank on looks and the gaming marketing, plying the subconscious as well as the conscious mind.

I think people could handle a gaming chair being shit and uncomfortable if it had other benefits.  Like laptops have small screens yet are portable.  Big speakers are big on your desk but have great sound.  etc.  Gaming chairs suck for comfort and....????.

Frankly, if you can make a good adjustable ergonomic and comfortable office chair appeal in some way to gamers...  then you may have a good product to market.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

I currently use a racing chair from a brand called GTForce, and have been using it for around 6-9 months now. I've always liked cars such as the Audi R8, Nissan GTR-R35, BMW M4, Lamborghini Huracan, so as a person who liked the comfort and feel of these chairs, I got myself one.

I find these seat types comfortable and nice to sit in which is why I strayed away from a simple office chair.

I don't think the stigma regarding 'gaming' chairs will ever fade due to how much they're marketed for the same features and aspects that regular office chairs are marketed for e.g comfort, style, ergonomics

2 hours ago, Denpa said:

That's very ambitious of the company, these brands markup their products to huge profit margins so in what way do they intend to compete with them? Will they offer a much lower price? In which case, they'll be competing with the cheaper lower-end 'gaming' chairs with less-than-average materials in them.

2 hours ago, Denpa said:

It depends who you ask, because some people - like myself - genuinely enjoy the feels of these racing seats and can benefit from sitting on a racing bucket.

Regarding design, that's entirely personal preference as people want chairs which will both aesthetically look nice as well as support their own body shape and posture, and look for chairs that offer features for maximum comfort and ergonomics.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Here Jay explained Gimmicks vs Features, he mentioned about gaming chair in the end section of this video. Watch it!

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

The alera mid back is a great chair that comes with holes for the lorell headrest. The seat is soft and cushy and the back is breathable mesh. I'm on my 7th year of the same chair and I only needed to get new arms after a friend broke them.
https://smile.amazon.com/Alera-ALEEL41ME10B-Elusion-High-Back-Multifunction/dp/B0049UCECE

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P85C6OU

I have a secret labs titan and I love it.  I only have experience with one other chair, a $100ish office chair from Costco.  It could be one of the worst purchases I've ever made.  Within a month or two the cushion was tapped out, just felt like I was sitting on just the plywood underneath and made my back ache.

I can game for hours on the titan and if it gets uncomfortable I just take a break and go back.  No back ache anymore.  I even use it instead of the couch sometimes when watching tv with the wife. 

That's just my two cents.  I'd love to try a few other chairs but ill wait for the titan to give out first. 

Thank you very much for the feedback, here are some of my learnings.

Please correct me if you think I'm wrong.

ELSknutson

Fo-leather peels of after extended use.

First impressions compared to other chairs is important.

Semper

People like to match there Chair colors with there rig.

Component quality is important for long time use.

Closed Materials are uncomfortable during warmer months.

jstudrawa

Most Gaming chair Brands bank on looks and the gaming marketing.

People ignore ergonomics for Gimmicks.

Just build a good adjustable ergonomic and comfortable office chair, that appeals to gamers in some way.

seoz

People can benefit from the support a racing bucket gives.

Design is entirely a personal preference.

People want chairs which will both aesthetically look nice as well as support their own body shape and posture.

_Hustler_One_

Most Gaming Chairs are produced by a single source from China and are rebrandings.

Office Chairs are rated by scientific studies.

Most Gaming Chairs are not designed on the base of scientific research but on gimmicks and branding.

Gaming chairs are mostly a gimmick. They don't provide particularly great support, and they're generally horrible for your posture.
They're mostly sold because of their exposure with pro gamers. When you see the cheaper brands pop up, they're merely there because people can't afford the "higher end" ones. They're all trash, compared to a proper ergonomic char. Can you make money marketing them? Sure. Come up with a good colorway, neat logo, good price and people will likely purchase them. Just make sure you source good suppliers in China.

On 5/28/2019 at 11:34 AM, seoz said:

I currently use a racing chair from a brand called GTForce, and have been using it for around 6-9 months now. I've always liked cars such as the Audi R8, Nissan GTR-R35, BMW M4, Lamborghini Huracan, so as a person who liked the comfort and feel of these chairs, I got myself one.

I find these seat types comfortable and nice to sit in which is why I strayed away from a simple office chair.

I don't think the stigma regarding 'gaming' chairs will ever fade due to how much they're marketed for the same features and aspects that regular office chairs are marketed for e.g comfort, style, ergonomics

That's very ambitious of the company, these brands markup their products to huge profit margins so in what way do they intend to compete with them? Will they offer a much lower price? In which case, they'll be competing with the cheaper lower-end 'gaming' chairs with less-than-average materials in them.

It depends who you ask, because some people - like myself - genuinely enjoy the feels of these racing seats and can benefit from sitting on a racing bucket.

Regarding design, that's entirely personal preference as people want chairs which will both aesthetically look nice as well as support their own body shape and posture, and look for chairs that offer features for maximum comfort and ergonomics.

I don't think you really benefit from the racing bucket. They're horrible for your body, and while you might find it comfortable, that doesn't mean it's doing your body good. They don't give good posture, they have poor support where you need it, and generally aren't great. These chairs are meant for performance cars, where they're not made to be comfortable or offer your body proper support; they're meant to keep you secure, and to keep you from sloshing from side to side under higher G forces.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red