Help with case hair cooling

jazrath

I bought bitfenix prodigy midnight black case. I cant decide how to air cool it. My thought was 2 120 in front. 2 120 on top. 1 140 on rear. And maybe one 120 on bottom. Would this work or is it to much? Intake will be top and front. Rest be  exhaust

I'd advise against using the top as intake. You'd be better off leaving the top as an exhaust as hot air rises naturally anyway.

Gaming PC: i5 8600k @ 4.8GHz | 16GB T-Force Delta RGB @ 3200Mhz | Asus Prime Z370-A | Sapphire Radeon VII (Dead :( ), RX480 8GB | EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 | 120GB Sandisk SSD Plus, 120GB Kingston A400 | 4TB Seagate 7200RPM , 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Phanteks P400 Windows 10, MacOS Catalina

Second PC: i5 3340s @ 2.8GHz | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1333MHz | EVGA 750Ti SC | Cheap £7 250GB WD HDD Windows 7

LaptopLate 2009 MacBook (Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, 120GB SSD, 9400m, running Mojave) , Late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina (i5, 4GB Ram, 128GB SSD)

Consoles: Xbox One, PS4 Slim, PS3 slim, Xbox 360 fat still going strong after almost 10 years, Original Xbox, PS2, PS1

Phone: Realme 6, Xiaomi Mi A2, Xiaomi Redmi Note 4x, iPhone 6s (jailbroken)

Tablet: iPad Mini 2nd Gen Retina (Jailbroken)

Headphones:  Hifiman HE4xx, Phillips Fidelio X2, Status Audio CB-1,  Fiio E10k DAC, Schiit Magni 3+, Tin T2 IEM's, Astrotec S80

Keyboards:  2x Custom 60% - 1x Gateron Yellow, 1x Box Reds

11 minutes ago, Connor Price said:

I'd advise against using the top as intake. You'd be better off leaving the top as an exhaust as hot air rises naturally anyway.

The rate that heat rises is so slow compared to even the lowest CFM fans that it is negligible.

For an air cooled solution, using the front top as an exhaust will result in worse thermals because the fresh air from the front will be exhausted before reaching the CPU cooler.

11 minutes ago, Connor Price said:

So what would be your recommendation on setup for fans?

12 minutes ago, Connor Price said:

You'd be better off leaving the top as an exhaust as hot air rises naturally anyway.

When compared to a fan, hot air won't move at all. See GN's videos on cases.

I'd get a AP182 for the front as intake, and use the included fans as outtake

4 minutes ago, badreg said:

The rate that heat rises is so slow compared to even the lowest CFM fans that it is negligible.

For an air cooled solution, using the front top as an exhaust will result in worse thermals because the fresh air from the front will be exhausted before reaching the CPU cooler.

What would your recommendation for case fan be for the case?

What are your specs?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What are your specs?

ASUS ROG Strix B450-I Gaming Motherboard (Mini ITX) AMD Ryzen 2 AM4 DDR4 HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 B450

ryzen 5 2600x 16gb 3200 ram 

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1660 Ti OC 6G 192-bit GDDR6 DisplayPort 1.4 HDMI 2.0B with Windforce 2X Cooling System Graphic Cards- Gv-N166TOC-6GD 

Noctua NH-L9x65, 65mm Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler (Brown)

case fans will all be noctua brand and for storage Samsung 970 PRO 512GB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-V7P512BW)

Everything intake, back exhaust 

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

3 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Everything intake, back exhaust 

Explain why please

13 minutes ago, jazrath said:

ASUS ROG Strix B450-I Gaming Motherboard (Mini ITX) AMD Ryzen 2 AM4 DDR4 HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 B450

ryzen 5 2600x 16gb 3200 ram 

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1660 Ti OC 6G 192-bit GDDR6 DisplayPort 1.4 HDMI 2.0B with Windforce 2X Cooling System Graphic Cards- Gv-N166TOC-6GD 

Noctua NH-L9x65, 65mm Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler (Brown)

case fans will all be noctua brand and for storage Samsung 970 PRO 512GB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-V7P512BW)

Using the top as intake and rear as exhaust would be good. Although not necessary, extra fans at the front for exhaust would be good for extra cooling.

Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

7 minutes ago, jazrath said:

Explain why please

The cpu cooler blows downwards at the motherboard so top intake would help supply it air and not fight the airflow. The cpu fan could be mounted to exhaust towards the top but the fan blades would probably be noisier in pull on the heatsink. The graphics card cooler acts as an intake and the heatsink fins are oriented to exhaust air towards the front and rear of the case. Since the top and side are intake, all that's left is to use the rear and front of the case as an exhaust. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

8 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Using the top as intake and rear as exhaust would be good. Although not necessary, extra fans at the front for exhaust would be good for extra cooling.

Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

The cpu cooler blows downwards at the motherboard so top intake would help supply it air and not fight the airflow. The cpu fan could be mounted to exhaust towards the top but the fan blades would probably be noisier in pull on the heatsink. The graphics card cooler acts as an intake and the heatsink fins are oriented to exhaust air towards the front and rear of the case. Since the top and side are intake, all that's left is to use the rear and front of the case as an exhaust. 

Shopping on Amazon and 1200 bucks is my budget before tax and any shipping.

Just now, jazrath said:

Shopping on Amazon and 1200 bucks is my budget before tax and any shipping.

So shopping in the US?

If you don't already have the components, I'd probably recommend some different parts. The NH-L9x65 isn't very good when you can fit a larger cooler and the Prodigy is a pretty outdated case design.

9 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

So shopping in the US?

If you don't already have the components, I'd probably recommend some different parts. The NH-L9x65 isn't very good when you can fit a larger cooler and the Prodigy is a pretty outdated case design.

I like the design and look of prodigy. I bought the case already. Yes I live in USA. I have not  bought CPU cooler but since it a mini itx build I did not want put to big of cooler on. I want stick with noctua for all fans and CPU cooler. I know there good. I can change CPU cooler If you recommend one and tell me why.

32 minutes ago, jazrath said:

I like the design and look of prodigy. I bought the case already. Yes I live in USA. I have not  bought CPU cooler but since it a mini itx build I did not want put to big of cooler on. I want stick with noctua for all fans and CPU cooler. I know there good. I can change CPU cooler If you recommend one and tell me why.

The Prodigy is pretty big and has plenty of room for a large cooler. Despite being itx, it has a footprint that's as large or larger than many atx mid towers.

Are you oc'ing? Why stick to Noctua in particular?

3 hours ago, jazrath said:

I bought bitfenix prodigy midnight black case. I cant decide how to air cool it. My thought was 2 120 in front. 2 120 on top. 1 140 on rear. And maybe one 120 on bottom. Would this work or is it to much? Intake will be top and front. Rest be  exhaust

Heat rises, but dust collects quickly if it sucks in air. Linus did a test earlier this year I believe where they tried "all in", "all out" and "thru" type configurations.

Suffice it to say, DUST magnet for "in" fans.

ltt-1.jpg.45f960cf1722bc2ff72785ff4a93e243.jpg

The thru setup, or more typical setup, results in a lot of dust concentrated on the filters, so "intake" fans should be filters, but also cleaned more often. The "outy" (all out) configuration resulted in dust collecting on every hole in the chassis, and then collecting on the inside of filters of the "out" fans.

So in a nutshell, if the chasis has a filter for that fan, that should be an intake fan, otherwise it should be an out fan.

2 hours ago, Kisai said:

Heat rises, but dust collects quickly if it sucks in air. Linus did a test earlier this year I believe where they tried "all in", "all out" and "thru" type configurations.

Suffice it to say, DUST magnet for "in" fans.

ltt-1.jpg.45f960cf1722bc2ff72785ff4a93e243.jpg

The thru setup, or more typical setup, results in a lot of dust concentrated on the filters, so "intake" fans should be filters, but also cleaned more often. The "outy" (all out) configuration resulted in dust collecting on every hole in the chassis, and then collecting on the inside of filters of the "out" fans.

So in a nutshell, if the chasis has a filter for that fan, that should be an intake fan, otherwise it should be an out fan.

Thanks so much. The bitfenix prodigy midnight black has filters for top front and bottom fan. But not rear. I know positive pressure is when you have more coming in then being exhaust. An that typically what you want with fan cooling.