Upgrading from 500W to 850W worth it?

Benjji
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
1 hour ago, Benjji said:

What does the switch at the back do? (Single/Multiple +12 volt)

Toggles between Multi Rail and Single Rail modes on the PSU. Just leave it set to Multi Rail.

TechQuickie has a video explaining the difference between the two which will give you a basic idea of what it is.

3 minutes ago, Benjji said:

Last question (sorry), will 750 watts be too much for the setup I’m running right now? Ryzen 3 2200g + 1060 6gb. Should I wait and buy it when I upgrade or just buy it now?

Your Ryzen 2200G + GTX 1060 will use around 200w.
Having too high of a wattage won't really hurt it, so whether you buy it now or later isn't much of a concern except for your wallet. May as well buy it later when you're actually getting the rest of the parts so you have a better idea of the system you're building. Or just hold off and keep an eye out for a sale on it and buy it when it goes on special.

Right now, I have a 2200g with a 1060 6gb, though I plan on upgrading in the future to a ryzen 7 or 9 and a 2080ti. I was wondering if it’s worth upgrading my power supply to a 500w to a 850w. I don’t care about the costs but actually if I will need to upgrade once I upgrade those parts. 

Thanks,

Ben

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Mobo: Asrock AB350 Pro4 | Ram: G.Skill Trident Z (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Intel 545s Series 256GB M.2 (SATA) SSD/Western Digital WD Blue 1TB/Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD | GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 1060 6GB AMP! Edition | Case: NZXT S340 Black Case | PSU: Corsair HX750 | Operating System: Windows 11 Pro | Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini White MX Brown | Mouse: Logitech G Pro Wireless | Headphones: Astro A50 Gen 2 | Mic: Rode NT-USB | IEMS: KZ ZSN Pro X

If you have a decent 500W PSU then you really dont need tu upgrade.

If you plan on OCing both CPU and GPU and run them both at 100% then you will be definitely pushing it though, for those purposes, upgrade may not be a bad idea.

But for typical gaming loads, 500W will be fine.

Whats your particular model?

6 minutes ago, WereCat said:

If you have a decent 500W PSU then you really dont need tu upgrade.

If you plan on OCing both CPU and GPU and run them both at 100% then you will be definitely pushing it though, for those purposes, upgrade may not be a bad idea.

But for typical gaming loads, 500W will be fine.

Whats your particular model?

Yeah that’s one of my worry’s: The 500w power supply I have right now is pretty cheap. It’s a Silverstone Strider Essential 500w. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Mobo: Asrock AB350 Pro4 | Ram: G.Skill Trident Z (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Intel 545s Series 256GB M.2 (SATA) SSD/Western Digital WD Blue 1TB/Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD | GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 1060 6GB AMP! Edition | Case: NZXT S340 Black Case | PSU: Corsair HX750 | Operating System: Windows 11 Pro | Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini White MX Brown | Mouse: Logitech G Pro Wireless | Headphones: Astro A50 Gen 2 | Mic: Rode NT-USB | IEMS: KZ ZSN Pro X

1 minute ago, Benjji said:

Yeah that’s one of my worry’s: The 500w power supply I have right now is pretty cheap. It’s a Silverstone Strider Essential 500w

yeah, upgrade makes sense then

1 minute ago, Benjji said:

Yeah that’s one of my worry’s: The 500w power supply I have right now is pretty cheap. It’s a Silverstone Strider Essential 500w. 

Yeah, that's not great... Definitely shouldn't be used with an RTX2080Ti. Should be replaced when you upgrade the rest of your system. If you're spending AUD $2000+ on a graphics card you can afford a decent PSU to go with it.

No need for 850w. 850w would only be needed for two RTX 2080tis in SLI. A good quality 550w unit is usually recommended for a system with a Ryzen 7 + 2080Ti.
What's your budget for the PSU?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

An upgrade makes a lot of sense then, but realistically, unless you're going for 2080/Vega territory PLUS i7/i9 territory (heavily overclocked) 500w is mooooore than enough.

EDIT: Zen2 is rumored to be more energy effiecient than 8th and 9th gen intel sooo, going on that you probably won't need more than a 5-600w unit (even when pushing hard on non-exotic cooling).

Main rig: i7 8086K // EVGA Z370 Micro // 16GB Gskill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL14 // Sapphire Pulse RX 7800XT// a variety of noctua cooling // Corsair RM750x v2 //  Fractal Meshify C

Secondary rig: R5 3600 // MSI B450i Gaming Plus // 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200CL14 // MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X // Cooler Master V650 // Fractal Meshify C

Audio setup: Audient iD4 // Adam A7X // Sennheiser HD 650 // Sennheiser HD 25-II // Audio Technica M50x // Sennheiser Momentum 4

21 minutes ago, Benjji said:

Right now, I have a 2200g with a 1060 6gb, though I plan on upgrading in the future to a ryzen 7 or 9 and a 2080ti. I was wondering if it’s worth upgrading my power supply to a 500w to a 850w.

No, but a higher quality PSU is recommended.

You don't need no 850W for a normal Single GPU/CPU system, 550W is already plenty. You need to really push your stuff to get close to 550W.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

34 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, but a higher quality PSU is recommended.

You don't need no 850W for a normal Single GPU/CPU system, 550W is already plenty. You need to really push your stuff to get close to 550W.

Well yeah, but if a higher quality psu is recommended, I may as well spend a few extra bucks for a lot more watts.

2 minutes ago, Benjji said:

Well yeah, but if a higher quality psu is recommended, I may as well spend a few extra bucks for a lot more watts.

Why?

What's the benefit?

If we talk about the same Plattform (for example Bitfenix Whisper M), the 650W+ have a higher RPM fan...

You just waste money. You should invest in better quality units, Wattage means nothing...

5 minutes ago, Benjji said:

then get 650w. 850 is waaay overkill. With 650w, you can still unleash your GPU&CPU. I don't know your options, but here the most popular PSU-s for 650-watt are
Bitfenix WhisperM, Formula Gold; BeQuiet! Straight Power& PurePower11; Corsair TX or RMX series and occasionally SuperFlower Leadex Gold-Platina. The 600-650w should be plenty, even with OC.

I'd rather buy a 550-600w PSU from top-notch offerings, than a cheapo-solution 850w.

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Why?

What's the benefit?

If we talk about the same Plattform (for example Bitfenix Whisper M), the 650W+ have a higher RPM fan...

You just waste money. You should invest in better quality units, Wattage means nothing...

Often forgotten, but worth thinking over: Most modern systems consume very little wattages while idle. It would make no sense to get so huge power output PSU, that the idle - browsing power requirement would be below 20% load. It would not be that efficient.

Also there is this test, where the displayed values are for the actual power DRAWN from the wall-socket-plug, so, the actual power requirement for the systems in fact, even lower. Even a 1080Ti (FE) system needs to draw ~300W under gaming. I generally recommend, that under full stress, the load on PSU should be around 70%. So I guess a 650w would even permit OC-ing the components. And I don't think that a 2080ti really needs to tweak in order to offer fine performance... : o)

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

10 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

then get 650w. 850 is waaay overkill. With 650w, you can still unleash your GPU&CPU. I don't know your options, but here the most popular PSU-s for 650-watt are
Bitfenix WhisperM, Formula Gold; BeQuiet! Straight Power& PurePower11; Corsair TX or RMX series and occasionally SuperFlower Leadex Gold-Platina. The 600-650w should be plenty, even with OC.

I'd rather buy a 550-600w PSU from top-notch offerings, than a cheapo-solution 850w.

Well I mean I was looking at the Corsair RMX850w - doesn’t really seem cheapo, but if you reckon 650 is enough, I’m still probably gonna go with 850 for $30ish more.

For a consumer-level CPU and a single GPU, anything above 650W is completely useless.  Even with overclocking you're very unlikely to ever draw more than 500W. 

If you really want to spend extra on a good PSU, look for something that has good efficiency (80+ platinum or titanium) and a nice long warranty. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

For a consumer-level CPU and a single GPU, anything above 650W is completely useless.  Even with overclocking you're very unlikely to ever draw more than 500W. 

If you really want to spend extra on a good PSU, look for something that has good efficiency (80+ platinum or titanium) and a nice long warranty. 

Will do. Thanks

7 minutes ago, Benjji said:

Well I mean I was looking at the Corsair RMX850w - doesn’t really seem cheapo, but if you reckon 650 is enough, I’m still probably gonna go with 850 for $30ish more.

For a normal single CPU/GPU System there is no reason to go 850W.

You have to push your CPU to 400W or more or the GPU to 500W or more. 

That is very impractical for normal Desktop CPUs. 

And you don't really benefit from "moar Watt" anyways. its just a waste of money.

It makes more sense to look for better quality units. Such as be quiet Dark Power PRO for example.

Or Corsair HX instead of the RM.

But going "Overwatt" has little to no benefit. Especially for Single Rail units. 

9 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

For a normal single CPU/GPU System there is no reason to go 850W.

You have to push your CPU to 400W or more or the GPU to 500W or more. 

That is very impractical for normal Desktop CPUs. 

And you don't really benefit from "moar Watt" anyways. its just a waste of money.

It makes more sense to look for better quality units. Such as be quiet Dark Power PRO for example.

Or Corsair HX instead of the RM.

But going "Overwatt" has little to no benefit. Especially for Single Rail units. 

Would you recommend the Corsair 750w HX?

47 minutes ago, Benjji said:

Would you recommend the Corsair 750w HX?

Over 850W RMx? Without a doubt, any second.

7 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Over 850W RMx? Without a doubt, any second.

I would love to buy the HX650w, but it says that it's discontinued, so I think i'm gonna go ahead and grab the HX750. Thanks a lot of your help. :)

10 minutes ago, Benjji said:

I would love to buy the HX650w, but it says that it's discontinued, so I think i'm gonna go ahead and grab the HX750. Thanks a lot of your help. :)

The HX650 is old, has been discontinued for a while.
The new series starts at 750w. You want the HX750 80+ Platinum which has the grey label.
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/hxi-series-2017-config/p/CP-9020137-NA

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

The HX650 is old, has been discontinued for a while.
The new series starts at 750w. You want the HX750 80+ Platinum which has the grey label.
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/hxi-series-2017-config/p/CP-9020137-NA

Ah okay, I see. Thank you kind sir. :)

Last question (sorry), will 750 watts be too much for the setup I’m running right now? Ryzen 3 2200g + 1060 6gb. Should I wait and buy it when I upgrade or just buy it now?

1 hour ago, Benjji said:

Toggles between Multi Rail and Single Rail modes on the PSU. Just leave it set to Multi Rail.

TechQuickie has a video explaining the difference between the two which will give you a basic idea of what it is.

3 minutes ago, Benjji said:

Your Ryzen 2200G + GTX 1060 will use around 200w.
Having too high of a wattage won't really hurt it, so whether you buy it now or later isn't much of a concern except for your wallet. May as well buy it later when you're actually getting the rest of the parts so you have a better idea of the system you're building. Or just hold off and keep an eye out for a sale on it and buy it when it goes on special.