Dead Z97 Motherboard Upgrade or Find Replacement

Hey Guys,

So my old build with an Asus Maximus Hero Vii is dead and I am trying to consider my options and see what is best.

I am looking for a replacement board but it is really hard to find and the ones I find are pretty expensive. I have an i7 4790K processor with it.

Now I got a couple of options either to replace the board or upgrade (the processor and ram with the mobo) and I can't seem to decide what the best option is. 

I mostly play Age of Empires 2 on my rig but with also with some other rare AAA titles as well. Would really like the help on this or maybe even finding a cheap board to replace with for at least a year maybe

Asus Z97-A, AR, etc are all decent choices. They're workstation boards with some pretty decent power delivery, and feature rich. Their prices on eBay are not so bad.

If you do decide to upgrade, new processors will be available soon, I'd wait  

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Given the fair amount of work it takes to replace a board, a likely Windows reinstall (plus all applications), and the resale value of the CPU, I'd probably lean toward jumping to a Ryzen system. Though the DDR4 requirement is the only thing that holds me back from a full recommendation.

If you choose to upgrade, new stuff comes soon.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Yeah, Z97 boards are a little on the high side but to me, keeping the 4790K is worth it for now. Like others said, new stuff is arriving soon so I wouldn't upgrade right now. I'd pay the $100-140 to keep the 4790K going for now, then upgrade in around 6 months or so. You could repurpose the 4790K build later on. That's what I've done. When I built the original incarnation of my current main rig, I rebuilt my 4790K system into an HTPC. I like that computer and Windows 8.1 too much to give it up anytime soon.

Me personally I'd get this board or one similar:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-Z97-A-LGA-1150-Motherboard-USED/254240365662?epid=216050153&hash=item3b31e81c5e%3Ag%3AZ-wAAOSwL8xcgvi0%3Asc%3AUSPSPriorityFlatRateBox!38401!US!-1&LH_BIN=1

I have the newer USB 3.1 version of this board and it has been a solid board for the 4+ years I've had it.

Those board still command good money so it’s not great value to buy one.that said if you want afford the jump to a DDR4 platform then you’re options are limited.

maybe investigate a repair? I’m sure some places can do mobo repairs?