5Ghz wifi two routers

Recently I moved in with a friend and he has a older comcast modem/router that only has a 2.4ghz wifi signal. So I went and bought a router that has both 2.4ghz and 5ghz. I connected the router and set up a separate network. I disabled 2.4ghz from the new router, after awhile of the router working on and off I looked up tutorials on what to do and set up a lan to wan router. That didnt work so I switched it function to an access point. All my problems I have with it are, it randomly disconnects, games like seige wont connect to servers and it boots me from the game. And overall a more general laggy feel from the 2.4ghz network on the primary router. I know that I could just bridge the connection from the old router and make it a modem only. But the problem is my friend and his mom want to keep the old network intact because they dont want to set everything up again. Which just makes it harder to work with. Is there any way I can make the 5ghz signal work and ha e the old router work with the 2 4ghz also?heres also a photo for reference 

1558666986494921447577716492870.jpg

Do you have the ability to upgrade and get rid of the double router?

Also, what are you supposed to be getting in terms of bandwidth from your isp vs what you get after running speed tests? 

7 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Do you have the ability to upgrade and get rid of the double router?

Not exactly the biggest problem is my friend and his mom want to leave the old one still up. If allowed I would just use the comcast router as only the modem. I also didnt see your second part. But I dont know exactly what there speeds are supposed to be but with the 5ghz when it works it gets up to 21MBs 

Edited by guiltyspartan98

Is the 5ghz router in your room? 5ghz has a very short distance compared to the lower frequency range. (It's stronger at closer proximities, but gets weaker quickly as your distance increases)

7 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Is the 5ghz router in your room? 5ghz has a very short distance compared to the lower frequency range. (It's stronger at closer proximities, but gets weaker quickly as your distance increases)

It's in the living room. It's only one wall separating me and the router.

Are the network ids the same for 2.4GHz and 5GHz?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

4 minutes ago, nick name said:

Are the network ids the same for 2.4GHz and 5GHz?

No they have different names. Only thing they have in common is when I set up the lan to wan I have second routers gateway address as the primary router. The home A222 is the 2.4ghz and the R6S is the 5ghz

Screenshot_20190523-211242_Chrome.jpg

You are suffering from double routing issues sounds like to me. Its not the best way to deal with it but if you take the cable from the comcast modem and plug it into a LAN port on your new router instead of going to the WAN port, you basically are just adding a switch instead of a router. It doesn't chew up the overhead and add additional protocols. What works better is to get a dedicated 5G AP as opposed to a full blown router but at this point, that point is moot. DHCP will be done by the router in the Comcast modem and you shouldn't lose much if any speed in that layout.

What you are going to want to do.

1) Disable DHCP, FIrewall and all that jazz on the TP Link Box. 

2) Set the TP Link router's IP address to something outside the Comcast gateways DHCP server. You may have to edit these settings in the Comcast gateway. For example many routers will allow you to set where the DHCP server starts. Some might start at 192.168.1.2, but you change that last number to something else. Like 20. Then set the TP Link routers IP to 192.168.1.2. This way you an easily access the TP link router if for what ever reason you need to. 

3) Connect the TP Link routers LAN port to a LAN port on the Comcast gateway. 

You may also want to disable the 2.4 Ghz radio on the TP Link router if the Comcast gateway is going to be used as an AP as well. This way you dont have interference on the 2.4 Ghz band. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.