Forum signatures.

Ineko

So I've noticed that this is one of the only forums I regularly visit that doesn't allow pictures to be in your signature, and I can't see why this is. None of the forums I visit have problems with obscene signatures, they of course have a resolution limit so they're not stupidly big either.

I like doing signatures in photoshop for games etc. for people to have as their signature and I just thought it'd be cool if we could use them here. People could do some cool stuff and embed a link to their build log in their signature etc.

Thoughts?

I didn't make this one, but here's one a guy made me for WoW, as an example.

6ADpKqO.png

I could see it easily getting out of hand, and I don't want to spend more time scrolling than reading posts.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

This should go in the forum features and suggestion page. Also I am not a big fan of pics in sig. The threads will look more streamlined without them.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

I could see it easily getting out of hand, and I don't want to spend more time scrolling than reading posts.

This should go in the forum features and suggestion page. Also I am not a big fan of pics in sig. The threads will look more streamlined without them.

I beg to differ. I much prefer a well done picture to almost a paragraph of PC specs. 

Sorry I don't think images in signatures will happen. I really like the less-cluttered approach we have here now.

If we do decide to add them at some point it'll likely be a "contributors only" feature to avoid things getting too cluttered.

I beg to differ. I much prefer a well done picture to almost a paragraph of PC specs.

Most people (only one I've seen who hasn't) list their specs horizontally, and that takes much less space than a picture  which is the only reason I prefer no pictures in signatures. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Sorry I don't think images in signatures will happen. I really like the less-cluttered approach we have here now.

If we do decide to add them at some point it'll likely be a "contributors only" feature to avoid things getting too cluttered.

:c

put a pixel limitation, I think that would be great, I also hate forums where they don't manage photos in signatures, but I would still like it regardless. Maybe  this size? (480 x 125)

Library1099-480x125.jpg

I'd rather not see them. There's no real point to them and they do nothing more than clutter the forum.

MOBO - Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0   CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3.5GHz - Corsair H80i   RAM - 2x Corsair Vengence 4GB DDR3 @ 1666 MHz   

GPU - SAPPHIRE 100362-3L Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC  Sound - ASUS Xonar DSX  PSU - Thermaltake SMART M Series SP-850M 850W

Yeah but the forum looks more clean without pics. For instance, I;m on the dark theme. Everything is dark and there's white text in the signatures. Now pictures could be any color, any hue, of anything. I could see me disliking it.

A man of charm with strange quarks. 

I really enjoy scrolling through posts without the clutter, you know?

Having an image under every post just makes it seem to... busy.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Yes, since I want to put my OC validation banners in my sig.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

No pictures is much better.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 | RAM: 8GB Kingston Beast 1866MHz

Case: Define R4 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780ti | PSU: Corsair CX600M | SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO

.... and a Partridge in a pear tree! 

I really enjoy scrolling through posts without the clutter, you know?

Having an image under every post just makes it seem to... busy.

It would only be 480 x 125 maximum (imo) And of course not everyone would have a banner/picture.

Here's a thread for example. I personally don't think it looks cluttered.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/798026-Post-your-gaming-setup!/page632

I'd almost be OK with a limited contributors sort of thing.

Like 450px by 125px max size kind of thing. I used to be into the photoshop signature thing, and a small signature really looks nice compared to large and flashy.

For those who care, however, there should be an option to disable signatures. It's an extra half second or so with small images allowed anyway, it is not that straining on your index finger to scroll an extra inch or two.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

My opinion about signatures

I

I

V

Signatures are stupid.

i have to agree with no, first off all LTT users with slow internet connections will feel the hit, then other users on smartphones will have frustrating load times. then there is the look and moderating and making sure everyone has appropriate pictures ( people never read the COC when the first sign up ) and then to finish it off it will slow down and as megadave91

and for the person who said just make a option to turn it off, well its gotta be programmed and tested and its just alot of extra problems and hassles.

So yeah.  thats my 2 cents im with linus here the forum with out images looks great!

Please Quote so i know you have replied. | If we have provided a solution to your problem mark it with answer found.

And also please read the COC and avoid the embarrassment and lecture that will ensue.

From a forum management perspective, they increase page load time. 

From a forum management perspective, they increase page load time. 

Maybe if you're still on dial up.

Say there's 40 posts on one page and every one of them has signatures (highly unlikely). If they were all 400x100 images that would be on average an extra 1.6MB to load, going off the image I posted in my OP.

And if everyone is so worried about load/times and how long it would make the thread why does no one do anything about all of the people that post 800x800 (usually much larger) memes over and over again and don't even contribute to the thread?

And as I posted before, take this thread for example. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/798026-Post-your-gaming-setup!/page632

The signatures don't clutter it, they don't make load any slower at all. They actually look nice and add a little bit more personal customization.

I like this and dont mind that you would have to contribute to get it, just another small reason to do so but one that if you dont your not really missing out.

Even though I highly doubt we will ever be able to have them, I don't feel like it would be too bad if they remain tasteful, and have limits.

EX: (It's the best example I have)

c1.png

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society