Is it okay of I use Uninterruptible Power Supply for my gaming pc?

gta6287

If so, can you guys recommend what kind of UPS should I get?

< ̄`ヽ、       /  ̄ >

ゝ、  \ /⌒ヽ,ノ   /´

ゝ、 ( ( ͡◉ ͜> ͡◉) /

>     ,ノ

sorry for my bat englandski

Having a UPS is a really good idea, actually. Odds are low-ish your computer will be damaged by a sudden power outage, but it can sometimes cause the OS to get a little wonky.

As far as what kind, take your PSU's rated wattage and find one rated to that wattage, or as close as you can get. For example, I found a CyberPower UPS on Amazon that's rated at 600w that can run for 2 minutes at full load. My computer will never draw the full 600w, but it gives me a cushion over 2 minutes, plus some headroom for other devices plugged into it (monitor, etc). Higher rated wattage on a UPS will translate to longer run-time, I use a 1000w one personally.

EDIT: Real quick, it's important to remember what a UPS is there for: not to let you keep gaming when the power goes out, it's just there to give you time to save and shut down your system properly.

I'm pretty sure my purpose in life is to serve as a warning for others.

How could we possibly know what to suggest if we don't know your setup?

2 hours ago, gta6287 said:

If so, can you guys recommend what kind of UPS should I get?

Online, pure sine wave or however that is called that puts out a real sine wave.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I’ve used several and have been pretty unhappy with all of them.

never had one last longer than a year even though it was extremely uncommon for it to actually kick on. I even had a few that puffed up and leaked acid. Environmental conditions were fine. UPS units are just crap (the ones I got anyway)

Do not buy APC or Tripp Lite

6 hours ago, dDave64 said:

Do not buy APC or Tripp Lite

That's crazy.  I have to question your application then.  Or maybe the particular units you're using?

Tripp Lite is top of the line.  Hands down.

I personally use an APC SmartUPS 1500VA.  It's about 10 years old and still works flawlessly.  Only had to replace the batteries once.

Even Cyberpower, which is typically cheaper than APC or Tripp Lite, is usually pretty good too.  When I used to install PBX's, we would also install the Cyberpower 1500VA and never had an issue with them.

Using apc for mine for a few years. Works wonderfully. Have the main monitor, modem and router on it as well so my gaming doesn’t get interrupted by lack of internet either. Also keeps my alarm systems connected. 

Think it’s labeled as an “900” watt unit. I’d have to check the model. I’d go as large as the budget would allow as more is better when the power is out. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

42 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

That's crazy.  I have to question your application then.  Or maybe the particular units you're using?

Tripp Lite is top of the line.  Hands down.

I personally use an APC SmartUPS 1500VA.  It's about 10 years old and still works flawlessly.  Only had to replace the batteries once.

Even Cyberpower, which is typically cheaper than APC or Tripp Lite, is usually pretty good too.  When I used to install PBX's, we would also install the Cyberpower 1500VA and never had an issue with them.

It’s possible that it was just really bad luck. May have something to do with elevation (I live at 7,000 feet in Colorado). I seriously don’t know. I’m an IT Tech/AV Engineer so I know how to use and take care of this kind of stuff.

I had an APC and then a Tripp Lite in my personal life that both failed within a year and then at my place of employment we probably had 30 different UPS units from APC for a few critical workstations. Most of those failed too, mostly in less than a year. Maybe we bought faulty units? ?‍♂️

interestingly enough, we haven’t had any issues to speak of with our enterprise units connected to our servers. Also from APC.

I actually really like the idea of a UPS but I guess my faith in the technology has been shaken and because of that I haven’t had one recently. Maybe I should try again.

14 hours ago, Blze001 said:

EDIT: Real quick, it's important to remember what a UPS is there for: not to let you keep gaming when the power goes out, it's just there to give you time to save and shut down your system properly.

Thanks for the reply. I'm a graphics designer btw so it's kinda important for me to save my work when the power goes out.

13 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

How could we possibly know what to suggest if we don't know your setup?

I'll be getting my first gaming rig next week. The specs are i7-9700k, 2080ti, 850w psu, 16gb 3200mhz ram

After reading through the replies, I think i will get tripp lite 1000w

< ̄`ヽ、       /  ̄ >

ゝ、  \ /⌒ヽ,ノ   /´

ゝ、 ( ( ͡◉ ͜> ͡◉) /

>     ,ノ

sorry for my bat englandski

I know keen Football Manager players who swear by UPS..

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz