Techfanatic2000

Hello guys,

So i just build my 2nd PC with the following specs:

Ryzen 7 2700x 

Asrock steel legend b450M 

2x8gb RAM 2933Mhz

Rtx 2080

650 Watt power supply (VS650 corsair).

As soon as i flicked the switch on the power supply (I didnt press the power button on PC) The fans started turning for 10 sec then turn off. This cycle repeated itself 4x untill i started seeing smoke coming from the CPU/ Motherboard. I heard a spark and the whole case filled smoke.

I thought it was not problem and a few seconds later i tried to boot again. This time nothing worked at all.

What do you guys think the problem is? You think the PSU didnt have enough Watts to power the components (i made sure i bought a brand PSU, from corsair)??

Thanks

Edit: Turns out the PSU fried on startup. Don't buy entry level PSU's for high end builds (VS is shit). I am glad that the power supply didnt take any components with it. At least Corsair has good surge protection

16 minutes ago, Techfanatic2000 said:

Hello guys,

Ryzen 7 2700x 

2x8gb RAM 2933Mhz

Rtx 2080

As soon as i flicked the switch on the power supply (I didnt press the power button on PC) The fans started turning for 10 sec then turn off. This cycle repeated itself 4x untill i started seeing smoke coming from the CPU/ Motherboard. I heard a spark and the whole case filled smoke.

I thought it was not problem and a few seconds later i tried to boot again. This time nothing worked at all.

What do you guys think the problem is? You think the PSU didnt have enough Watts to power the components (i made sure i bought a brand PSU, from corsair)??

Thanks

Which specific psu did you buy from Corsair 650w should of been be enough I would of thought

Current rig

NZXT S340 Elite

Kraken x62

Gigabyte Aorus WIFI Pro 

32gb 3000mhz corsair Vengeance RGB PRO  

I7 9700k

Rtx 2080 asus strix

1tb samsung evo ssd

1tb wd hdd

samsung 27” 1440p 144hz monitor

7 minutes ago, Kokomo said:

Which specific psu did you buy from Corsair 650w should of been be enough I would of thought

VS650

28 minutes ago, Techfanatic2000 said:

VS650 corsair

29 minutes ago, Techfanatic2000 said:

Rtx 2080

Potential PSU failure, high end graphics card with low end PSU.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Something is seriously wrong, I would advise you DO NOT power it up again until you thoroughly inspect it.

PSU should be more than enough to boot the machine perfectly fine, smoke would not be a side effect of a slightly underpowered PSU, and 650W should be perfectly fine for a single GPU system.

First of all, one of your components is probably dead, hopefully just one of them in any case.

Can youy identify where the smoke was coming from? Was it from the CPU itself, or under the CPU or just near it on the motherboard.

Next thing I would do would be to double check all the connectors are in the right place, check for thermal paste or similar on the CPU pins and surrounding motherboard. Check you used the correct risers for the motherboard so it cannot touch the metal case behind it. Check no screws or other 'debris' have caused a short somewhere.

Check no molex installed backwards (yes it can be done, I've seen it).

Basically check everything you have done yourself. If you are very lucky (or unlucky depends how you look at it) it was a faulty motherboard / CPU to begin with and you can RMA it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X · Cooler: Heatkiller IV Pure Copper · Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi · RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4x8GB 3800MHz CL14 · Graphics Card: AMD HD6970 (RIP RTX3090) waiting for 3090Ti to replace ·Boot Drive: 500GB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drives: Samsung 960 EVO 512GB SATA SSD + TeamGroup 512GB M.2 NVME SSD · PSU: Seasonic GX1300 80+ Modular Gold · Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo White · Monitor: BenQ 32" 4k @ 60Hz, 2560*1600 @ 120Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB · Mouse: Corsair K55 RGB · Cooling: 5*120mm Wide Radiators, D5 Pump, 14 Fans.

5 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

The GPU won't go to full power until drivers have been installed and a 3D application has started. OP says this was the first boot so GPU will remain in low power mode. Even if it was an underpowered PSU, it's still a Corsair and not a cheap off-brand, smoke would not be the expected outcome. The expected outcome would be crashing of either games or the OS itself. Smoke is an indicator of a far bigger issue.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X · Cooler: Heatkiller IV Pure Copper · Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi · RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4x8GB 3800MHz CL14 · Graphics Card: AMD HD6970 (RIP RTX3090) waiting for 3090Ti to replace ·Boot Drive: 500GB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drives: Samsung 960 EVO 512GB SATA SSD + TeamGroup 512GB M.2 NVME SSD · PSU: Seasonic GX1300 80+ Modular Gold · Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo White · Monitor: BenQ 32" 4k @ 60Hz, 2560*1600 @ 120Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB · Mouse: Corsair K55 RGB · Cooling: 5*120mm Wide Radiators, D5 Pump, 14 Fans.

44 minutes ago, Techfanatic2000 said:

Hello guys,

Ryzen 7 2700x 

2x8gb RAM 2933Mhz

Rtx 2080

Thanks

It's possible the board shorted out on the case bridging something enough to cause it to pop and burn or a something with the PSU internally failed preventing OCP/OVP to kick in and protect your hardware the best it could. I would advise taking apart the system and inspect the CPU/GPU/MOBO/RAM and PSU thoroughly and see what could be the cause for failure.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Just to make sure I have just checked online at some power statistics.

The 2080 under load peaked at just under 350W, peak being less than 50ms. 'Usual' consumption was around 250W.

The PSU has a 52A 12v rail. 52 * 12 = 624 Watts available (at 12 volts).

Even at its peak power consumption that would leave ~275 watts for the rest of the system. nVidia recommends a minimum 650W psu, and they have to take in to account that someone will run one of an off brandy cheap PSU, so there is still some leaway in that.

Its not the PSU being underpowered, though that doesn't mean it wasn't a faulty PSU to begin with.

3 minutes ago, KingCry said:

It's possible the board shorted out on the case bridging something enough to cause it to pop and burn or a something with the PSU internally failed preventing OCP/OVP to kick in and protect your hardware the best it could. I would advise taking apart the system and inspect the CPU/GPU/MOBO/RAM and PSU thoroughly and see what could be the cause for failure.

11 minutes ago, PGRacer said:

The GPU won't go to full power until drivers have been installed and a 3D application has started. OP says this was the first boot so GPU will remain in low power mode. Even if it was an underpowered PSU, it's still a Corsair and not a cheap off-brand, smoke would not be the expected outcome. The expected outcome would be crashing of either games or the OS itself. Smoke is an indicator of a far bigger issue.

20 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Hey guys!

I found out what the problem is:

I thoroughly inspected the components and it turned out there was a microscopic person barbecueing on the motherboard. He was roasting some sausages as soon as i plugged in the power. I snapped his neck with my finger and threw him out the window.

I just booted the PC again now it works like a charm! Thanks guys

4 minutes ago, Techfanatic2000 said:

Hey guys!

I found out what the problem is:

I thoroughly inspected the components and it turned out there was a microscopic person barbecueing on the motherboard. He was roasting some sausages as soon as i plugged in the power. I snapped his neck with my finger and threw him out the window.

I just booted the PC again now it works like a charm! Thanks guys

good to hear, those pesky barbecuers are always no good!

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

So what was it really?

9 minutes ago, PGRacer said:

So what was it really?

Smoke apparently came from the PSU. Changed the PSU for a cheap 500Watt one and the PC works. Gonne RMA the PSU, and get a better one (TXM series i think)

46 minutes ago, Techfanatic2000 said:

Smoke apparently came from the PSU. Changed the PSU for a cheap 500Watt one and the PC works. Gonne RMA the PSU, and get a better one (TXM series i think)

Not great for you obviously, but probably the best possible outcome given the circumstances.

I would be careful running the PC on a cheap 500W for gaming, but its plenty to get the machine installed etc.

Glad you got it up and running, enjoy your new PC!

1 hour ago, PGRacer said:

Not great for you obviously, but probably the best possible outcome given the circumstances.

I would be careful running the PC on a cheap 500W for gaming, but its plenty to get the machine installed etc.

Glad you got it up and running, enjoy your new PC!

Nah i used the PSU to test if the system starts up, wont be using it for gaming. Thanks man :)